Register now to get rid of these ads!

Autolite 4100 running extremely rich

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingdesgn, Dec 30, 2010.

1. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

I just rebuilt my Autolite 4100 and now it running extremely rich (fat). Anyone have any suggestions on how to lean it up a bit? It sounds like it's missing. Checked spark plug wire placement and all seems to be in the correct order. This is my first restore. Thanks!!

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Recheck float level.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

you might check for a vacuum leak also.........

4. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

hey scrap....how should i check for vacuum leak...any special way of doing that? thanks!

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

Check the power valve for damaged diaphragm.

Bob

6. Correct spec jets?

7. mow too much

mow too much

Recheck float level.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Check the power valve for damaged diaphragm.

8. grapp

grapp

what they said, recheck float and make sure needle/seat combo is working as it should.

9. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

There is no power valve on an Autolite carb. Also, a vacuum leak would make it run lean...Re-check the float level...

10. 1952henry

1952henry

True that

11. grapp

grapp

12. 1952henry

1952henry

13. burnout2614

burnout2614

Say no to teflon tape on fuel threads!!!!!! peace

14. rallisracing

rallisracing

4100s (and the 2100 two bbls) have what Ford called an economizer valve..It shut off fuel at higher vaccuum...Holley called them a power valve..same thing, and if the diaphragm is blown, it will flood just like a Holley does when the power valve is blown, usually resulting from a backfire...

15. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Is it dumping fuel down the venturies at idle? (check it by looking down the carb with engine running)

Is it rich at all speeds or RPM?

16. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

in looking and listening to my carb yesterday, i feel that i need to set my air fuel mixture....still running a little rich. anyone have any advice for tuning these?

17. If you are SURE everything is working correctly, and no fuel is dripping down inside the carb at idle, set the idle mixture by screwing the idle jets down until they stop (DON'T tighten them), and back them out 1 1/2 turns. Start the car and adjust the idle speed to about 650 rpm. It should idle nice and smooth. If not, you have a problem somewhere.

If it idles ok, open each idle screw 1/2 turn and watch (or listen to) the engine speed. If it goes up, reset the rpm to 650 and try again. At some point, the next 1/2 turn on the idle screws won't cause any increase on speed. Back them in 1/2 turn and you're done. If you get out past 3 turns and it's still picking up, you've got a vacuum leak somewhere.

(Keep in mind this is only adjusting the idle mixture. If the engine is running rich at higher rpm, you need to re-jet. And again, ALL of this depends on the carb working correctly in the first place.)

18. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

When I screw in the air / fuel mixture screws, the idle goes up and when I back them out, the idle goes down. Is this correct?

19. I would slap a vacuum gauge on it and go with the highest vacuum reading.

Bob

20. neema14

neema14
    from Michigan

So I have the same problem, runs fat un-burnt fuel smell, looking down carb I see fuel leaking from the right front vetury. I have cleaned every port on carb, blew carb cleaner in every port, slot, hole. Replaced power valve, gasket sets, checked float levels, took top of carb off off and run car, still gas flows out ventury. Checked for vacuum leaks and all checks out Help me.

21. neema14

neema14
    from Michigan

Idle adjustment screws do not effect idle, either