Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ?model a vin/engine# help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nos1partstore, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

My engine number on my block is AA3767416. Can anyone help me figure out what this means? Thank you for your help

2. carmuts

carmuts

AA means it was a truck engine. Thye other numbers will tell what month the engine was made. I do not have my book handy to look it up right now. Rod

3. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Well, something is wrong, because I have a 28 sport coupe body, AA3767416 engine number, and I cant find the frame stampings. I think it is an after market frame

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is simply the 3.767,416th Model A engine built, and the sequence can easily be translated into finish date of the engine.
    Some AA"s for a while had heavier clutch springs than A and so got the AA prefix to channel them into the right vehicles at assembly time. Other AA's 9I think after the 4-speed trans was introduced?) had no difference and so car and trucks both had the A prefix on engine pad.

5. Not necessarily "wrong", just not "stock"! If it is a stock frame, the number will be under the body on the left framerail near the cowl.

And the exact same engine # is on the fordgarage.com page above....kinda spooky! Wonder if someone restamped the pad?

6. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Ok, I guess that is a possibility. I did find that number on the frame. It was caked under some grease and mud. It says A2821. Any Ideas?

7. carmuts

carmuts

That is pretty early in 1928. Likely January. Since production began in Oct. 1927 that is a nice low number that if the chassis even minus the engine was offered for sale might bring some decent money depending on condition. That should have the multiple disc clutch, collar around the reverse idler shaft, left hand e-brake handle and smooth backing plates. Many things get changed over time (like your engine), so all bets are off until you know what is left on it that is correct per the time frame and what is not. Rod

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

That IS an early 28 ! Where is the emergency brake handle located ? There were 3 different locations for them, on the 28's. There were also two styles of emer. brake handle, a "pistol grip: style, and later, the familiar "button-top" release. Ditto, re; the engine having been in a truck.

Carnuts, the early "A" you refer to also came with a fan shroud. I've been told by some "old guys" that those clutches were replaced during production with the single disc style, because it didn't requires as much pedal effort.

4TTRUK

9. carmuts

carmuts

I just mentioned afew things as I do not have time to copy the who;e section in the JS. Those are the first ones that came to mind, but is actually a long list that changed gradually over 7-8 months. A fan shroud was used until early 29 and there was a couple of changes to it during production.. Most people don't realize how many changes were made and how often during production things were changed. Seems there was a change or two (likely more) every month or so. When I had my rdstr pu which was made in May of 28, there were 37 things different than in April of 28. And going into June another 24, so finding the right parts was sometimes tricky. Rod

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

A2821 would be a very early '28 indeed. December 1927 build.

11. deucegarage

deucegarage

Now that is strange! I thought I still had that engine, though it may have been sold at Chickasha 10 years ago.

And now it is in San Antonio in a 28 Sport Coupe???

I wonder if the scrappers made a raid on my storage shed I don't know about?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  12. The website says Canadian mmodel A's didn't get numbers stamped on the frames.
    Also, there's a free VIN check on that website. [carfax] I tried it with my model A VIN and it spit it back to me...says to use a valid number. I assume that means one with 17 digits. Why would a model A site even have that?
    BTW, my canadian 80 malibu wagon only has 13 digits to the VIN..drives my insurance lady crazy. Hope the local DMV is aware when I go to get a title in my state.

13. carmuts

carmuts