Register now to get rid of these ads!

String wrapping a steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ricknroll, Mar 31, 2011.

1. johnod

johnod

Thats an absolute beauty.
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but if there is a place/thread where i can see more please PM me if thats better.
    Thanks for the pic

john

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. Check out this site, there are some tutorials there. I basically just copied what I saw there. Let me look to see if I can find something better though. I spent last February in the hospital recovering from the removal of an intestinal tumor, so I had plenty of time to learn :) The nurses did find it odd that I was constantly fiddling with a steering wheel, lol.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. striper

striper

4. banginona40

banginona40

I wrapped the the cross bar of my '40 steering wheel with some hemp cord I found at local crafts store. Got it nice and tight and then painted it with white glue.

5. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Well, here is the wheel I just finished wrapping. Now trying to decide do I just run it uncovered. Or do I need to finish it with something? I drive the car alot, so do I just let it get dirty and age, or stain it or dye it darker?

Thanks
    RustyNCA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. That is cool, I'd let go natural, or stain it to match your jacket... er door panels?

7. johnod

johnod

If it was mine I'd also stain to go with interior. Dirty white is not a good look.

Any chance of getting some pics of your car, i like what I see and want to see more.

8. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Well, after lots a playing around with different colors on some sample pieces, I think I have decided to go with a flat black on the string. All the browns were ending up with a dirty green tint to them.

Here is just a couple of the car, I will send you more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and 530sandman like this.
  9. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Traditional alright.

10. johnod

johnod

Very cool car.
    Re - dye, try leather dye,I've never used brown, but black fixes/hides a multitude of sins.:)

11. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

After testing a bunch of different colors and ways of dye. I ended up using SEM flat black leather/vinyl spray. It all just ended up looking dirty, and I have used the same stuff to change a set of seat belts in our olds from tan to black years ago, and it still looks pretty good, so I went with that.

Thanks for help guys.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

This was done for gripping, not for beauty.

Used a cotton clotesline like small rope from Home Depot I think, and used the tuck under method. No glue or coating. Just let the sweat, dirt and oil soak in, I dont like gloves. Easy and quick to re-wrap if it gets too dirty or a bit loose as the right side has in the one photo.

The wrap can be rotated to tighten it and put the tucked in overlapped cord bulges on the bottom.

Attached Files:

chriseakin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

14. sololobo

sololobo

What a killer post, I have been intriqued with this since I first saw it in an old stock car in the fifties. Thanx to all for the info posted. sololobo~

15. GARY?

GARY?

Yeah, that little silver bullit looks like a blast!!

16. johnod

johnod

What's the steering wheel?

17. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

It is a 62 Oldsmobile Starfire Wheel from what I was told. I bought it here on the H.A.M.B. and got lucky and found the center cap on fleabay.

Here is what I started with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have a finished photo, but here is the wheel right after I finished the string.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. willymakeit

willymakeit

Different and Im going to use it.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm gonna be the only one that doesn't like it. I should keep quiet but I won't.:D

I never saw it on a hot rod until the craft shows started with the macrame stuff. I never saw it in the 60s. I don't know exactly when it started but to me it's just a cheap way to cover up cracks. I prefer to restore the wheel and paint it. Ive done a few and I prefer a shiny painted wheel. JMHO

20. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Good info. I have a Willys army jeep steering wheel that is real skinny and I was going to wrap it with something. Now I know what to try.

21. That sounds like a do-able thing, don't forget to post a pic of your progress?

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I just wrapped my wheel in my 46 ford with the bigger clothes line rope, its just under 1/4 inch diameter so the fancy coxcombing didn't really work to well as the wheel is very narrow and the rope fairly fat so it was very hard to read.

I unwrapped it and started over just keeping it simple and 100 feet and 90 minutes later it was wrapped. I did it to get the girth of the wheel up so it instead of making it look fancy but i do like the looks of it and after driving it only a little bit i can say that it did help quite a bit in keeping my hands happy.

before wrapping it I could feel my fingers strain turning at low speed and parking now with the fatter wheel its all but gone, i suppose if i want to fancy it up i could take a smaller twine and do a pattern on top of the existing rope?

anyhow just wanted to post that it did work for me :)

23. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Pic please, Tim.

24. Yeah ... pic's, if you please.

25. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

CB,...I'd leave it there...... A work of art, for sure.

4TTRUK

26. Cool! Subsribed.

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'll post one in a bit after I upload them

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo1_zpsf36ae17d.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

ok so here you see the stock wheel and that its about the size of the tip of my pointer finger.

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo2_zps78c26981.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I had thought about installing a necker/suicide knob and looks like i wasn't the first one with that idea when i got a closer look! hah

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo3_zpsf63c06df.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

here you can see that i just wrapped it as close and tight as i could manage and how much bigger it made the rim of the wheel. Doesn't seem like much but it sure helped.

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo4_zps1ca78808.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

this is what i ended up with in the intersections. I tried to do it like the one posted on here with the lopes around the bar and then lace it back and forth to look more seamless but with a fat cord and at least another couple of yards to pull threw every little twist and turn it wasn't working for me after a few repetitions in. It also didn't look very uniform because of the cord size.

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo5_zps8f9ef225.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo2_zpse2bc258e.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

the left had side were I finished just after/under the intersection looks better in person, For some reason in the photos it looks like a tangled phone cord. I'll probably mess with it some more later to get it a little better looking. I tucked the end in when i started, used a square knot when i joined the two 50 foot lengths and wrapped over the ends to make it smoother and then at the very end used a knot like this

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo1_zpsd890bcb9.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

to cinch it tight and kinda wove it around and tucked it in. thats probably why in the photos it looks lose as it doesn't stick with the 'grain' of the rest catching the light i guess?

anyhow, I used some of the links in this post to understand how the patterns work and it seemed pretty easy. I have hundreds of hours of experience on looms weaving and my wife is a knit a holic so it wasnt to foreign but i really feel like i need to see a video of some one doing it, theres gotta be a trick with pulling all the remaining cord threw every move you make.

I used 100 feet of 7/16 cord and did not glue or coat it at all, I did start out making a single french cox comb but after about 5 inchs i could tell that it wasnt going to read very well with the small rim being wrapped and the fat cord being used. Like I said in my first post the looks were some what secondary to getting a fatter wheel. I may get some smaller string/cord and weave a fancier design over the top of what ive already done so i can have the look and the fat wheel function ill keep you all posted on that i suppose.

one that i do have to add though is with the single french design it took roughly 5 feet of cord to wrap about 4 1/2 inches of the wheel. If your going to get fancy with the design and use the smaller stock get ALOT of it

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wow! Just went for a 20 minute drive threw town, started snowing so I headed back home ... But anyhow the wrap made a staggering difference. Much much easier to steer in town now.

30. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

Got bored this winter so repaired the cracks with some old two-part epoxy I had and wrapped with some corded string. A few coats of clear urathane and good enough. Marvin,ct

Attached Files: