Register now to get rid of these ads!

major accident today, angels watching over

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4rod, Apr 11, 2013.

1. holy shit! your lucky bro

2. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Glad to hear you are OK. There is nothing that scares me more that getting pinned under a car. I always use more jackstands than necessary and give the car a good shake before going under.

3. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Yes the "garage angels" were there looking out for you. Glad you're good! I too work alone, my wife is disabled and the shop is 70 feet from the house so if I get in the shits...I'm in them good! Always look twice and think ahead, stuff goes really bad in just a second and there is no time to"fix" it!

4. warrior1

warrior1

Dude, I work at a heavy rescue station with the fire dept here in FT Worth and have rescued a few people trapped under cars. Some lived, some didnt. Thank god you made it. Glad it ended with just some bruises.

Hotrodmyk - Amen to the multiple jackstands and car shaking. I use 3 or more when I get under my stuff and shake the piss out of it before rolling under.

Take care brother.

5. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

God loves dumb ass gear heads :D..........I am prove of that.Glad you are ok.

6. 4rod

4rod

yeah, total thanks here fella's, workin alone has its perks, but when something goes south...man...I was lookin around for neighbors anything to make noise...no I can say thank God for cell phones...

7. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Hope you recover..get well...be careful nxt time..Good luck!:)

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I use jackstands whenever I'm under my car, but I also have several 12" x 12" x 24" wooden oak blocks that I use as an added precaution. Somehow, I feel more secure with those wooden blocks than I do with a Chinese jackstand. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid!:eek::eek:

9. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

I've been a cop for twenty years, with age comes wisdom!!! I would've tried to buy the car while I was freeing you from its clutches.....Glad it turned out o.k. and you weren't seriously hurt.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Praise God! Thanks you Jesus for saving him.

11. riley58

riley58

glad your ok man. i always think about that stuff when i'm underneath my truck!

12. jhaas63

jhaas63

No they wouldnt have.

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Did riley58 say something? Kinda distracted.

14. desotot

desotot

on the third page and we still don't know what kind of car it is,,,,er, I meant to say glad your'e alright, thank the Lord.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see that you got by with just a badly bruised arm. I'm still wondering how you had it set so that it dropped when the spring pack gave way. There shouldn't have been any weight on the spring pack at that time to cause it to give way.

16. Good to hear you are OK & nothing more serious.
    I never trust jack stands by themselves. I always have some blocks under there also. I to work alone & don't have a cell phone. What's a cell phone by-the-way? Do you just get one call?
    Recently tripped over a creeper & dislocated my shoulder when the floor hit me. Home alone too. Don't want to do that one again.

17. RatPin

RatPin

Yikes! I need to wire up some emergency signal for when I'm in my shop workin. Nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and My phone is usually across the shop hooked to my stereo. If I was ever pinned I would have to find away out somehow, chew off a limb or something cause nobody would know:eek:

18. Glad you only have a bruised arm. I bet that turns some nasty black and blue over next couple days. Having your cell phone was good. It is always a concern for me when working by myself in garage with nobody else around.

19. Not that I saw..just a blank post with an avatar. Did you ever notice these guys with the great avatars like his just have cars in their albums...I know 'cause I always check. They must have been used car salesmen in a prior life.
    I'm also glad your injuries were not worse. I just finished stripping down an ot car for the salvage yard..man,I hated crawling under that thing.

20. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I hope some do-gooder doesn't read this, they will want to pass a law that says you can't get under your car. Glad it wasn't too serious, be careful.

21. Wow! Glad to hear nothing major happened! That's scary

22. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

This is one of those times when something really bad happens and you can still say you were very lucky.

I always get nervous working under a car on jack stands.
    When I was a kid I use to work under cars that were on cinder blocks, chunks of firewood or on a cheap jack. Not sure how I didn't ever get killed or hurt bad.
    I try to have the jack there to help if there is a jack stand problem but that doesn't always work.
    Pulling a rear end is a fine example of when it doesn't work. I don't have that many floor jacks. When I put a couple of them under the rear end to lift/lower it and roll it that's all my floor jacks.

Glad it all worked out.
    I try and keep my cell phone close by when I'm doing that kind of stuff but since you don't know how the accident will happen you can't be sure you will be able to get to the pocket with it if something falls.

23. It only took you 2 hours at the hospital??????
    The last time I took a friend that cut his hand we spend 6 hours there,
    and it was 2 AM.
    Good deal it was not broken...

24. pimpin devil

pimpin devil
    from joplin mo

Glad your ok man thank the lord

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

25. phat rat

phat rat

maybe I'm not reading something the rest of you are. He doesn't say jackstands gave way he says the spring pack dropped. Well if the bottom plate is taken off, shocks disconnected and if the jackstands are under the rear it's a given the car will drop

26. Muttley

Muttley

Be careful, we've lost enough friends around here as it is! :( :(

27. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

glad you're okay!

28. Working under a car is like poker. You need "jacks or better to open". Thank the the Lord it could have been worse. Glad you are ok man.

29. Car

Car
    from the desert

good to hear you're ok.

30. Thank God you are OK. Could have been much worse for sure. We recently lost a fellow hot rodder here when he was under his '55 Chev rear working on something when he accidently (we really don't know) cut the air line for the bags. Wife found him two hours later crushed under the car. A veteran builder and he never put stands under the car. We will never understand what he was thinking.