Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Old Lady

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stude-1923, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Here are some picts of my studebaker 1923 special six conv when i picked her up. I am the second registered owner of this factory runner. She now has rubber and I am working on her as time and money permits. She has all her parts and the wrinkles you would expect in a 90 year old. She will just fit inside a 16' Penske box truck. Wheels are 32X4 with 33 X 41/2 tires. Original wood paint, except the hood, engine trans etc... Her nose was painted white in 34 when she went to Haaavard so she is an edgumacated ol girl. She has a 34 Chevy Distributor with the mechanical advance as opposed to the factory manual spark advance on the steering column. 6volt system both hand crank and battery operated. A buddy of mine is going to lend me a set of picks for the trans lock and ignition. If the odometer is right she has about 34K miles on her. Leather interior wool carpet, ragtop is ok. Will need to hit the how to section to bend a new oak bow for the top frame. All in all a neat old broad. When the guy came out to do the serial number inspection he about had kittens...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, going to restore or modify?

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

4. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Very nice....

5. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Should be fun!

6. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Sweet. You ought to find a coonskin coat and Harvard pennant.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! There were some famous Train Robbers the Newton Brothers that used Studebakers as get away cars, very fast cars in their day. What series is yours? i think there were three different size engines offered. Please keep us updated on the project. Bob ...Here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_Gang

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In those days the big Studebaker was so popular with bootleggers it was known as the Whiskey Six. Big and powerful, they could carry a load far and fast yet they were not flashy or conspicuous.

9. aircap

aircap

Whiskey Six... great name for a band.

10. Wiskey Six.....good name there...good luck with yer Studie.....

11. flamed34

flamed34

Nice...you'll appreciate my '22 in my album. Phenomenal body/top...just no chassis. It sat in a barn since before 1960 and only shows slightly over 19,XXX miles on it. I'm still trying to decide whether to restore or make a unique hot rod.

This link may work: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=13828

12. Cool car, curious to see what you are going to do with it.

13. Ditto ... ;)

Jim

14. For now get her fix what is broken and take her for a drive. A bath would help and try to determine what she needs. See if I can get parts or make them. There is a 24 ford running around town here that looks stock save for the sound of the 302. I have a box of stuff to go through to see what I am lacking. The man I got her from, his father, worked on the manhattan project. Nick, the son, new Hans Bethe, Enrico Fermie and Oppenheimer and played with his kids. I am leaning toward doing very little to her now just because of the history involved.

Down the road I am not sure. My end up having to sell her due to the econ.

15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like the Studebaker real good. From the looks of things you have a real sound car there in many ways. I bet it wouldn't take much to make it run.

Used to work in LA weekly until about the time LANS took over. Too bad I'm not still there to see your buggy. Like the history with it too. My old man worked there during WWII and I still don't know what he did....It's a secret.

Let me know if you need a hand getting it going and a road trip might be in order.

LJ

16. going to try to get her ready for the may car show at the museum in alb. even if she doe not run yet, i'll haul her down and pull her out of the trailer just so people can see the past. looking for a source of 4 quarter yellow pine or white oak. going to try to hit some of the wood places in alb this weekend. i have a crushed running board.