Register now to get rid of these ads!

392 hemi T Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiTCoupe, Apr 12, 2013.

1. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

Howdy,
    I am getting ready to build my frame for my Coupe. I will using a 392 I have, and it will be full fendered, un-chopped.

I would like to ask those that have used a hemi in a T coupe, as to what I need to do to the cowl, to keep the stock frame size. I don't want to lengthen it, or cut the cowl, other then for the the dist.

Post any info, or pictures that will help me build this.

Here is my body and motor, and a picture of a coupe a guy back in Mn has before he painted it orange. I am after this look. but with a 392 with Hilborn injection. I have already converted the injection to electronic in jectors myself.

I hope he doesn't mind me using his pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Tall T - COOL!!! Pro street, barf. Monochrome paint, yack. Please spend some time here learning how to do these cars justice. Oh, and a hemi is a little bigger than the banger, something has got to give with respect to the original design!

3. 73RR

73RR

As Doc hints, keep the reference to the 'pro-street' design top secret. There is little (or no) love on this board for that style of build and you will likely hear about it.:(

Keep the stock firewall dimensions? not stretch the frame? I'll watch to see how this works out for ya.

4. I love this kind of stuff. The old 10 lbs. in a 5 lb. sack. Let me know how that works out. Just am going through that now with my A Roadster.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

5. TomWar

TomWar

My T Roadster has a 112" Wheelbase.

Attached Files:

• Show.jpg
      Show.jpg
      File size:
      490.5 KB
      Views:
  6. Hey Pat, looks like a nice start. I hope the pro street thing isn't part of the plan though. Those little cars look so sweet with a quick change and a set of cheater slicks out back. What part of TN are you in? I'm near Knoxville.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to agree with everyone else, lose the pro -street part of it, the cars you posted just look stupid with the big steamroller tires.

It will be a nice car if you do it right.

8. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

Evil,
    I am in Deer Lodge, in Morgan Co.

I didn't even realise it had large tires on it.

I see a couple of full fendered T's, that don't look like they have been stretched for their hemi's (look like) here on the Hamb. I hope they don't mind me reposting their car pic's.

Can someone tell me the stock dimension from the top of the frame, to where the front spring sit's, and how wide the inside is. I need to make this mount.

Pat

Attached Files:

9. Look close and you'll see both of these cars have the firewall cut to clear. The Red on more than the other.

10. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

The RPU isn't cut more then just for the dist, the step on the bottom half of the firewall is stock shape. I know the coupe is cut back, but only in inch or two from the seam around the firewall to the cowl. But not much like most say it needs to be. As in 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag. I have been told I never do things the easy way.
    If you look at the seam on mine, you can see P.O. move it some already.

Pat

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  11. TomWar

TomWar

my engine is a 392 with a BBC water pump, from the back of the distributor to the front of the water pump pulley is 32"

12. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

Can anyone tell me what the GPH of a hemi, or Big block chevy water pump is? Or where I can find The info.

Pat

13. TomWar

TomWar

I don't know the GPH, But, I know that mine runs cool, the only time I have ever turned on the electric fan is in bad traffic on a hot day, and then only for a few minutes.

14. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

I'm thinking of not running a basic water pump, and using a electirc marine pump(s) and making the front look kinda like a dragster type hemi, with a hilborn fuel pump on the front instead. That is why I need to know the GPH.

Now I need a Hilborn type fuel pump, and a timming cover to hold it. I don't want one thats good, anyone have one...cheap, or trade something for it?

Pat

15. Hey I built one of those! 331 tho with a 4 speed. Still pretty darn fun.

Attached Files:

16. 55chevr

55chevr

The orange/green coupe pictured in the first post would have to be the most evil handling car ever driven. If you plan on driving it I suggest you consider reasonable handling characteristics.

17. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Cool project, but I think you'll find the Hilborn pump set-up won't be any good for the street, too much fuel all at once and not enough adjustment for idle and low rpm driving.

Scotty

18. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

Scotty,
    I have already coverted it to electronic injectors. The fuel pump would not be for fuel delivery, the fuel pump will be inside the tank. Thats why I don't want a good pump, but a junk one.

Pat

19. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

I had everything to put a 4sp in. But my knees are giving me hell, so I sold just the tranny, and most likely going with a auto, but I still rather have a stick yet. I never know what I might do.

Pat

20. TomWar

TomWar

I started out with an electric water pump, and it ran very cool. when the electric pump gave up, I put on the belt driven BBC pump,and the engine ran better, because it got up to operating temp. It has a 160 degree thermostat, and it will open up and then drop down to about 150 and run great! Also there is not that huge electrical drain from the pump. Also I put a TH 350 behind it and am very satisfied with it.

21. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------
    First I don't know of ANY marine
    engines that run electric water
    pumps. Some marine engines do
    run small (mostly Jabsco brand)
    centrifugal waterpumps, that are
    remotely mounted, away from
    actual engine block, but they are
    always belt-driven . The Jabsco
    marine pumps are way too small
    and don't have enough flow
    capacity to cool a car engine
    on the street. (Back in the '60's
    some NHRA legal gas-class race cars
    used Jabsco marine pumps - along
    with tiny, ersatz "radiators" too - but
    that was merely a weight-saving
    ruse, intended only to meet the
    letter of the rule book, requiring an
    'operating cooling system' rather
    than to effect any actual, useful
    cooling) They can get away with
    the small pump size in a marine
    application simply because the
    boat is always sitting in it's
    own unlimited reservoir of cold
    cooling water - and because the
    water usually is at anywhere from
    about 40 to maybe 70 degrees F
    maximum, as opposed to the 180 to
    200-degreed-plus in a normal car
    radiator, a whole lot less water
    flow is needed to have the same
    cooling effect. The Jabsco pumps
    too, since they are only designed
    to handle raw, cold lake or river
    water, rather than 180 to
    200-degrees-plus engine or radiator
    water, have impellers made out
    of rubber or neoprene, which will
    deteriorate and fail in short order
    if used to pump the hot engine
    coolant in a car. If you are absolutely
    determined not to cut or move the
    firewall, something has to give to
    fit a Chrysler hemi into the slot
    designed and intended for a tiny
    4-banger T engine. One way you
    could do it and retain a stock
    appearing firewall would be to
    lengthen the frame by 2 or 3 (or
    however many as are required)
    inches. If you added the length
    into the frame, under the body,
    at or just behind where the
    firewall sits it could retain the
    stock appearance. But since
    the radiator and everything
    forward of the firewall would
    now be 2 or 3 inches further
    forward, you'd be able to fit
    the hemi in there, particularly if
    you used one of the Chevy
    waterpump conversion with the
    early-style short Chevy pump.
    You'd have to lengthen the
    hood, running boards and splash
    aprons by the same amount as
    you added to the frame, but I
    think if done neatly, the 2 or 3
    inches would hardly be noticeable
    to most people, and especially
    too, when everyone’s eyes are
    going to be drawn to the engine.

Mart3406
    =============

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  22. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

I know of a guy that runs a Jabsco electric marine water pump, on his 392 Hemi with gas Hilborn injection, with mechanical injectors & pump, in his '23 T roadster, and gets 17 mpg. He said he's never had a problem running the water pump. Thats where I got the idea from. I bought his injector holders he makes, to convert Hilborn to eletronic injectors, for my Hilborn, and he sent pictures of his car in a magazine.

I still might run a big block chevy, or the stock hemi pump. I have till I mount the engine to decide.

I got an e-mail back from the guy with the flamed RPU and he say's his has stock fenders & running boards, and frame length. He didn't change it to fit the hemi in, and he has a 4 core rad. He sent me more pictures of it, and you can tell nothing has been changed to fit it.

I also got an e-mail back on the other red coupe. I have to e-mail him back to get pictures & what I want to know about his car. His looks like it hasn't been lengthen either. It does look like the cowl has been move an inch or two, but he also has a blower belt to deal with.

Pat

23. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

What are you guy's using for peddles in your cars. What are you doing for a steering sector in the full fendered cars, and do you like it.

Pat

24. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

Hmm, no help.
    Well I quess I'll just find a Mustang box, and some peddles out of an 50's truck.

Pat