Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy Tin woody-woodie base paint color?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jkane, Apr 7, 2013.

1. jkane

jkane

I am in the midst of restoring a 52 Chevy tin woody wagon and need a recommendation on the base paint color for the faux wood sides. One was Ash? and the other Mahogony? What manufacturere's paint color and code do I need for the base?
    Thanks for you help.

2. Use a light beige with a slight yellow tint in a Laquer for your base.....
    I think they used that on early 70'S GM and Ford cars....the wood colors are oil based reddish browns and blacks and cleared with a Urethane clear........

3. this one was grained by Ron Steward Independence Missouri.......

Attached Files:

4. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Here's some pics of one that was done by Lyle Fisk and myself . We made our base and grain colors.

Attached Files:

TFoch and a boner like this.

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

philly, say your wagon at Del Mar, it was one of my favorites there

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

man, i wish i owned a nice wagon.

Attached Files:

7. jimbousman

jimbousman

If you are thinking of doing it yourself I would check out these guys. They have a pretty neat system and a lot of knowledge on original restoration colors and techniques.

http://woodgraining.com/

8. Jdee

Jdee

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it in the air? I just got tapped on the shoulder about one of these yesterday.

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That light buff/yellow urethane primer makes a perfect maple basecoat. I used colonial maple gel stain for the graining over it. For the mahogany inserts, a light carmel color basecoat was used with red mahogany gel stain. I don't like the pale ash colors originally used, and I added finger joints, and faux seams where a real wood body would have separate pieces. This was not done originally.

My car fools cabinetmakers and the general public alike, so the colors I chose worked out well for me.

PM me if you want to discuss details, I'm happy to talk about Tin Woodys!

Brian

Attached Files:

11. jkane

jkane

All great information and your cars are outstanding. Thanks for the insight and help.
    Jeff

12. jkane

jkane

Thanks for selling me what is turning out to be my favorite car. Progress is slow, but it will be worth it. Still collecting parts. If you run into any NOS pieces, especially sheet metal, please let me know. Looking for some rust free rear wheel houses and a rust free, right, front, inner fender panel.
    Say Hi to Joe.

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Too bad it's such a horrible color...:rolleyes:

Brian

14. jkane

jkane

This is exactly like the my uncle's car that I learned to do drive when I was around 11 or 12. Same green-we always called it " The turtle". Great memories.
    Flynbrian, I love your car and the story of towing the Airstream is great.

15. jlckmj

jlckmj

BTT,
    So it is where I can find it when I start to do my wood graining.

Jim

16. Erin OBrien

Erin OBrien

I know this is an old thread but it seems like a great place to ask my question. I love that y'all have the same passion for the Tin Woody.

I am going to eventually wood grain my 51 chevy myself. The photo to the left is when I got it over a year ago. It had plenty of rust so I've worked on all year and now it is all primed (except the firewall has the green paint on it so I could put in the engine). There are 3 base colors: Green, Wheat (light tan), Brown. (the Wheat and Brown will be the two base colors for the wood sections). Now my question... and it has to do with clear coat.

Since it will take a long while for me to do all the wood graining, I am not sure how to best go about clear coating my car at the right time, since I only have 48 hours to clear it after I apply my base acrylic. What is the proper order of painting this car? Here is what I have landed on but I still don't know:
    1. paint the light wood sections. (Wheat). and then mask and paint the inner dark wood section. (Brown)
    2. clear coat those areas.
    3. Then later lightly sand the clear coat and start the graining process with oil based paints/stains.
    4. Once it is all finished (probably after weeks!), then I would paint the green sections in one day.
    5. the following day I would spray clear over the entire car.

Does this sound right? Will the clear adhere to the places I grained over the previous weeks? Will I need to lightly sand the grained areas for the clear to take? Should I use some sort of varnish instead over the grained ares with the old stain (I have heard people doing this) and only clear coat the green?

I just don't want clear coat peeling on me. I know the green will be easy since I can paint and clear coat that section in one weekend. But I know it'll take a long time for me to work on the graining. I'd appreciate any expert painting advice on what the Proper Order and Time Frames should be for doing this three tone paint job.

17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

'49 Ford wood grained dash and window frames . IMG_2069[1].jpg IMG_2072[1].jpg IMG_2073[1].jpg IMG_2074[1].jpg IMG_1471[1].JPG IMG_1472[1].JPG IMG_2071[1].jpg

Irish Mike and TFoch like this.