Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any self-employed, home based business people out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLATROCKER, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

Lots of things other than the cars to slow you down, it takes a team . Iv been thinking of making the move myself, Dam day job gets in the way of everything ! I got plenty of cars to get started on and a dam good body artist,, mabee we should talk. Ed

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Paint and body work isn't something that is usually home-based. The noises and chemicals tend to upset neighbors and the local government.

There are enough TV shows about flipping (yes they're scripted, but still) to show you how risky it is.

My buddy has a small (three employee) body shop and he only does insurance work. He won't even work on his friend's cars. The reasons? Getting paid and customer relations. It's a lot easier to satisfy a regular car owner whose insurance company is paying compared to a "car guy" who is paying out of pocket for a hobby car.

3. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

Be prepared to work on anything even non automative related, to keep the cash rolling in. Repainting cast iron park benches, BBQ"s, tractor , truck or restored car and easy late model car repairs or touch up's.

Don't give up your day job, in my case another self employed trade.

4. This is how I am getting started. And the work is local- I've been trying to foster internet/ interstate/ intl. business for 4-5 years & might as well push shit up hill if you have no personal contact.

5. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I can relate to everything that has been said so far,I opened my own shop about 12 years ago?,seemed like a good idea at the time,lately the economy has taken a dump.Business isnt what it has been,but i couldnt go to work for someone else again.You better have a spouse that has a good job to help out with the slow periods. Harvey

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm doing exactly what you're thinking of and have been since 12/11. Chicken one day and feathers the next. I answer to the big ugly bastard over the top of my bathroom sink, and trust me, he's an asshole. All this talk of paperwork and such, yeah you better keep track of it. If you are at home, keep it simple. With regard to all the normal commercial "extortion" that plagues a full on shop, you don't really need it. You work as an A R T I S A N. Artisans have just as much right to getting paid as licensed shops do. Pay an atty for a 1/2hr or spend an afternoon in the local library looking up laws. Twice in my many years as a solo act I've exercised my artisan's rights. Back in 08 (side work beyond my regular job at the time) I ended up selling the guy's car for my money and STORAGE FEES. He just vaporized after telling me to fuck off and did not answer my legal notices. I'd dearly love to "go big" again but workers are not a hot commodity right now. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you can imagine. I prefer simple, and so far, so good.

Your work is indeed your calling card. I will likely end up doing just one facet of this stuff as the years go on. Full builds for customers eats all your time and space, and while it makes for decent earnings, other work goes elsewhere. You have to decide that. As far as motivation, it's not a bitch, IT'S A MOTHERFUCKER. It's also lonely. As pussy as that sounds, do it for a time and you'll see what I mean. Get a dog that likes the shop. It helps. All of your personal home-type duties get in the way too. Soon I'll have to make time to cut the fuckin grass again. If you have a small lot, no biggie. If you're cutting all of 1 1/2 acres, well there's 2hrs gone. Also, are you married? Does she work? Does she earn decent dough, enough to keep the bill collectors at bay? There's more, and for all the negatives I wouldn't have it any other way. I've resigned myself to the fact that nobody is willing to work like I expect and employees are simply NOT an option. 3 prospects didn't even have the courtesy to answer, one of which didn't even bother to call when he decided not to show at all and I know him quite well. Fuck em all. I do have a dear friend who comes 2 nights a week for 4hrs and I pay him well. He gets paid when I do so it's a no-brainer. Flipping cars and parts is very addictive. If you have customer obligations it'll set you back time wise once in a while so the rewards have to be worth it. Does this help?

7. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Do your market research.
    Figure out what your expenses will be. Every expense, not just shop rent. Phone,internet,accounting, advertising, business licenses,insurance on your shop, tools, liability insurance. Workers comp if you have employees. Health, disability, life insurance for yourself. Maintenance on your shop. Office supplies.
    Talk to someone that's already in that business about expenses. Walk through their shop and office and really look at where they're spending money.
    Talk to your insurance agent.
    Talk to your lawyer.
    Talk to your accountant.
    Write a detailed business plan.
    Realize that much of your time will be spent in the office not in the shop.
    Money is made in the office and lost in the shop.
    Realize right now that you'll be working 12 hours a day seven days a week at a minimum.
    Talk to your banker.
    If the numbers work out go for it!

8. bobscogin

bobscogin

I look at it the other way. You only live once. Don't screw it up by trying to make what you really enjoy, something you have to depend on to pay your bills.

Bob

9. Let me add this: NEVER , EVER take on a partner...

and
    Friends should be kept as Friends... Business should be kept as Business !!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  10. Some great body men, and mechanics have started in business, (believing they soley are the reason for their employers success) therefore why not set out on their own, and reap all of the rewards..yet have failed.
    The truth is the employees do make or break a business, but without the business experience/knowledge side of it, the business will still fail.
    There are many great craftsman, not so many great businessmen...and they rarely are the same person.
    Recognize your ability, as well as your inabilities.
    Good luck, there are success stories out there, hopefully you will add to that number.

11. I've been running a part-time machine shop business out of my garage for 25 years. 100% legit, registered, I do a tax return for the business every year.

Sometimes the hours get crazy, but when the work is there and money i$ to be made, I do it.

I have zero problems with the neighbors even though steel supply trucks have showed up with 40' bars to unload in my driveway. The car business is another story, hard to stay under the radar with that.

I know someone who was whacked with a big fine after repeated warnings from the local town code enforcement. That's the biggest problem you might have. Your homeowner's insurance may need a rider to cover yourself in case you burn the place down.

Bob

12. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

ya built 3200sf shop in (back yard) and we do high end metal work, people behind me dont like my yoder, but we dont use it all day lol

13. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I'm in my 28'th year. I started with $2000 and a $30,000 mortgage on a old house and a 2 car garage. All I had was a Bridgeport and a small lathe.
    It's all out there for the taking, you just have to have the guts to take the chance and the drive to give it everything you got.
    It is the only way you will ever control your own destiny. JC

14. Sin7

Sin7
    from Wylie TX

Flatrocker,

I was you exactly 15 months ago. It took me 4 months to make the necessary changes to start my own business. My wife and I sat down for weeks crunching numbers, making changes in our spending habits, selling off our car notes and buying a cash cars. We were finally able to bring down our monthly expenses low enough so that her Nurse salary could pay the bills. I've now been self employed for 11 months working out of my 2 car garage...AND taking care of my 3 year old son. It's been the hardest decision ever, but it made it that much easier having a wife that supports it. I have to be careful though and make sure my wife and 3 year old get the same amount of attention. I've seen friends go into business and they're never home. Families fall apart within that first year. Families that have been together for 10+ years.

It's funny but the custom work doesn't pay the bills for a start up business. It's the brake jobs, oil changes, tune ups and all the small jobs that do. At least this has been the case for me.

15. forty7ford

forty7ford
    from Iowa

The only ship that doesn't float is a partnership.

16. carmuts

carmuts

I tried the self-employed thing about 10 years ago, still somewhat self-employed since. Things went great at first, but after about 8 months things hit a slow spell. I had not really planned on things slowing the way they did and did not set back much for a rainy day so to speak. I re-entered the employed by other job market mainly for abit more stability. I still do the same thing more as a side income, but don't rely on it for day to day existance.

During the time I was self-employed I worked 15+ hrs a day 7 days a week. Be prepared to set back for a rainy day intil you are firmly established. Keep every receipt and know what you can write off on taxes. Travel expenses even to get supplies, any advertizing and supplies in general all can be written off. Keep close track as the little trips add up over time and with taxes being about 30% of our actual profit every dollar counts.Rod

17. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I'm with the no partner crowd.
    Also, sub contract work from other shops can help you through the slow times but don't get too dependent on it.

18. I was offered a partnership in a machine shop many years ago. The buy-in was good, but he wanted to draw up a contract with shit in it like not playing around with each other's wives... my wife is foxy, his was butt-ugly.

I get a ton of subcontract work and I love it. Some are repeat jobs and I have fixtures or vise jaws cut for them. I also take in deburring, which is pure gravy for me. I get TOO much custom boat work from time to time, good $$$ in it, just not looking to get insanely busy right now.

Bob

19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Seems like under those circumstances you would have WANTED that clause! :rolleyes:

20. Yes, since I was a kid....for the harsh reality of business ownership see my website. It's gonna hurt before it feels good.

21. FLATROCKER

FLATROCKER
    from nw ohio

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have worked in bodyshops and car dealerships for over 25 years and people have always told me I should go into business myself but never done it but always thinking about it. Always done quick jobs , gas pumps, tractors,metalwork and anything on the side as time allowed. After getting sick about 14 years ago and a pay cut I got a job selling parts and then getting screwed over and another pay cut got another job selling parts . I am lucky to get a job but less money and farther travel and more expenses. My heart is just not in it.
    I am aware of most of what it would involve to go out on my own and doing some research and getting some advice. A few good things I have going is I live out in the country with my closest neighbor is over 1/2 mile away and any others a mile or more. I also have a 50' x 75' steel building on 2 1/2 acres and is separated from my home . Have most tools and equipment I need and would be having any paint work done at my friends shop. Definitely don't want full on restoration jobs as I have been there before and just cant be done in a timely matter. Definately need to do research and crunch the numbers but keep the job I have for now.

22. Yeah, I may have gone for it, buy my whang has the final say...

Bob

23. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

There is always space for perfection! If your work is good it will call in more work, specially if priced right. Best way to make some decent money is to find something that has limited availability (niche) how will your work differentiate from the others in your area?
    Just a thought

24. Efosa

Efosa
    from Italy

Hello mate, I see you are ready for the best part of your life. You can find a few useful tips here: www.jeno5.com
    To your success!!
    Efosa

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're already ahead of the curve. In the country, no neighbors, your home. Seriously, read up on artisan's rights. When you're at home your worst problem is your homeowner's ins coverage. Make sure you don't get the singlefinger salute from them if something happened. And whatever you do, don't use a wood stove for heat. Here in MI, no coverage for fire. At home is way easier than some make it for themselves. I do paperwork every Monday to catch up, then hit the shop. I can't complain, 16mo steady, so far so good. Yes, there's been a few days of "feathers", but the alternative sucks as you seem to know already.

26. F&J

F&J

define sucess

define happiness

and finally, an old qoute I read years ago: "most men lead their lives in quiet desperation"

hopefully, a few people will get what I wrote. maybe not

27. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Wouldn't have it any other way! It's nice to walk out the back door and go to work every day. There is always an up side and a down side to everything in life. Go for it!!!

28. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This needs to be Corrected!

Never take on a partner permanently!
    I have over the years taken on many partners in different proposals.

Each time there should be a point of entry and a point of EXIT. once the deal/arrangement is finalized they can either move -on or we look for the next opportunity.
    I would rather contribute to the wellbeing of friends and colleagues than be ass-raped by a bank once they get a strong hold on you.

The partner's partner is usually more of a problem.
    I've had a few of their wives phone me and bitch to me!
    I just shelter under our privacy laws. :D[ they're not my problem ]

29. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Do good work,Treat people right,be an Honest MAN,and work will come to you,F--- em and you will be home less and drive work away:D

30. Remind me NEVER to buy anything from you