Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide Floor Shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BZNSRAT, Nov 11, 2007.

1. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

I have a cast-iron powerglide (53-54) and want to know if anybody makes a floor mount shifter for it???

Thanks

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Check with the good guys at J.C.Whitney in Chicago.

3. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Have you looked for a Mr Gasket 7668. It's a universal transmission mounted shifter .-Tad

4. showrod

showrod

I have a winters floor mount with a cable on my glide. I dont know if they still make them though.

5. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

6. David Totten

David Totten

You could always use a Mustang floor shifter. Can be made to shift almost anything

7. Murff

Murff

I'm new around these parts but try not to hold that against me.:)

I have a used TCI Lightning Stick out of a super comp dragster, like this one only red anodize. Won't be using and don't need. Pop a reply if interested. Cheep!

Murff

[​IMG]

8. showrod

showrod

9. jasonbeam

jasonbeam

Bumping this thread, because I'm looking for the same thing, much like the Mr Gasket 7668, but made for a Powerglide. I have a bench seat in my Impala, and I need the longer shifter arm to come up over it.

I have used the Mr Gasket 7668 before in a similar bench seat application, but with a TH350. It works pretty slick.

I've looked into the Lokar stuff, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of positive reviews on that brand that I can find. Anyone have any other (more recent) suggestions?

10. I am using a Mustang Floor Shifter on my aluminum Glide
    it came with the whole metal plate to mount to the Floor
    mine is a Rod Shifter Not a Cable
    and I have a Bench seat in my 50 Merc the Car
    in my Avatar

just my 3.5 cents

11. A factory set up with a factory console looks okay but aftermarket shifters sticking up from the floor on a '60's car always look cheesy to me.

12. Pep-Boys has a Shifter for a Glide it a kit less the Boot
    for 39.95
    Check it out, a Freind of mine is using one in his 32 Roadster
    I think the Stick is about a Foot High

Just my 3.5 cents

13. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

14. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Indeed....I've been looking for a solution for my Powerglide shifter woes, as you well know, Norton. I'd love to get a Gennie, got a bead on one atm....but I'm not hip on paying $250 right now. Figured I'd open this one up and see how hard it would be to modify it for detents, reverse lockout, etc. Probably a fruitless endeavour.....but hell, I'll return it if I look at it and can't figure anything out.

BTW, not to hijack....but do the old Impala PG shifters (348/409) have detents, R lockout, etc??

15. Bump for this one- I was doing a search for a cheap powerglide shifter and found this thread.
    Anybody have more info on the spectre ( "pepboys" ) unit?
    If not, any other suggestions? There's a guy in town with a nice new lokar but the model number is for a turbo350. Not sure if it'd be easy to make work or not?
    Two questions, thanks twice boys --- Greg

16. jasonbeam

jasonbeam

Bumping as I found my solution - it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped, but I do like how clean it came out - That Spectre looks like the Unimatic.

I had a mechanic shop that does custom work put in a B&M Unimatic with the Powerglide adapter and it works great (into my '67 Impala) - but it wasn't without challenges. They had to do a lot of tweaking on it to get it to work properly (about 6 hours of shop time). I wish I had more of the lowdown on the install, but I knew it was going to be something I couldn't tackle, and I wanted a clean install - so I sent it to some experts.

[​IMG]

The shifter ball (threaded steel ball) didn't sit high enough on the Unimatic (not long like the Lokar), so this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261473522574 made an extension for me and I like it much better - I don't have to hunch over to shift. This is a more muscle-y car feel to it, but it still looks clean with the low profile boot.

No reverse lockout, though - so you need to be careful. My wife took it for a cruise, shifted too far and into reverse. :eek: