Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whens the best time to visit Austin, Tx

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Apr 12, 2013.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Me & Sue will be coming over to Austin later this year, whens the best time to come and why ???
    Hope to meet a few of the texas boys along the route

2. scrubba

scrubba

Steve , I used to live in Houston. I'd go anytime before July and October . Any other time , shoot Austin is a wonderful place to go an visit ! scrubba

3. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Feb.-April, Late Oct-mid December are best weatherwise. For events, check www.austinchronicle.com or www.auschron.com There is almost always something worth doing going on. The Round-Up is in early April---of course you know that. In the fall there's the Day of the Drags for pre-'64 drag racing not too far away at the Little River Dragway.

I move to Austin in 89 based solely on its reputation. Haven't ever been disappointed.

buen viaje,

Joe

4. I think it's full..............

5. Fenders

Fenders

Never put off to tomorrow what you can do today.

6. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

November for sure. plus you might catch the revolution if you come during that time

7. Voh

Voh

Last weekend or 51 weeks from today!

Maybe in November for the Revolution.

8. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I was going to say spring time or early fall. come next year for the Roundup. so right around now, or like october-november. it's pretty much hot the rest of the time.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having lived in Central Texas (McGregor) for 8 years I'd have to say spring time or early fall also. It gets HOT in the summer time and quite often the temp is over 100F in the day time and it doesn't cool down much at night. Not terrible if your plans include laying in the sun broiling to a nice lobster red or hanging out in the air conditioned bars but not great for getting out and doing things.
    This year I'd shoot for the Hot Rod Revolution in November if you are planning on attending an event in the Austin area.

Car event wise, maybe someone from Texas can put up a link to car events and make notes for the ones that traditional hot rod guys might be more interested in.
    Tourist thing wise there is more to do than a short vacation trip allows. A lot of that depends on your personal interests. A trip through the hill country and a side trip to San Antonio would be things that history buffs would include.

Lots of great food from barbecue to real Mexican food (Not Taco what ever) to a chicken fried steak at Georges in Waco. If you don't gain weight on a trip to Texas you just weren't trying hard enough.

10. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Lots of non HAMB type cars and events on this website but there seems to always be something going on at least.

http://www.motoraustin.com/

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Guys, Sue & myself are both big live music fans and Sue loves the heat, 100F is like a spring day to her, Me i like it around 80F. We will be there for 3 weeks
    I would like to pop into to see Bass and anyone else that will talk hotrods.

Also Sue wants to take in a Rodeo

Many thanks for the above advice

12. 75gmck25

75gmck25

I don't know the rodeo schedule for Austin, but the San Antonio rodeo (about 70 miles from Austin) goes for about 2 weeks in February. San Antonio also has Fiesta in April, which is a very popular event. However, I guess that schedule doesn't help you much for a trip you want to take this year.

Austin and the hill country (Lukenbach, Bandera, Blanco, Fredericksburg, Gruene, etc.) are usually better choices for local music events, but San Antonio is the most popular tourist destination in Texas. Its easy to plan a trip that combines visits to both locations.

Bruce

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

We should get to Austin around the 25th Sept, We found a rodeo in Stephensville on the 29th so Sue is now happy.

Any good hotrodshops around Austin, Where would you suggest ???

14. She will enjoy the rodeo. Of course try Austin Speed Shop/A.S.S.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't worry about the heat. This is Texas where heat was invented and still thrives for 5 months of the year. The benefits of just being in Texas at anytime make up for any little old problem from the heat. Wait'll you see the rain, but that's been little to none for a long time now.

16. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Come by the Austin Speed Shop ask for me, Kail. I will show you around, and maybe make some restaurant recommendations.

17. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Try the rodeo in stephenville, stephensville might be hard to find... Smiley face icon, I don't think the app lets you do it, and I don't want to come off as an ass.... Enjoy your stay...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. I haven't been through Austin for more than 30 years, but since one of my *other* hobbies is food & cooking, Austin has a great reputation for food trucks and street food in general. Lots of great things to eat down there.

19. Tommy R

Tommy R

Don't forget Mercury Charlie's shop on the north side of town (also a couple blocks from my house). It's on McNeil Drive near Hwy. 183.

20. swimeasy

swimeasy

X2- Charlie is super frendly! Those rodios in Stevenville are real good because there is a cowboy college there,Tarelton State- part of Texas A&M. Those guys are real live shit kickers!:D

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Kail I will definitely call in, thanks for the kind invite

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks we already have Brian on the list.

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Tommy, I didn't know that, will definitely call by.

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude, Sue is real fired up for the rodeo, she is a bit of a daredevil

25. I can't believe more people didn't mention the Roundup. It's the only show I hate to miss. If I was travelling all the way from England to Austin, and could choose the date, that would be it. I only live a few hours away from Austin and I never go there except for Roundup.

26. Tommy R

Tommy R

If you do go, post up what day you plan to go and maybe I can meet y'all there. I work from home now and am literally around the corner. Might be nice to put another HAMB face to a HAMB handle. :)

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That has the sounds of being a fun trip. Where you fly in to and out of might have quite a bit of influence on your schedule.

If you are flying into Austin it makes sense to hit Dallas and Bass's shop and other spots in that area on the trip to Stephenville for the rodeo. Maybe up one way and back down the other to have some Texas back roads in along with some serious freeway burning up or down I 35.

Miles don't mean as much to Texas folks as they do to guys from a lot of other states in that they don't bat an eye at jumping in the hot rod and heading out 100 miles to a roadside market to get hot links and a cold beer just because they like the places hot links. You might have to factor that in when you ponder some of their suggestions. A lot of what they suggested is along the I 35 corridor between Dallas and San Antonio though and could be done stop by stop in one road trip.

28. That is one thing to consider, places are spaced far apart in this state. Hell, you can drive three hours crossing Houston city limits.

29. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

If you have time stop by my shop. I'm 40 minutes from Brian's shop!

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Will do tommy