Register now to get rid of these ads!

390 FE Distributor Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Green Rodz, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I've got a basically stock 390, edelbrock carb, aftermarket air cleaner and valve covers, that's about it.
    A couple months ago, we (me and a couple old guy hot rod neighbors) tried to install a Petronix in it and it was bad out of the box (in theory). So, I went back to the original points, which have now failed.

Thus, this morning, we installed a new set of original points and condenser and it appears that the base where they mount into is a little loose and sorta floppy.

I heard that there is a distributor made and the company is some guys name (first and last) that I can't remember, and it's small and looks more like a magneto (but it's not). It will easily fit, unlike some of the more well-known aftermarket distributors that are much larger in circumference than a stock one.

Anybody heard of this?

2. sounds like you need a new breaker plate

id just go to the local parts store and get a reman distributor thats what i did for my f/e and what im going to do for my "newest f/e"

i have apertronix unit in my f/e works great and i have a couple others in other motors no problems if the coil has too many amps it will cook the pertronix

3. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Your thinking of a joe hunt distributor.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

yes!

5. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

How many amps is too many amps?
    I do have an aftermarket coil

6. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Holy CRAP are they EXPENSIVE!

I need another option.

WOW! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

7. blackcreek

blackcreek

Bite the bullet get an msd igntion , install it and drive for miles and miles trouble free.

8. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

So, how much is too much - Amps? We're just about to fire a new 390 with a Pertronix so this is important

9. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

4-5 amps with the points closed, 1.8 - 2 at idle. Check on the positive side of the coil not the negative when running.

Hoop

10. wfopossum

wfopossum

Duraspark,order one for a 76 ford truck with a 360 and use the ford duraspark or gm module,and you really should recurve the distributor for your application,I did it on my squarebird a while back and I'm doing it on the bulletbird soon. It's hard to beat the factory engineered ignition system.

11. 1949SilverStreak

1949SilverStreak
    from Canada

Edelbrock also makes a kit that replaces the points set up with an internal pick up and module in your stock housing. I don't have the name for this kit however.

Unfortunately this still leaves you with a fixed dwell, but I don't think you'll be spinning that bad boy high enough for that to become a problem.

12. pdq67

pdq67

A kid I worked with bought 390" ford Duelie and started home pulling a dual tandam long oil pipe type h/d trailer and it crapped out.. He just went to the local parts place and bought a dizzie and came home fine..

pdq67

13. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Thanks!

14. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

If you use the HEI/Duraspark conversion you will need a low resistance coil for the HEI's variable dwell and current limiting features to work. These coils are normally rated at .5 ohms but when the current reaches 5.5 amps the module holds the current there. Durasparks without the HEI module will use a conventional coil and ballast resistance to control current.

Hoop

15. i believe too many amps is anything above 3 i bought a pertronix coil for like 31.00 from jeggs ive also ran a blaster 2 coil with apertronix and didnt have any problems

a stock coil WILL fry the pertronix unit

theres a long time member here who either works for or sells the pertronix cant remember his user name but he has an anglia as his avatar im sure he'll respond

16. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

A typical V8 coil with points has about a 1.5 OHM resistance which combined with a ballast resistor will flow 4 amps when switched on (or points closed). If left continuously on it will damage coils, points, and Pertronix "Ignitor" units.

At idle a V8 will have ab average draw of less than 2 amps and this will drop off at higher RPM.

A stock 1.5 Ohm coil with a ballast resistor will not damage a Pertronix, but leaving the key on will.

Ignitor II and III have current limiting and use low resistance coils.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/chart.aspx

http://www.pertronix.com/support/manuals/default.aspx

Hoop

17. John in Oz

John in Oz

I had an electronic one in my FE and never again had a problem with it. You can buy an insert that you can fit if you wanted to but For sure buy a new electronic Dizzy and you will never have to worry about the points etc ever again, just fit and drive forever. I am sure you guys have more of a selection than we do, I will be putting one in my FE for the Street Rod as well, you don't need anything too fancy, I like the idea of a stock looking set up rather than the big racey units just a personal thing there, keep it stock looking.

I would like to see what your final outcome is.

Cheers, John

18. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I'd go with the Duraspark, you can even convert your points distributor to one with just a few parts from the parts store or robbed out of any other V8 Duraspark.

19. OK, a lot of goofy info here and some good stuff. For starters Edelbrock does not offer any points replacement products.

With the standard Ignitor in a 12v V8 application, you want to use a coil that has at least 1.5 Ω resistance. A higher ohm rating won't hurt anything (like most stock coils) but you won't be getting as much spark energy as you will with a 1.5 Ω coil.

Leaving the key on with an original Ignitor, if the distributor happens to be in the right spot can fry the module as it is getting energy and no where for it to go. This can also fry points and I had a coil blow up on a Chrysler electronic system when my shop foreman left the key on while we were eating lunch - made a big freaking mess.
    You can also fry one if you hook it up backwards.
    The newer Ignitor II and III have a microprocessor in them and if you leave the ignition on, they will shut themselves off if there is no rotation of the distributor. They also have circuit protection if you hook them up backwards.

We also make the Ignitor II in a plug and play distributor - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d133800/overview/make/ford for a little over $200.00. This version also has adaptive dwell that varies the dwell depending on RPM and current flow of coil negative based on the required energy needed to fire the spark plug.

20. see i knew hotroddon would respond LOL

21. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

I just installed a re-man dist from Napa on a FE , less than $60.00... cant beat that ! its even the right one "autolite" with a period correct vacume advance unit. very pleased .
    The Pertronic conversion works great easy install ,no muss and no fuss havent had to adjust the timing in 3 yrs on my truck and am in the process of converting 3 more of our toys , the unit has proven itself to me.

22. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

I think he would want the PNX-D133700 or similar with the Vacuum advance :)

23. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Or you could ship me your old unit and we can rebuild ( $48 labor plus parts) curve and return to you. Pretty hard to beat the factory system .
    We can install and set up a pertronixs unit as well if thats what you want....

24. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Wow, thanks guys.

I'll post back in a few hours after lunch

25. shocker998md

shocker998md

SEND it to BUBBA! Id rather have him go through it then get a chi com go through from the chain store.

I run points in one FE and a petronix in another. Either will work, but with the petronix you need to make sure you have the right coil for which ever igniter system you bought.

26. Pertronix makes a very nice complete drop in distibutor. Very reasonable in price too. If you decide to stick with an original Ford distibutor with a Pentronix conversion make sure you do not leave the ignition key in the "on" position for an extended amount of time. That is the most frequent reason the Pertronix unit fails. The Pertronix units work fine with the majority of coils including the original Ford "yellow top" coil.

27. Oops, You got me. It was late last night and my head was actually thinking about a 40 Ford project, so THANKS for catching that :D Don

28. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I put pertronix in my 61 Cadillac and 63 thunderbird.. got the pertronix coil too though, so I had no issues. Both fire up and run just fine.

29. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

NAPA number Part: NRD 482807
    reman hear in the good ol USA. So if you buy it from me,only half of a chi-com will be selling it to you but some good ol is the one who put the tools to it! :)
    Pertronix II is a GREAT product also, GMC Bubba, be a great way just for the hamb helpn hamb.

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm an idiot but I hate the look off a modern electronic dist.

[​IMG]

I sold this one and converted an old Mallory 2 piece cap dist. to Chrysler electronic.

[​IMG]

Same engine only looking like 1963 and not 2012.