Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which ways the Beach? Santa Maria to Austin Roadtrip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Make sure you pull off onto the business loop and see a lot of buildings, motels and gas stations left over on Rt. 66

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome, I keep checking back and always enjoy the from the road updates. Glad you found a pushrod, I suppose thats why "every one" runs a sbc haha. try that with a flathead ;)

have a safe rest of the trip :)

3. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

that's awesome. i love to see people making the hobby a family affair. good for you guys!

4. Great story, great pics. Godspeed, and a safe trip home.

5. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

This is maybe the best Family road trip story EVER. Great photos, Even greater story. Be safe and hope you get home in 1 peace.

6. lwrthnu07

lwrthnu07
    from Gurdon, AR

This is one of the most awesome stories I've read in a long time! We've always taken our kids to shows, but never cross country! Kudos to you Daddy-O!

7. roughneck424

roughneck424

Thanks for posting. Great photos and stories. I even got my wife to read the HAMB and she enjoyed the story. We were at the Big Texan a while back. They have redone the rooms, they are nice an clean and a good place to sleep off a big steak dinner.
    If you have the time Grand Canyon Caverns is a good touristy stop on RT 66.

8. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Love It. Good Job Dad!

9. n847

n847

Dude you...and your family are my hero's! This is an epic road trip...thanks for sharing.

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

11. I have totally enjoyed reading this. My wife and I have also gotten a hoot out of your wife's blog. Thanks for including us in your family's memory making!

12. big creep

big creep

wow one of the coolest threads ever! thanks for taking us along, and get home safe!

13. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

My hat's off to you brotha! Your bride is a KEEPER!!!!!! My wife loves road trips too and we've done plenty in our '51 Ford woodie. You're following the same route we took home last summer. We drove from San Fran to Bangor Maine, Savannah, Georgia, Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, St Louis and Rt.66 home.

Here's a link to the blog from our trip... http://oconnorroadtrippart2.blogspot.com/2012/04/april-29-2012-saturday.html

The dinosaur museum in Tucumcari is AMAZING!!!! Your kids will grow up thinking everybody takes long trips in old cars!

I'm sure you've told her, but tell her again what a great partner she is and give her a hug from all of us. You can do it alone but it's not nearly as much fun!

14. 34fordchop

34fordchop
    from California

Thanks for sharing. It looks like you & the family had a awesome time.

15. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed your trip, so sorry I didn t see you at the round -up, i would have like to talk with you again, i drove my 59 elky this year, and plan on driving it to santa maria soon. maybe see you there....

16. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Bump
    Looking forward to today's travel stories.

17. bonesy

bonesy

Awesome family
    Awesome car
    Awesome show
    Awesome road trip.

It guess this is just Awesome!

18. O'Doyle

O'Doyle

Fantastic read mate and great photos also.
    As a dad too (3 young kids) it just goes to show that it isn't a big deal throwing the family in the car (with a little planning) and heading out on a great holiday.

Happy travels man.

19. This is amazing! What a great trip, car and family! Excellent pictures and story too.

20. Amazing pictures. Good for you guys! Safe travels duder!

21. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

DAY 8
    We woke up and did out normal routine, I adjusted the rocker arm before the family awoke, then we went to breakfast, and the Cormac and I hit up the pool til check out time at 11.

Now here was the crazy thing that we were unprepared for...day 7 was spent driving in 94 degree heat all day, and we woke up today with a wind that was so cold it was bone chilling. After check out, the plan was to check out Cadillac Ranch. We pulled up and parked, and Cormac and I decided to run out to the Cadillacs while the girls put on all their clothes in an attempt to stay warm. Running to the cars the wind was at our backs and we were freezing, so after reaching the cars Cormac decided he was cold enough and wanted to return to the car, problem was the walk back was head into what must have been a 50mph wind, getting pelted with dust, and dodging tumbleweeds and used spray paint cans. The girls were smart and stayed in the tuck and rolled warmth of the wagon.

About 30 minutes down the road, the rocker arm started clacking so bad that I had to get off the highway. That adjustment lasted a whole 30 miles. THe town we were in was called Vega, Texas. I pulled up the local Napa, and there was a sign on the door saying to call if you needed anything. I was hoping to borrow a big hammer and a big brass punch to bang the rocker stud back in, since at this point I was sure that was a culprit because the nut was not backing off. The NAPA man told me he was hunting and would not be back today. So I went across the street to Carquest and they were closed to...this was not looking good, and it was so cold outside the family refused to get out of the car and check out the town while I tried to solve the problem. I went into the corner service station, and asked the Texans if I could borrow a big hammer, and they said sure thing. So I removed the valve cover, took off the rocker nut, and lifted off the rocker arm....BINGO!!! The pushrod end was broken off, but now I was in Vega Texas with a broken pushrod, and the NAPA man was hunting and Carquest was closed. I went back into the corner service station, thanked the gentlemen, and asked them if they knew anyone in town who may have a SBC pushrod? They said that Roy would be back in 5 and he might know someone. So I bought the kids and Kenna some candy to buy myself sometime to wait for Roy. Sure enough Roy knew exactly where he had stashed a set of SBC pushrods in his service bay a few years back. I asked "how much?" and he said "its yours!" We are back in business... I threw that thing in and adjusted the valve and was on the road in 10 minutes! THANK YOU ROY!!!

We hit up the Tucumari Dinosaur Museum after lunch, the kids loved it. We also checked out a few of the old hotels in town on route 66. Since the car was now running good, we decided we needed to make up some time since the previous 2 days our mileage was way down. (SORRY NEW MEXICO WE WILL BE BACK). We ended up aiming for Gallup, problem was we ran into a knarly snow storm (mind you I am born and raised on the coast of CA, so any thing besides 70 degrees and sunny is knarly). We pulled into Gallup around 9, rented a room and the Sleep Inn, and then we all went and hit up the pool and jacuzzi til 11. A little late night post swim "Brinner" at Dennys and then we all crashed, thankful the wagon was finally fixed!!!

Cadillac Ranch
    [​IMG]
    THANK YOU ROY!!!
    [​IMG]
    Route 66 hotels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tucumari Dino Museum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Sky we were driving towards was awfully dark
    [​IMG]
    and then SNOW!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Goodnight Gallup
    [​IMG]

23. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

see day 8 post above...

Day 9
    Woke up in Gallup, and we looked out the window hoping the snow was gone. We have been eating waffles for 8 straight days from hotel continental breakfasts, and this morning our hotel had a legit ommlette bar! Great start to day 9! Post breakfast swim with the kids while mom packed up our gear, and then it was time to hit the road, but not before hitting up the Indian Trading post next door and scoring some Route 66 t-shirts for the kids and a new Route 66 driving hat for myself.

Heading west, we got off at the Arizona border to check out the cave but it was closed, but the girls had a good shopping session at the Navajo businesses and Cormac and I cracked open a couple Route 66 sodas. A few miles down the road, and another set of TeePees, but these had a door. So we got off, I parked the wagon in some good old Navajo Reservation Red Mud, and Cormac got to see his first TeePee. The wagon was running so good, it was 85-90 the whole time we were on the 40 today, with frequent jaunts onto Route 66 (we burned no oil either). Can't have a 4 year old boy and not stop at the Wigwam Motel that was in the Movie Cars. We even got to go inside one and check one out! We planned to stay at one, but since we were behind (I already called work and added another vacation day), we needed to press on! When you live in Ca you eat In and OUt burger, but since we have been in the south west for over a week, I think Cormac is now addicted to Sonic Burger.

Let me tell you, the 40 is so much more beautiful then the 10. It is like you are driving through the movie CARS. Today's destination was Laughlin, NV, after a stop in historic Oatman on route 66. 5 minutes into the route 66 drive towards Oatman Cormac fell asleep, and the road was so bad and torn up that Kenna was seriously questioning what could possibly be out here. And then we pulled into the town of Oatman, donkeys wandering the streets (its like you are in a scene from the Three Amigos or Something), and Kenna said, "You did it, good job!" And then I got the idea, lets call a donkey over and wake Cormac up with it right at the car window! BAD IDEA! Tears and screaming for 5 minutes, not sure if he was scared or tired and just wanted to sleep? After about 45 minutes in Oatman (we got a chance to talk to a lady who lives there and told us all about 160 person Oatman), we continued onto Laughlin. It was about 80 when we arrived at 6, we all hit the pool, ate dinner at In and Out, threw some rocks in the Colorado River, and Cormac said, "Dad, I don't want this road trip to end!" "Neither do I Son!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

25. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Parenting------> you're doing it right.

26. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

This is one of the coolest threads ever!! AWESOME!

27. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You've made my year!!!! Greatest road trip ever!!!!!!!

28. roughneck424

roughneck424

And Road Trip picture posting to let all us here on the HAMB follow along. You're doing that right too! :)
    Thanks for sharing

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wish I could give this thread six stars.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Early candidate for post of the year... So good...