Register now to get rid of these ads!

300 hp 327 with 2bbl intake? WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redlineracer42, Apr 9, 2013.

1. bobscogin

bobscogin

1963 engine code for 300 hp 327 was RB for 3 and 4 speed, SB for Powerglide, SG for Powerglide with AC. Check the block numbers.

Bob

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

The rib on the front right of the block pointed out by the circle makes it a 283 or 327. You'll have to click on the pic to get it to open up large enough to see it. Casting numbers on the rear of the block will tell the story.

Attached Files:

3. I not so GM oriented, but an alternator in 1963??

Thought me: generator.

Cosmo

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I didn't catch that :eek:. Now I can't remember small pad, large pad, early or late :mad:

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Yes, alternator in 63 but I think it was a extra cost option because my Dad bought a 63 SS Impala from a friend at work (original owner) for 150 dollars in 1974 and it had a generator but yet alternators were available.

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It's a long shot, but it could be that the factory ran out of 4 bbl intakes when the engine was first assembled, and a 2 bbl was substituted on a 327, or the factory used 327 heads on a 283, for a similiar reason.

The parents of a friend of ordered a new Cutlass, in the 1970's that was supposed to have a 350 Olds engine in it. It arrived with a 455, but had 350 decals on the engine.

The original builder of the 283, (built in 1968), in my 55 Chevy told me that the heads that were used were removed from a 1966 300 hp 327. However, they ended up being 2.02 camel humps

7. Vendome

Vendome

That, cracks me up.

8. Vendome

Vendome

Dang it, all this speculation. You have got to run the numbers and let us know!

9. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Hmm?? From reading the ads on
    Epay, Kijiji and the trader papers,
    etc, 'finned 'aluminum valve covers'
    or not, I thought ALL small block
    Chevies were "Corvette" engines!!!:D
    I do know for an absolute fact from
    reading those ads too, that all early
    hemi engines...even little 241 Dodges
    and 271 DeSotos are all really 392's!!!:eek::D

Mart3406 ("Who knows that if
    you see it in an ad or read it
    anywhere on the internet, that
    it absolutely must be true
    ":D)
    =================

10. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

in 63-64 SS meant nothing more than engine turned trim and bucket seats so it could have came with any engine. We restored an original '61 SS bubble top with the numbers matching inline 6 one time. Anything is possible.

11. SimonSez

SimonSez

Does this car have any Canadian history?

I have seen some Canadian 283 heads that have double-humps but are low performance heads with 1.7 valves.

I can't remember the casting numbers for them but they aren't any of the typical fuellie head numbers.

12. Not all camel hump head are 202s they came with 194s valves to

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

it has 283 emblems on the front fenders...

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Someone tried to make a 327 look like a lo-po 283; "you just got beat by a 2 barrel, 283". Like that sneaky trick has't been tried before. Or maybe someone just replaced the Power Packs with camel humps with a rebuild/valve job. Butch/56 sedandelivery.

15. the year 1964 - the place Fair Deal Auto (started in 1958) - Dallas....a guy brings in a four barrel intake/carb and says....need better gas mileage - you got a two barrel intake and carb ?

yes....that's $25 bucks and your old intake/carb....

guy walks in the same day - asks - you gots a four barrel intake and carb for a 283 ?

yes...got one for $45....that was the day Don will say he bought into his father-in-law's old junk yard....I worked for both of them thru the years....

16. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one of these canadian 283s with camel humps, 2bbl carb, it had 64cc chambers and 1.50-1.94" valves, and the heads had CANADA cast next to the numbers. No accessory holes either. I pulled the engine from a 58 biscayne.
    My guess is it is just a nice 283 in a beautiful Stock Impala...

17. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------
    Hmm?? Maybe he figured that along
    with the 2-bbl carb, the valve covers,
    also being from the smaller, less
    powerful 283 engine, that they'd kelp
    improve the mileage a bit too!!!:eek::D:D

Speaking of valve cover swaps too..
    Back in my high schools days, circa
    1971 or so, a buddy and I replaced
    the worn out 261 six-banger in his
    Canadian '61 Pontiac Strato Chief
    4-door sedan with a fairly radical,
    hopped-up 283 that we built with as
    many used, scrounged, cast-off and
    cobbled up "speed parts" as we get
    our severely budget-limited hand on
    back then. . One day while scrounging
    for neat low-buck stuff in a boneyard
    we came across a '66 Studebaker with
    the factory "McKinnon" - (nee Chevy) -
    283. Along with the transistor ignition
    package from the Stude, we also
    grabbed the bright yellow, factory-painted
    valve covers with a pair of still very
    nicely intact "Studebaker 283
    Thunderbolt
    " decals on them, so that,
    just for the sake of weirdness :)D) we
    could tell people that we'd put a
    Studebaker engine in the Pontiac! :eek::D

Mart3406
    ==================

18. 62 last year of generator.

19. I had a 283, 220HP that had a 4 barrol Rochester with duel exhaust, a 327 300 HP, it had an AFB carb and the 350HP I had, a Holley. The guy might have changed the intake if its a true 300HP block.

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

As has already been stated.....get the stamping number from the passenger side front fo the block. Anything else is worthless speculation. The exhaust manifolds look like standard 2 inch outlets, not the 2 1/2 inchers that the 300 hp engines used. It's been fifty years....that engine could be made out of six different small blocks by now. I'm old enough to remember the first big oil crisis in '73-'74, and lots of people were removing 4 bbl. setups, replacing them with a 2 bbl. and thinking it would get them better mileage (which it almost never did, but some people insisted upon it anyway).

21. Did you get the block numbers off the rear yet and also off the pad? this is what is needed to figure out what the motor is.

the longer pads are early...the shorter front pad are newer blocks, think they start mid 70s or so.

22. Lots of things can change over the years. I've taken off Q-Jets and replaced them with a 2GC before (gas crunch and it did get better mileage). The OG valve covers may have had bent flanges and leaked, replaced with 283 covers that were handy.

I've never seen a camel-hump 283 before, but as it goes with being married 29 years, I'm used to being wrong.

Bob

23. I repainted an original one owner '63 SS years ago that belonged to my insurace agent, it had a 283/PG combo. It had double hump heads from the factory with a Rochester 2g two barrel set up. The car also had an externally regulated alternator as did my wife's '63 four door hardtop.

24. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

So much can happen over the years you ever know what it has in it. My guess is its a replacement engine from a local rebuilder that was finished off with an intake and valve covers that had been lying around....

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. Do these engine numbers tell us anything? FO627DE

Attached Files:

26. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Whoever said that they restored a 61 SS with a 6 Cylinder is full of BS, the 348/409 Was a mandatory option in 61 for the SS,

they never made a 6cylinder SS in 61.

BigDogSS likes this.
  27. Larry T

Larry T

DE 1958 283 Powrglid, air susp - - - full size/Malibu
    DE 1962 283 Powerglide, a/c - 195 - A X
    DE 1968 307 man trans., 4 spd - 200 2 A F X

28. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

There were some 1957 283s with small double humps.They also had the staggered valve cover pattern.

29. I've seen stranger than that. My dad bought a 63 Impala 4 door with a 409 from the old lady who's husband bought it new. Said they ordered it with the big motor to pull a horse trailer. Paperwork confirmed

A couple years later dad bought a 69 malibu plane-jane 4 door sedan with a factory 396. Supposedly a former AZ highway patrol car. Paperwork build sheet and protecto plate confirmed that one too. It did have the big block hood though.

30. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

The "Camel Hump" heads were first put on the Corvette 283s in 1961. In 1962 the 327 came out and they had them unless it was a 250 hp engine.