Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salt Flats 37-38 Willys sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan in Canada, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Dan in Canada

Dan in Canada

There was a really cool late 30's Willys (37-38?) sedan that ran at Bonneville in the late 90's. It was orange and heavily chopped.

Unfortunately, I think the car was destroyed after only a couple years.

I'm looking for a photo of the car. Does anyone out there remember the car, or have a photo of it?

Thanks,

-Dan

2. Dan in Canada

Dan in Canada

It was a four door, and I THINK it may have had a big red hot pepper painted on the side. (maybe)

3. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry i don't know anything about the car but i can't wait to see a picture of it.

4. violet springs

violet springs

Woody Parker, Gasser Gossip September/October 1996

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. tinmann

tinmann

That wasn't a Willys. It was Vern Tardel and it was something like an Airflow or Crosley. I can't remember exactly but it wasn't a Willys.

6. I saw the shell of it in Don Waldron's Willys junkyard several years ago.

7. Dan in Canada

Dan in Canada

That's IT!!! Thank you.

I still love the look of that car. It still looks like a Willys to me, though.

8. noboD

noboD

Being clocked at 178 on the roof doesn't sound like fun!

9. tinmann

tinmann

I think I was stuck on the chili pepper thing and was thinking of the wrong car. That WAS tardel's car with the pepper.............. honest.

10. You may also try searching on landracing.com The car was mentioned there with pictures in the last year or so.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The chilly pepper car was a Nash Rambler. Chopped, with a blown flathead. And cooler than the law usually allows.

12. rfraze

rfraze

I met a few of the safety crew that was at the scene of the skid. Jay Roach of The Santa Barbara Acceleration Association told the story. The crew chased down the skidding Willys and jumped out to aid the driver, BUT it was still spinning. So, naturally, gambling broke out!! Hats were thrown down to claim which direction the spinning Willys would come to a stop' proving that even the safety crew at Bonneville is a fun bunch!! Last contact with Woody was in Grants Pass, Oregon.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  13. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I was there watching it go by on the roof. If you look here http://www.landracing.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=257 some where in the roughly 180 pictures I took over the years that were put on a disc by Salt Cat driver Doug Grieves youll find a nice one of the car in the pits prior to the roof job

14. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

15. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is so cool.

16. Dan in Canada

Dan in Canada

Thanks for posting this great photo. 15 years later, I STILL remember it. Cool cars will do that to you. ;)

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The Willys was in my first calendar and I have a few copies of that page still, pm if you are intersted. I tried to located it many years ago but as Kiwi Kev says it ended up at the Willys West camp after Woody passed. It was a four door, but after the roof slide they converted it to a two door. I would love to see it back as either a B-Ville car or a quarter mile runner.

18. tjm73

tjm73

Pretty sure that was in an issue of Street Rodder around that same time. Cool car.