Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 rambler custom 600

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54rat210, Mar 25, 2013.

1. suedestude

suedestude

Why do you care what other people think? The Harley and the Rambler are cool.Do what you want.

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

$4,800 would be about the going rate for a solid, running 4-door Rambler around here. I'm sure in rust-free climes that number is dramatically different.

Downsides to the Rambler is going to be parts availability (they're out there, but they're not Chevy / Ford obtainable) and ability to re-sell when / if you tire of it.

The father of a high-school friend had a '65 Rambler Classic ragtop and I loved it. It was a 6-cyl / auto car, but would have really been neat with a 401 V8 and a 4-speed. My mom has a '73 Javelin with a hot 360 and it's a blast.

3. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Wow. That sounds like a real bargain. I wish I could find a deal like that up here. Damn.

4. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

that drivers ed story reminds of the one about the school that was so small they had to use the same car for drivers ed that they used for sex ed---as for the trade you better get some mustard with that nash cause you will end up eating it...

5. Squablow

Squablow

I've had a couple of Ramblers of that era. They're neat, in the way that any old car that's a driver is neat, I wouldn't crap on anyone for driving one. Certainly not a hot rod, but could be lowered and some wheels put on it for a very mild custom, nothing wrong with that.

As for the trade, I have to agree that $4800 is really high for a 4 door version, even if it's flawless mint, but on the other hand, Sportsters are really common and somewhat hard to sell. I agree with whoever said that you should be getting $1500 to boot to make this deal happen.

If you sold your Harley for $4K cash, think of what other old cars you could buy with it.

6. uc4me

uc4me

I dig the rambler but I'd say its worth $3000-$3500 max

7. Rogueman

Rogueman

I am Rogueman because I own a 68 Rambler Rogue. It's a 2door hardtop. My father bought the car new in Oregon. I plan to keep it and give it to my grandson. Make a 3 generation car out of it.
    My father loved them. He had many of them.

8. estes

estes

I have a '63 wagon and I think it's badass. I think that cars worth around $3500-4k. The grills are a one year only piece, hard to come by in good condition.

9. farna

farna

The price on the Rambler is a little steep -- $4650 is top dollar for a #2 condition car (#2 Very Good: An extremely presentable vehicle showing minimal wear, or a well restored vehicle. Runs and drives smooth and tight. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. ). A #3 car (#3 Good: Presentable inside and out with some signs of wear. Not detailed but very clean. Body should be straight and solid with no apparent rust and absolutely no rust-through anywhere. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or checking or other imperfections. Runs and drives well. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is) is priced at $2225. That's assuming it's a top of the line 770 model. Add 5% for the V-8, 10% for AC, deduct 5% for a manual trans.

Now I'll be the first to say that the old car price guides undervalue Ramblers. They get their pricing info from auctions and other public sales, and track a percentage rise (or fall) each year. Few Ramblers sell that way, most are private sales. Even if you figure on adding 25-30% to the price guide value of that car you're still falling short of $4800. It's at least a #3 from the photos, but not a #2 car. Maybe between the two -- average of $2225 and $4650 is $3437[SIZE=2].50, + 30% (tops!) is $4468.75.

[SIZE=2]Well, at [SIZE=2]~$4500 tops you're not too far from $4800[SIZE=2]. If you figure the bik[SIZE=2]e is wor[SIZE=2]th about that much [SIZE=2]it's still a fair trade. Not a GREAT trade, but FAIR.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

10. I say go for it. I am a fan of oddball cars. I thkink that Rambler could look really cool as a mild 60's custom. And, I personally like 4 doors since I have 3 kids and a wife to haul around with me.

11. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

where's Farna to chime in! Rambler!!! handling can be improved!

12. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

oh didn't see second page: WHAT FARNA said

13. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

If it has power steering stay away from it. The power steering setup is just aweful and only works when everything is perfect. It uses the hydraulic ram as the main link between the two wheels, anything starts wearing out with that ram and you get horrible wheel shudder at speed. All of the parts are rare, hard to find, cost twice or four times more than ford or chevy, or they aren't made anymore.

14. studemisfit

studemisfit

I'm not a Harley guy but I like sportsters, light by hd standards and good power to weight for cruising back roads. They hold their value but are plentyiful. Rambler prices have been creeping up as it seems all old car prices have. Their unique, simple, and parts are still available. If you like it, and it seems a fair trade go for it. Can find a sportster any day on C-list, ramblers not so much.

15. pdq67

pdq67

Why don't you hold out for a an AMC Hurst SC Scrambler??

390"/4-speed, posi- in a Rambler body..

pdq67

16. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

It is in my book

17. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

My 62 fairlane (the one in my avatar) always got laughed at. Who cares? There a lot of cars I hate on here like T-buckets.. But at the end of the day.... Opinions are like booty holes. We all have one and some stink.

18. I did indeed!

I'm glad to see younger guys preserve any older car and I definitely think you should build whatever you want, however you want.

It's a little hard for some of us older guys. I know when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, it didn't get much more un-cool than a 4 door Rambler. It was definitely considered a grandma's car.

That being said, as long as you think it's cool, then go for it. It is nice to see something a little different. While not a traditional hot rod by any means, it would be interesting to see granny's Rambler turned into a fire breathing street machine. Do it!

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

To build on what you said, those price guides assume a willing buyer and a willing seller. If you were looking for a Rambler, I think you have to expect to pay more unless you're extremely patient. If you are selling a Rambler, I think you have to expect to get less unless you are extremely patient.

20. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i'm with hrp it is over priced, that is coming from a amc man.

21. n847

n847

Id say do it...but I dig 63 & 64 ramblers! Oh and I hate modern sportsters...and souped up imports so what the fuck do I know?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

22. 54rat210

54rat210

I don't buy America made cars past 1990. After that they lost all style, credability and reliability. As far as the new sportys. Compaired to the older sportys its like riding on a Cadillac. A pre 90's Cadillac that is. But the rigid frame sportys bobbed out are sick. I'm going to speak with the owner again today. I had to locate my title which is why we were unable to make a deal.

23. 54rat210

54rat210

Well i decided not to get the rambler. Looks as if it had been sitting awhile. Had no fluid in the tranny and no oil in the engine. went for a ride and fell like the engine lost some of its pep. Needed some suspension work. It needed a few thousand dollars of work overall. I was nervous also cause if i needed a new tranny should I be able to find one? But over all it was a great car to restore. Needed very little body work. The overall car was solid. Body was in great condition. Needed some paint. It was overall a really cool car. I was looking to trade for a runner but it needs more attention than I can give it having 2 other projects and another baby on the way.

24. IIRC the trans is a Borg-Warner clone of an FMX or a Ford-O-Matic, depending on the year. They didn't call 'em All Makes Combined for nothing.

Which, for the guy who commented on Rambler being under-rated and going out of business, Ramblers were made by AMC - who lasted until 1988 when bought by Chrysler, who still makes Jeeps....