Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which ways the Beach? Santa Maria to Austin Roadtrip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, Apr 3, 2013.

1. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Surfcaliforniasurf...you rock!
    Love this post! Your family is great!

2. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have been following this thread all week. What is alittle unsettling that I am now following a blog by MissPartyMom.

Neal

3. This is an awesome road trip! You and your family will remember it forever! Thanks for sharing!

4. Can't get enough of reading these road trip posts!

Your pix of your '59 Wagon against some of these old road side attractions are classic! Yea, you could have done it in a new car, but i don't think you (and your family)would have had as much fun...and that's what it's all about! :D

5. texastramp

texastramp

This is just a completely freakin' cool post. ............ Makes me want to fold up the tent and get in my van like in the 70's and go.

6. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

Spreading the Gospel . . . your kids will never forget this trip. Thanks for sharing it with us!

7. TexasDart

TexasDart

I'm doing the route 66 cruise in May...thanks for pointing out Oatman...I've got to go there. We have reservations for ElRancho and the Blue Swan.

Glad you and the family are having a good time. Also glad you finally got that rattling lifter problem figured out.

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

9. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Very inspiring!! I hope to do this sorta thing with my ride soon as well. Thanks for sharing!!!

10. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Thank you for posting. I can't wait for my " don't have a plan, but heading South" road trip this Fall.

11. That was so awesome! Thanks for sharing you're story! I have been on many trips like this and I always wanted to go on another with my old lady.

12. Jaybird60

Jaybird60

Freaking awesome man. There's no way my wife would think of doing this with our 4 year old and 1 year old boys, but i'm gonna let her read this and maybe change her mind!

13. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Very Cool!!! Thanks for sharing.
    peAce

14. BaBa

BaBa

Your kids will be talking about this trip for the rest of their lives. Thanks for taking us all along!

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Dude- I had no idea about this thread! Thank goodness Ryan said something!

It was great meeting you and Cormac in Austin.

Great thread. This is what it's all about man!!!

16. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Oh Great! I just spat coffee all over my keyboard!

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

This is a great read! Your 59 did way better than my did on the way to the Roundup a few years ago... or maybe you're just better at fixing things. :)

18. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

"Dad, I don't want this road trip to end!" "Neither do I Son!"

The Best line of all 9 pages yet..
    you guys are simply awesome, thank you again for sharing your trip..

19. n847

n847

^^^So True

I'm with Ryan...I also propose that at least one of these pics makes it into the HAMB calendar!

20. Stylish Kustoms

Stylish Kustoms

It was great seeing you guys today at the very tail end of your "Road Trip" (we only live a few blocks away from each other). I'm glad you made it home safe and with only minor problems. This thread and your photos tell the tale of a lifetime that Cormac and Birdie will remember for the rest of their lives. I am hoping to make the trip next year in my '55. Thanks for keeping us posted and let's surf soon.

Mark

Stylish Kustoms

Attached Files:

21. hudson48

hudson48

Reliving great memories that we had doing Route 66 in 2009.

22. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 10 the final leg

Waking up early for us (8am), we searched for the Golden Arches for our final breakfast on the road (Kenna and I have declared a family detox after 10 days of food on the road), topped off the tank in Bullhead city, knowing CA was a dollar more a gallon, then we headed west. A quick gas stop in Newberry Springs, we hit the 58 west towards Bakersfield (this way we did not backtracking the whole trip), gassed up in Mojave, and then enjoyed the nice change of scenery from desert to trees and rolling green hills as we dropped down on the 223 into Arvin. After a quick lunch of street style tacos in Arvin(TEXMEX was good, but this CA family needed some good old fashioned street tacos), we took the 166 across towards the coast. We were all waiting to feel that ocean breeze, and when we came over a hill and saw the marine layer, we knew we were home.

As we approached our final turn before home, we saw my friend Mark from Stylish Kustoms, which was fun to have someone who appreciates old cars see us at the end of our journey, filth and all (Mark did point out it is smoking a little on acceleration).

As we turned on our street, the kids were fighting to get out of their car seats, and to get some toys other than the one etch-a-sketch and 4 books we packed. As I unloaded our luggage into the garage, a CA Highway Patrolman whipped up and parked at the curb. I was wondering what was wrong, if my house was ok while I was gone, but he walked up and tried to buy the wagon off me! No joke not 5 minutes after I pulled in from our trip. I told him that we just had the best trip ever, and there was no way I would sell it to him! We shot the breeze for about 15 minutes til he got a call. THen Kenna and I looked at each other in the garage and just laughed and hugged each other. What a great 10 days we had as a family! 3,330+- miles, 5 states, 500 cannonballs into the pool, 5 valve cover removals, 1 broken pushrod, and memories we will never forget Thanks for coming along with us!

Final day driving shirt
    [​IMG]
    10 days and you get pretty good
    [​IMG]
    Road Trip Secret...Candy when kids start to lose it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Are we back in Texas???
    [​IMG]
    Hide and Seek
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Home Sweet Home!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep an eye on http://www.misspartymom.blogspot.com/ for Kenna's wrap-up later tonight!

23. Jay71

Jay71

Stoked! This thread put a smile on my face like no other.

24. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

BEST thread so far this year.. Man I love that wagon!!

25. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

You guys are some real first class fun havers !! Thanks for letting us ride along , looking forward to your next episode !

26. Most excellent adventure!! Thanks for taking us along. Nice job on the thread.

27. Epic trip! Thank for sharing it with us! Kenna's perspective on her blog has been great all week, too. You guys rule!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. roughneck424

roughneck424

Glad to see you made it home safe and sound. I was in Maricopa today for a little while. Was keeping an eye out for you :) My Mom lives right on the Highway there ,looks like you drove right by. Funny while I was there at Moms we were digging thru some stuff and I found some photos of one of our Rt 66 trip 45 years ago.

29. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

Best read ever your family rocks

30. 510madmav

510madmav