Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there such a thing as a cool "bobber" pickup or would I be wasting my time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

This would be my signature... but when i tried to change it... Im only alowed 100 charactures.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

please excuse george...he's had too many puppy uppers today...time for a doggie downer george...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Speaking of puppies, have you ever wondered what a dogs ass really smells like? I mean, jeez, they seem so enthusiastic when they are down there huffing it in. Sorta like the crowds you see around rat rods at a cruise night. Is it really that good?? Then again, my German Shepard used to like nothing better than rolling in a spawned out salmon carcass, so maybe thats not a good idea...

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I promise Miss McGillicutty I will not post on provocative threads.

5. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

This thing is cool. Im building one to resemble my avatar. I dont care what anybody on the hamb has to say about it. But if i need info on a part that i know nothing about the hamb is my first and only stop.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny, you know, I used to have to stay late after class and write stuff like this on the blackboard all the time...Whoda thunk???:rolleyes::p

7. Buzznut

Buzznut

Honestly didn't expect this from anyone here...I think the "go somewhere else" mentality is frankly B.S. I have a '56 Chevy pickup that is 95% traditional and a '35 Dodge pickup that is 100% traditional. In fact, TRADITIONAL was born from guys building it themselves using parts they had on hand or could afford. Back then hot rodding was NEVER a rich mans sport....

This mentality divides car guys.

8. knuckinfutts

knuckinfutts
    from michigan

I say if its cool to you then build it, there will always be haters and critics.

"Even if your an amateur, make it look professional"

9. F&J

F&J

This is the exact thing that George was talking about, and what is causing the drama on hanb in the last few years. Redifining the word traditional, to be on here with an OT build and claim it is traditional.

It does not matter, if whatever OT vehicle is built "in the spirit" of using what was available. It does not get a free pass on here from a lot of members or moderators.

edit, and the other thing that drives some away from here, is that when that person speaks up on backing the traditional stand, he is bashed by the rat rodders, and kulture crowd

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Buzznut, I think you misunderstood me a bit. I'm not telling you to go away forever, I'm just saying if the thought of people on here not liking your bobber bothers you, post about other cars here and leave the bobber for somewhere else.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

I always liked Rudy's truck, I remember when it made it's debut at Paso one year, that truck is cool! I wouldn't call it a bobber, but it sure is a Hot Rod! the only thing wrong with it is Guzman's uh... "art"?

12. indyjps

indyjps

Back to the original post. The 46 cab you want to use is pretty wide with a giant firewall, Id say proportionally you need at least a hood, anything you can do to make the cab appear narrower and reduce the firewall will help, sectioning the cab is an option but a shitload of work. Grill - what's the plan, you need to taper into a narrower grill for a hot rod look. The bed has to be the right height, if you're ujsing 50's fins you need to get the curve / crown out of the panel for a slab side bed, the cab is very round while the bed will be angular with the fins. That cab is too big overall, An earlier cab would be better. Not trying to tell you not to try this, its a lot of work to mix and match and come out with something that looks good, lay it out, sketch it up, or photoshop it to death to get a good plan together.

13. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

"wtf" lol

14. IMO, they are a fad that has been way overdone. They all look alike after a while. If that's what spins your wheels, then build it.......but don't be surprised if not everyone likes it. Especially here.

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm not redefining traditional...we all know what traditional truly is.

What's really funny about all of this is that my grandpa, on his farm, back in the 40's and 50's, did what EVERY other midwest farmer and their sons did back in the day. They would cobble a car together to use on the farm and the farmers kids would cruise those cars and race them at night.

16. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Hell yes but you just can"t throw it toghether has to be proportion correctly,no tractor grilles,:DHere is one from the HOT Rod Reuion I think the guy nailed it

Attached Files:

17. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Build it! Who cares what anybody thinks, it's yours and you like it. I'm no kid, and I have one on the jig table now! 38 Ford on bars!

18. Larry T

Larry T

Wrong, Hot Rodding was enjoyed by folks of all financial standings. You think Ivo and Norm were digging in the dumpster for their next meal?

And lots of cars were built with parts that the owners couldn't afford.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

More like MOST hot rods are built with parts the owner cant afford...:rolleyes::D

20. slammed

slammed

Ah, now your pushing the envelope George. Knowing what is and owning what is also play's into the mix.

21. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

I would bet every part IVO got was new or made just for his projects. Most built by MEN that thought out of the box.

22. Quintin

Quintin

if your taking a ride from the 40s and building in as if it were a beat up jalopy in the 60s with the parts available at the time, how can it not be traditional. Just cause you dont see them that were originally built at that time, doesnt mean there werent any built like this back in the day. my 2cents

23. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

x2 ^^^^ well said!!!

24. jazz1

jazz1

myself i am still undecided on fenders,,it does rain on my planet and it's snowing tonight...

[​IMG]

25. By your definition, kids building Honda Civics are "traditional" in the spirit of 1940's - 1950's hot rodding.

26. Then show us the photos of grandpa's bobber trucks and all arguments against their being traditional will cease.

27. Quintin

Quintin

I think you need to read a little closer. He said nothing about newer cars, the latest is a 1956. Your comparing a 1956 chevy with a honda civic?

28. Quintin

Quintin

So alls everyone needs is a picture of a fenderless truck from the 40s-50s to prove that its a traditional when its build with the same parts as every other hot rod of the day?

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I actually bought a '35 cab/hood/grille and was going to build a clone of this truck last year...I like its proportions, and the car grille...but it is a '35, not a 40's cab.

I sold it...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. jazz1

jazz1

not mine but it I find it inspiring,,

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.