Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone cut coil springs on Caddys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevychopper, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Chevychopper

Chevychopper
    from Smyrna, DE

Workin on a 1964 Caddy Convertible and want to cut the springs to drop approx 3". Has anyone dropped a caddy this way? I realize you can buy dropped springs but on a shoe string budget, need to save coin for the cool stuff.

thanks.

2. 5559

from tn

never done a cad -but have done a lot of 60s gm trucks . Cut the front coils one coil at a time until you get the right amount of drop. Dont know about the rear of a caddy ,but if its got rear coils you should be able to use coils out of a smaller gm product (i use coils from 80s models monte carlos or celebritys on my trucks) check to see if the rear coils have close to the same taper- if so then its a bolt in

3. HotRodAV8

HotRodAV8
    from Seattle Wa

cut too many coils on my 62 cad. replaced the springs with some used big block 70 camaro springs. got the look i was after and it rode great.

4. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

I have a OT '70 caddy coupe de-ville, I used '64 Impala front coil springs on the front of mine--cut one ring off--made the car sit just right and it rides GREAT. Lowed the front about 4 inches. Hope this helps....Ray...

5. Chevychopper

Chevychopper
    from Smyrna, DE

Great information. I know the rear have the tapers on them. As fate would have it, i have a set of 64 impala springs. May try them on the front. What did you do for the rear ray?

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had cut coils on my '65. Rode great and sat really low.
    [​IMG]

7. Chevychopper

Chevychopper
    from Smyrna, DE

Very cool. Did you also cut the coils in the back?

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yep. Was lowered when I got it. It had some steel bar stock-turned-spring retainers that bolted to the lower arms. Basically they held the rear springs frim to the control arms so they didn't fall out.

9. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I cut two and a half coils out of my 52 Olds and it's just right. Lowering blocks on the back, though.
    Tom

10. I cut 2 off my '64 Caddy many years ago and it was just right. I left the rear as is since they were pretty sagged-out already. I forget if the ends of the springs have a registration on both ends, they may be flat at the top. To be safe, use a straight edge or square so you take exactly a full coil off.

I usually take 1 coil out, reassemble it enough so I can take it off the jack, give it a few bounces and eyeball it. Then take another whack at it if I want it lower.

Bob

11. texasville64

texasville64
    from texas

I have a 64 coupe and I cut one coil off each spring all the way around. I also ground down the last coil to give it the same taper as factory and used a torch to flatten the coil so the spring would sit the same as factory. Basically the spring looks factory just one coil shorter.

12. Chevychopper

Chevychopper
    from Smyrna, DE

Thanks Texas, how much do you think the 1 coil dropped it? I'm going to try 1 coil first and see how it lays... then work from there.