Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mid 30's fender wheel opening support??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nhmikel, Apr 10, 2013.

1. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

What do you think? I do have NOS front fenders to start with for my truck
    A friend of mine suggested I weld a flat stock bar radiused to match the curve, just on the inside. This is to help support and minimize stress so as not to crack.
    Should I do this? Any other ideas, material choice, or pics?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. F&J

F&J

There must have been a factory fender brace, from framerail side, up under the headlight stand, and most likely out to the fender bead.

I'd get some info or advice from someone on here with the same truck.

As far as cracks in the beads, these are caused by old fender damage or dents, that tweak the fender and the brace. If you look in the old body repair books, it always says to normalize the brace, after fixing a fender, so that it won't crack. This is done after everything is bolted in the right position, then heat the brace to let it relax.

3. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Thoughts anyone? Do I need to be proactive to minimize the all common cracks/splits
    for the opening?

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If those are ,indeed N.O.S. fenders, I wouldn't screw them up by welding reinforcement in them. After all, it took many, many years of use and abuse before the old ones split or cracked. Just make sure when you install them that you don't pull any awkward stress into them. Make sure your existing inner braces fit.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

X2 - Don't weld anything to those NOS fenders. I have passed up many nice fenders at swap meets just because that had been done to them in the past.

6. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

The number one reason for fenders splitting/cracking was the buggy suspension (no shock absorbers for those fenders levering out into the breeze) and the condition of those dirt roads they were built for.

if both have changed....

7. alchemy

alchemy

GOD NO! Don't go welding strap on the insides of those fenders. It will take 50 years of hard, rough roads to make your nice fenders crack.

8. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

thanks for the input
    Yes,,, we have changed out the suspension..Must II and updated rear

9. I would think welding to the fenders would cause cracks

10. BobPer

BobPer

As said earlier, the road conditions have changed and welding to NOS fenders will lower the value. My fenders aren't cracked, and other pairs I have are hit or miss, literally! The only ones that are cracked are ones that got hit in the front which puckers out the side and cracks. As long as your radiator support and fender braces are in place, you should have no trouble. Bob

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I would not weld anything to them unless they were already cracked.

12. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

If you feel that you must do something, preform a piece of stock and then glue it in with the latest adhesive, that way you could remove it with a little heat if necessary.

Make sure you fill all the voids to keep the area from filling with water and rotting.
    Sand it smooth and very few people will notice.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I second the advice that you should not weld anything into NOS fenders (or even just good used originals).

Typically when such 'reinforcements' are added to something that may have a tendency to crack, the stress moves to just beyond the brace and cracks anyway.

Some flexibilty is actually desired to reduce concentration of stress and resultant metal fatigue.

Ray