Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rock auto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by salf100, Apr 11, 2013.

1. salf100

salf100

Anyone buy a rebuilt steering box from them? Got a gift card for my birthday and thought about using it for that.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. evintho

evintho

Never bought a box but have purchased a lot of stuff from them and never had a problem. Had to return a couple of parts too and it always went smooth. Basically, they sell the same stuff that Autozone sells at half the price.

In the 'how did you hear about us' box on the order page, type in 1419240510188119 and you'll get a 5% discount.

3. What he said....excellent service & prices.

4. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

another positive experience with rock auto. Just bought some injectors for the daily driver and they arrived in 2 days

5. One_sic_C

One_sic_C

Never had a problem with them. Always happy.

6. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Damn near totally rebuilt my late-ish model DD truck with parts from Rock Auto.. If you can afford to wait a few days they're the way to go..

Kinda OT, but I work at a dealership, and when our parts dept. manager need stuff for his car he gets it from them..

Edit: I haven't tried their Wholesaler Closeout/Private Lable Pkg. stuff, but have read a few posts elsewhere about that stuff being pretty low quality and/or old and rusty stock someone else couldn't sell

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  7. I have used them a lot always good results.

8. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

If you don't mind the wait the saving are great

9. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

What I like is the number of choices on brand and price of parts. Might not be the case with your part. Good service.

10. One thing you have to watch with them is the shipping. Ordering multiple items will sometimes come from different locations and they nail you for separate shipping on each.
    Kind of eats into the savings....

11. What wait? I just THINK about ordering a part from them and it shows up on my doorstep 3 days later....

I think the longest I waited for an order was 5 days. I had ordered like 4 items, 1 had to come from a different location, but they all showed up the same day.

Bob

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

They don't rebuild them, they just sell them. Cardone is common for having done the rebuild. I would not go with a name I never heard of before if you have a choice.

13. draider

draider
    from Texas

Another Rockauto fanboy here.

I've bought some of the closeout stuff from them before and its been nice shiney new parts in a beatup and maybe renumbered box. Stuff thats been on a shelf for a while. Its definitely worth the pennies on the dollar pricing.

14. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

Great source for parts ! I work for NAPA but shop RockAuto regular , and have never been told "that part dont fit your car" .

The multi shipping locations can add up but when I see the parts I allways think it was worth it .

Attached Files:

15. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

True, but they do make you aware of that in your shopping cart.
    The truck icons next to the item that has either an A, B, or C in them.
    When I see items are shipping from all over the place, I can go back and in some cases pick alternate parts so everything ships from one location.
    Sometimes the multiple ships can't be avoided though. I'm not buying a no-name part for the sake of saving on shipping.

I just got a set of ceramic brake pads for the daily driver from them today.
    The local Autozone and Advance stores wanted $65.00 for them.
    I got the exact same pads for $32.00 which included the shipping!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  16. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have really good prices, but the shipping cost to europe are not the best.

17. I bought a master cylinder from them that was for a 4 wheel disc car. NAPA wanted $82. I got a closeout from them for $15. It came in a NAPA box that said made in USA.

That blew my mind..

18. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Good to know. I'll give 'em a try.

19. I've bought quite a bit from Rock Auto and the prices & service is far better than any local store around here. Quality parts no different than what the locals sell. I just ordered a pair of handbrake cables for my DD for under $30 with the shipping. Ordered 9am on a Wednesday and they came the following day with regular shipping!! I went to put them in and found the brake shoes were almost down to metal. Called the local store and they wanted $40. I looked up Rock Auto and the same brand and part number was $10.80 with 9.99 shipping.

20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I frequently buy from them. Like stated above shipping to Europe is not too cheap, but quick ( 2-3 days), the Service and quality are great. I bought a rebuilt steering box for a 67 f100, the quality was very good and the price was reasonable. Never had a problem and i think they are really doing well

21. fsae0607

fsae0607

Good prices, good service and good website. Shipping can be $$$ sometimes. That's when I go to NAPA and make the poor guy chase parts for my truck!

22. fuzzface

fuzzface

Add another one that likes Rock auto. I used to buy a lot from inner auto but they were brought out by carparts and they are not as good so I mainly buy from rockauto now.

I can't believe how much you can save even with paying shipping.

23. salf100

salf100

All great info. I to have bought lots of stuff from them, there's just nothing I need for my truck except for the steering box. I saw that they sell rebuilt units. I have this gift card and only a few months left to use it. My experience with them had always been positive. I just have a great mother in law that gives me a gift card for them every year!!

24. salf100

salf100

Stuff that they sell that is :)

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've bought parts from RockAuto numerous times... If I can wait a few days for the parts to arrive, they are almost always cheaper (with shipping) than a local chain parts store. If I need something TODAY, I'll shop around the local parts stores. Advance Auto Parts almost always has a 20% off deal if you place the order online, which can be shipped or picked up in your local store if it's in stock.

Rock Auto is also a great resource for part numbers when shopping around to compare prices.

Malcolm

26. Truckedup

Truckedup

I also buy from Rock Auto....Next thread will be " I miss local owned parts stores"

27. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Bought a bunch from them. Some items can sell for more than 50% less than the box stores, some items same price. Shipping is spot on and they use FedEx & UPS.

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've been wanting to try them out and will probably do that when I need brake pads for my daily driver. Their prices are surprisingly low.

The starter just went out on my 27 and they were $ 27 vs $50 at my local Advance Auto. However, they had a $15 core charge and it seemed like a hassle to ship the core back (plus the cost of doing it) so I just went to Advance and used their $10 off coupon. Ended up costing me $ 40 and I had it in my hands the same day.

But on something where I don't have to ship back a heavy core part I will give them a shot. Everything I have always heard about them was good.

Don

29. Ob1

Ob1

I used Rock Auto to do the brakes on my '63 Grumman Kurbmaster; cylinders, shoes, drums and studs, all the way around.

Not the stuff you find at your local store! Very happy with them!

30. indyjps

indyjps

I've bought a lot of parts from them for old and newer cars, lots of brakes over the years, one comment on the closeouts, any time I've gotten them they were quality parts, I bought rear brake pads on closeout and fronts regular price from the same manufacturer, the bxes were identical printing with different color ink. Midwest shipping is very fast. Now if I can get the NAPA guys to stop acting like arrogant dicks everytime I go in, i'd shop there more.