Register now to get rid of these ads!

Denver HAMBers, what's there to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KenCrete, Apr 11, 2013.

1. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

I'm taking a family trip to Denver April 19th-27th with my parents and my wife & kids to visit my step-brother that lives there. My bro isn't much of a car guy (my step-dad is tho), so I'm calling on you guys for info on stuff to do while girls are shopping, kids are napping, etc. Is there any car shows or swap meets during that week? Or how bout some cool junk yards, or classic car dealers, or custom shops to visit? Thanks -Kenny

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Rod runs don't usually start around here until May...there are a couple of cruises...Sonic, Friday nites at Tower and Hampden in eastern Aurora...Burger King in southern Lakewood (can't give you and address tho-think it's Florida and Kipling), on Wednesday nite

In Denver there's Masterpiece Rodding (shop), don't know an address on them...C4 Rods as well...again, no address...Streamline is gone...Kenz and Leslie in Wheatridge but they don't have much in the way of stuff to look at...they are a working distributor...but you might get to meet Ron Leslie...

Junk yards are all pick-a-part now...nothing early other than Svigel's on South Santa Fe...but they are particular who they let into their yard...

There's Pinkees' in Ft. Collins, 60 miles north, Dave Crouse's Custom Auto in Loveland...and Mike DeVreindt's classic cars in ColoRODo Springs-60 miles south.

That's about all I know of around here in April...some other HAMBers may chime in...

R-

3. colorado51

colorado51

I don’t have anything on my calendar for April. Things start to get going in May.

4. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Up north, just west of Greeley on hwy 34, is Martins junk yard. Large area with a LOT of old stuff. Been there for many years & the north end of the yard has treasures.

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yep they used to let you roam all around in it, and I think they still do. Good fun, lots to look at.

6. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

Thanks guys, nothing really happening here in WI either till end of April (huge swap meet). Of course that'll be when I'm in CO! 40StudeDude, I'll google those shops & dealers for addresses. Thanks -Kenny

7. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

Wow u guys are quick. Thanks, I'll definitely check into that junk yard. I love treasure hunting! Looks like it's less than an hour from where we are staying.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  8. There are a couple of "shows" the weekend of the 20th and 21st. On Saturday the 20th there is a show at the Holy Cross Church in Wheat Ridge Colorado (45th and Wadsworth) and on the 21st there is a "show" up at Flatirons Mall (off of hwy 36--Boulder Turnpike) in Broomfield. I am not sure what types of cars will be at both shows. But....new faces and new cars are always interesting.

Matt

9. monsterflake

monsterflake

i need somebody to pull some parts from a van in denver and ship 'em for me. that sounds like fun, don't it?

10. luciomduran

luciomduran

Shelby American Collection is in Boulder. Only opened on Saturdays though.
    Streamline is gone? Did it close? When?

11. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

Fartin Martin's! I started going there over 30 years ago. Amazing it's still around.

12. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

I know this is a traditional rods & customs site which I love, but I can appreciate just about any old car & the work their owners put into them. Plus you are absolutely right about new cars & faces; kinda get tired of the same old cars with the same old dudes with the same old stories. Thanks for the info!:cool: -Kenny

13. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

Sounds like a hoot! But like I said, bro's not a car guy so tools won't be available. Sorry Monster.:) There's gotta be one of these guys here able to help you out.;)

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, I was there about two weeks ago looking for some more Lizardskin and all of the retail is gone...and the guy that was there told me the building was sold to an architect firm and that the only thing Streamline is going to do is the Vintage parts stuff they moved in from Oregon (Washington...???) and Gennie Shifter...altho I don't know what they are doing with Gennie Shifter...

KenCrete...the place in ColoRODo Springs is called "Pikes Peak Motor Company"...

R-

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Wheat Ridge Lanes does a great friday night cruise night. (this is my favorite one around)
    Del Taco near 1st and Union does a wednesday night cruise night.
    Not a lot of shops I i know other than what was mentioned.

There is Krazy Kreations near 7th and vallejo, if you want to see some oddball off the wall stuff Rick is the guy who is building it. Depending on your schedule and what I have going on I could meet you or take you there. His shop can be a bit intimidating at first, but he's way cool.

I'd personally not waste my time at sviegels, The reception I've gotten there is colder than siberia in january.

Martins in Greeley is worth the drive, or at least was the last time I was up that direction. Pinkees isnt far from there, Newstalgia is in that area as well, I hear they have a cool shop, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

16. choptvan

choptvan

IF you make it down to the springs are, give me a call. Stop on by if you like. We always have cool shit to check out! Pot O GOld Kustoms. 719-358-6981. There is another yard near here, Webb and Co. Old man is a prick. But the yard is cool. And another vote for Pikes Peak Motor CO. Rich and Mike are great guys. Real cool shit to look at down there. So much they forget what they have really.

17. Go to Rocky Mountain National Park just outside Boulder. At least just drive through. It has the highest roadway above sea level at like 14,000 feet.....was one of the best scenic drives of my life!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

Wow! thanks guys, we'll see how the week goes. hopefully I can take some of u guys up on your offers. So much to do might have to go by myself next time!

Gearhead Graphics, do you have a shop? seen some of the pinstriped items you had for sale, wouldn't mind possibly making a purchase. you do good work.

Choptvan, we stayed in the springs about 20yrs ago on a visit. Its beautiful there! hopefully we can make it down there on this trip & visit your shop. thanx

Krash, we drove through the park on our last visit maybe 10yrs ago. Awesome views for sure. Had the little rental car screamin up some of those roads, thought she was gonna blow! We'll prob go through again.

19. Rocky Mountain National Park is fantastic, and a great place to go if you are interested in the outdoor stuff, but April is too early for a visit. It is still snowing and cold in the high country and Trail Ridge Road (the high road through the park) does not open until Memorial Day.

If you are into beer, Denver (and surrounding) has some great small breweries/bars.

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Ken, I work out of my home garage, but do have some stuff on hand for sale currently, luggage, purses, coolers, flasks and such...

21. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

We will definitely be checking out some of those. My step-dad brews his own beer so he loves the micro-breweries.:D

22. KenCrete...the place in ColoRODo Springs is called "Pikes Peak Motor Company"...

R-[/QUOTE]

If you come down I'll buy you a cup of coffe at the Dunkin Donuts just up the block. It's worth the trip I think for the stuff he has at PPMC.

I'll be out of town though myself the 25th-28th.

Ken(too)

23. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

Very cool, when I'm in town I'll send ya a PM. Maybe I could sneak my side cover off my 235 into my luggage or something. I'll buy You a shot!:cool:

24. monsterflake

monsterflake

i'd recommend a trip to colorado springs, no matter what. there's tons of things to see, mining museum, air force academy, old colorado city, garden of the gods, pikes peak...

25. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

If you come down I'll buy you a cup of coffe at the Dunkin Donuts just up the block. It's worth the trip I think for the stuff he has at PPMC.

I'll be out of town though myself the 25th-28th.

Ken(too)[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the offer Ken! Just checked the website for Pikes Peak MC, really hope I can make it there. Just worried I'll be draggin home a project instead of sleeping on the plane with my family!

26. S2X01

S2X01

Wheat Ridge Lanes on Friday nights is my favorite also.
    Even when the sun isn't out...there's cars there.
    If it's even a little warm...should be a good turnout.

27. monsterflake

monsterflake

c'mon colorodans, can SOMEBODY near wheatfield grab some parts for me? the guy's supposed to pull 'em, they just need to be boxed up and dropped off at a fedex facility for me. i can pay for the parts, maybe throw in a little gas money, and i have my own account.

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Surely you must mean "WheatRIDGE"...???

Get me an address...WheatRidge covers a lot of territory...and what you want picked up...shoot me a PM...

No guaranty I'll drive up there cuz that's near 30 miles from my place but I may have to go that way in the next few weeks...IF you can wait that long...

R-

29. monsterflake

monsterflake

thanks roger, i do have an offer of help, so hopefully it will work out.

30. Hit up Tacos Rapidos on Federal Blvd. 24-hour huge burritos!!!