Register now to get rid of these ads!

My "Build that thing and get it out of my spot!" Shoebox build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DadsBlueFord, Jan 23, 2013.

1. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

2. 66slabside

66slabside

Looking' good man. Always wanted a purple car. Got close to painting my Old '65 Nova that purple color that was on Camaros back in the early '90's I believe it was. Then the engine blew and I sold it cheap.
    Darryl

3. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Thanks Darryl. Funny you should mention that color, I've got several pics of Bright Purple Metallic 1998 Camaros in my paint ideas folder. I'm about 75% I'm going with 1969 Lincoln Medium Orchid. This is the only picture of a car in that color that I've been able to find anywhere on the internet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The touch-up sample I had the paint store mix up for me is much lighter looking than that Mustang. More like the '49 earlier in the thread.

4. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Finally got my ass out in the garage to try to make some progress tonight. Here I was hoping the driver's side would be easier than the passenger side rocker. Yeah, not so much. It's going to be a LOT more work. Bent a little metal, cut out some rot, and spent a lot of time looking and thinking about how the hell I'm going to tackle it without chopping out the entire inner and outer rockers.

5. 66slabside

66slabside

Awesome color! I'm looking at colors for my '66 Lincoln and thought maybe a stock color from another year but haven't really looked all that much. Man, can't even imagine a big ass Lincoln painted that color. What a sight!

6. haring

haring

I had an Italian scooter (not HAMB material) painted a very dark metallic purple, and I think it looks great. It was inspired by Larry Watson's "Vino" Thunderbird, so it is two-tone purple and white. The purple was a black-purple (black metallic base with purple pearl, and the white was metallic white with lilac pearl). It looks black and white in the darkness of the garage, but lights up in sunlight. It's a work in progress, so it's not on the road yet. It's purple, but subtle, and in the 60's custom tradition.

7. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Do you have any pics of that? That paint sounds awesome. If you don't want to post OT pics here, you can email me at [email protected].

8. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

No real progress to report, but I was looking through Rikster's collection of Larry Watson photos, and was amazed to see how many custom purple paint jobs there were back then.

9. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Got a link to that Jeep tach?

10. daddio211

daddio211

If you're still interested in info on the chopped 4 door I posted a few months ago there was a picture and some text in the latest Goodguys Gazette.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. In Australia we had an early 70's Holden sedan with a metallic colour called Ultra Violet, it may be of interest to you maybe not!
    Here are a couple of photos of one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Whats up man. I have been neglecting my car as I'm busy on a customer nightmare paint job. I just wanted to let you know that last time I was buying supplies I was checking out the shimrin 2 by HOK paint colors on the wall and they have a few purple colors that look pretty bad ass. You should check them out when you get a chance.

-Dane

13. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

There are a bunch on eBay, search Jeep CJ tachometer. Seems the price has gone up a bit, about $55.

14. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I don't get that one. Any chance you can scan it and email it to me?

15. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

That looks very close to the 1969 Lincoln Medium Orchid I'm thinking about. Nice, thanks!

16. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I've looked at them, beautiful colors, but HOK paint is SPENDY! The steering wheel is an HOK color (Violette?).

17. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

The only real progress I've made is on the engine, about 90% there. Just need to install the distributor, spark plug wires, coil, and alternator.

I did a search here for the best way to paint finned valve covers, and there seemed to be 3 schools of thought. First, mask off the top of each fin. Second, mask the sides, etc, and use thinner to clean the paint off the fin tops. Last, use chap stick on the fins and wipe it off before the paint is completely dry. A few swore by the last method, and complained about the time it took to mask off each fin, so I tried it.

If I had it to do over again (and I probably will), I would take the time to mask the fins, because it would save time in the long run. The paint requires 10 minutes between coats, and recommends 2 light coats and one medium coat each, for primer and color. So 6 coats. Gets pretty dry after an hour of painting. So it didn't exactly wipe off. Had to use thinner to clean off the fin tops, which took a ton of time in itself, and now I get to re-mask and re-spray a section because all that rubbing with a thinner-soaked rag invariably led to a couple instances where my impatience/complacency resulted in lovely mars in the new paint. AAARGH!!! :eek:

Anyway, before:
    [​IMG]

As of yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Lots of elbow grease in this thing. Polished and painted the valve covers; re-polished the intake before I realized I couldn't use it; polished all the stainless bolt heads, painted the block, oil pan, crank pulley, and water pump; re-polished the carb and headers. Worth the trouble, I think.

18. 4rod

4rod

wow that's a purdy engine...you've done a great job...

19. I'm enjoying this build. I'm happy to see you're not being ripped into by those more door haters. Every time I tried to talk about more doors on here all I got was grief. That's the reason I've been away from here for so long. Low and behold it turns out there's more assholes on facebook than on the H.A.M.B. Either way I'm loving your build. My Merc, if I ever get to get going on it is also going purple. Probably going satin finish because who's got time to do all the body work like it needs to be done? Plus if you're trying to come in under 5 grand total you can't put a lot into bodywork. I'm going to add a pic of one of the cars I was eyeballing for color just to mess with your thoughts on color a little bit. If I decide to make it shiny I'm thinking something like this.

Attached Files:

20. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Thanks. That color is very similar to the lavender engine paint I was considering. Don't think I'd do the whole car that color though. I prefer metallics.

I wish I'd only have $5k in this car! My "budget" (such that it was) is long since blown. I've probably still got another $10k to go, with the chop (assuming I go ahead with it), paint, interior, chrome, and a thousand other little odds and ends. And that's with doing all the bodywork myself. The car will never be worth what I put into it, but that doesn't matter because it'll never get sold.

21. That car is actually a pearl coat I believe. Here's a couple more pics of it so you can see the difference.

Attached Files:

22. Russ V.

Russ V.

I want to compliment you on your willingness and ability to stick with the project, develop skills as you progress, and make the commitments necessary to succeed.

I have been through Hayden lots of times and would like to meet you the next time I go through, if it works for you. I have been a gearhead for most of my life and really enjoy meeting guys that are literate, talented, and the type of person that digs in and gets things done.

Please do not hesitate to email and start a friendship.

Russ Verbael
    Great Falls, Montana

[email protected]

23. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Thanks for the kind words!

It feels like I haven't been getting anything done, since I haven't done any more metal work in quite a while, but I have been slowly progressing on getting the motor built. Everything takes about 4x as long as I think it will, and getting all the right bolts seems to be the biggest culprit. I'm about ready to stab the distributor, and then it's just a couple odds and ends and I'll be ready to head to the dyno to break it in and get it tuned up.

Sending you an email, Russ.

Kelly

24. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Any progress man?

25. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Not really. It's finally summer up here - summers are short so we're out camping and boating as much as possible. Also building a shed, which is a major PITA without any help. I'm determined to finish the engine up in the next week or so (famous last words!) and get it over to the dyno for break-in and tuning.

26. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Wow man. I am just checking in on ya. You have a come a good amount of the way. And considering you just started welding like a year ago you really got the knack. I need to get one of those there Millermatics! :) I think the Plum Crazy is still the way to go. I see a lot of rods,classics and kustoms with that pearlish lighter purple. They look good, dont get me wrong. I just love original ideas. Great work. Have some fun in the short ID summer then keep at it.

27. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Thanks bro! Yeah I haven't gotten anything done in months, been trying to enjoy the nice weather, and I've been stuck in Columbus, OH for 3 weeks doing training for work. Can't wait to get home, and hopefully get a little bit done.

I keep going back and forth in my head on the color. Ultimately, it's going to come down to which direction I end up going, kustom or hot rod. I'm leaning more toward hot rod at the moment, which means Plum Crazy. I wish I could come up with a good way to 2-tone it, but shoeboxes don't lend themselves to that very well without a different car's trim.

I'm really happy with the Millermatic, actually both of them. Can't go wrong with Miller.

28. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

How is the Ford progressing?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I wish I could say it was. I was busy all summer with summer stuff and work, and since then I've been building a bunch of stuff out of wood. Built a shed, built my daughter a loft bed and a cigar box guitar. I got all that stuff done, so now I have no excuses. Time to get back at it.

30. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Any updates?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!