Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Lone Star Round Up 2013 photo roundup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Greenberg, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Another Lonestar has come and gone and this year's event was an especially good one. Great cars, great weather and great friends - LSRU was a blast! I am just getting started on my photo thread. Please be patient as it will go slowly until the weekend since I have so much real work I must attend to. For some really great coverage - please see Tom Davison's and Travis Royboy Scanlon (travisfromkansas)'s excellent threads. As I usually do, this is not full coverage by any means and is more an attempt to show artistic images of the cars there. There are many cars I skipped if either there was no way I could make something decent out of it or I had the exact same car in pretty much the same place as last year. So subscribe to this thread, stay tuned and enjoy my Roundup images.

http://www.pbase.com/dlgphoto

[​IMG]

I would love to know specifically what year this ultra cool Ford is.

2. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

3. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

[​IMG]
    This 1934 Buick was the coolest!! I wish I had the chance to pose it somewhere. More coming of that wild straight 8.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Awesome!!!!!!!

5. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

6. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Totally over the top, as usual, Dan. Great work!

7. seatex

seatex

Been waiting on your pics, Dan. Always great coverage! Subscribed!

8. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx Dan, love that 34 Buick. ~sololobo~

9. Awesome thanks for sharing!

10. Love the pictures. Hope there's more!

11. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Thanks everyone! There are tons and tons more, which I will get up as fast as humanly possible without compromising the quality on them.

Here is another from the Meatheads pre event barbeque.

[​IMG]

12. Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Great pics Dan. I'm pretty certain the ultra cool Ford is a '54.

13. Tommy R

Tommy R

Definitely subscribed! Loved what you did with your pics last year.

14. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

Sweet pics Dan!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing with us that didnt get to go. Went to viva this year and saw that 54 Ford and it has alot going on but really like the chop on it.

15. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

Awsome pics say Dan what program do you use to edit your pics just wondering great great work

16. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Can't wait to see them all, I sure love mine, thanks Dan

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

18. Koolman

Koolman

As always great photography and a great "artistic eye'!

19. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Always love your threads!

20. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Thanks Daddy-O, Tommy R, jwcaddy, greasebandit0801, Donny(djust) and TexasSpeed, Koolman and EnragedHawk!! Great to have you all on board. Thanks Daddy-O for letting me know it's a 54. Donny - I'm glad to hear you are still happy with your print. greasebandit0801 - I use a whole slew of things - PhotoShop -natch, Lightroom, Photomatix - for most of my HDRs and then I have the whole suites from Nik, Topaz and OnOne which are all used to varying degrees depending on the effect I am going for and what the picture needs. What is used varies for each image.

[​IMG]

21. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

awesome. awesome! AWESOME!!!!

22. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

i was waiting for you to pop up dan with the shots,i really dont think you have ever taken a bad photo..always awesome!

23. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Thanks so much So-Cal Speed Sacramento and hombres ruin!!! Very much appreciated. Please stop back by, I am barely even started.

[​IMG]

24. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Your pictures just keep getting better and better, thanks for posting great shots at shows!!

25. Luckey7

Luckey7

AWESOME stuff Dan, cant wait for rest!!!
    Never disappointed with your work.

Luckey7

26. Hey Dan, I've been an admirer for a long time. After looking at your approach I have a question.

Are you Photoshopping the spectators out of your shots? You simply get too many clean, un-cluttered compositions not to be doing something about the spectators. I too like to photograph at shows and getting shots without the spectators is almost impossible. You do it consistently. Please don't misinterpret this, it's in no way meant to be a criticism, your work is excellent. Just wondering if you're using PS to get rid of the people or is it possible that you have the infinate patience needed to wait until the scene is clear?

I can only imagine the amount of time it must take in post processing; at any rate, good work...I really enjoy your work. Best wishes for much success.

27. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Thanks so much Nate (dustdevil), Tracy (Luckey7) and seadog!

seadog, in answer to your question I do both, along with other things. I try to look for shots where there are not many people around and can often have them stand out of the way. You also have to keep an eye out for people walking into a shot and for people and things that are reflecting on the car. If it is a shot I really want, I usually set it up - most of the time on a tripod and then keep an eye out for when there is a break in the action - often for only a couple of seconds and then fire. For people reflecting in the paint - I most of the time can polarize them out and what is left, fix in PS. Notice how I often shoot at a very low angle? That gets rid of a ton of background clutter and people right off the bat. Shooting with a wide angle allows me to get pretty close and in essence makes it easier to get the shot because it is harder for people to get in front of me and the car blocks others even more. I also look around the remote areas of the show where cars don't usually have as much crowd around them. Also critical is to be among the first in and the last to leave - obviously way less people. Say all of the above doesn't work, then I try to get the shot with people, entry tags, other cars, poles, wires, awnings, chairs etc in the place where they are easiest to PS out. I often ask people if it is ok to move their chairs. I clean up a lot of things in pictures that cannot be moved, so the less there is of those obstacles in the first place, the better. LSRU has a lot of power and lighting poles and wires which I spend a lot of time removing. I often fix lawns and asphalt to make them look better and more uniform. I try to PS things out as a last resort, but I still do it quite a bit. Sometimes try to make people an artistic element and it will work. That was a long winded answer, but hopefully it helps. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions or need clarification on this one.

[​IMG]

28. Excellent pictures, I appreciate your explanations of how you do it. I will never be a real photographer, but I can always improve based on pro tips.

29. Great Pics again Dan

30. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Your work reminds me of the old View Finder images. Cool.