Register now to get rid of these ads!

Autolite 4100 secondary venturies dripping while running

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingdesgn, Apr 7, 2013.

1. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

Need some guidance here ... I've adjusted my floats on this carb and also the air and fuel mixtures and still the secondary venturies are still dripping into the carb while at idle. I'm running out of ideas .... anyone have an idea? To be more detailed, it only seems to be one secondary venturie doing it .... not both.

Thanks!

2. F&J

F&J

Is it possible that you have air flow in that one secondary? I know that would be a longshot, but if there was a way to check flow with a spray can of something?

Normally it takes quite a bit of flow to draw gas up there, so i would think the idle would be messed up.

3. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

There is an anti-siphon air bleed for the secondary main fuel circuit, perhaps it's blocked?

[​IMG]

Here is the manual link.

4. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

the weird thing is that the idle is nice and smooth. i think you have a point though.

5. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

i'll get some carb cleaner and make sure the anti-siphon air bleed for the secondary main fuel circuit isn't clogged. thanks for the help. I'l let ya'll know what happens

6. Some good advice above. :D As also mentioned make sure that the secondary throttle blades are FULLY CLOSED at idle. There may be a screw or linkage rod to make this adjustment. And make sure that there isn't a gasket, cable, hose or wiring somewhere under the hood that's binding against some linkage somewhere. Has it got a good strong throttle return sping too? :confused:

7. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

THe throttle return spring could be a little stronger. I'll check into that as well.

8. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Like Claymart mentioned make sure the secondarys close completely. Mine dripped a bit when I got it back on my 57. You might consider lowering the float level on the rear bowl too. I know on 94's I've run on my 3X2 set-ups I have had to lower the floats to keep them from dripping.

9. oj

oj

If it is at idle (say 800ish rpm) and fuel is dripping from the secondaries the only way that that can happen is the float is too high.

10. Did these carbs have any kind of bowl venting that might need adjustment? :confused:

11. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

I think this supports the anti-siphon theory, as there would be one for each venturi and it's there specifically to prevent fuel siphoning out the nozzle.

[​IMG]

Of course all the other advice is good, especially that the secondarys close fully.

Hoop

12. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

Hoop, I'm willing to bet this is the answer as well. I checked to see if my secondary throttle was closed all the way and indeed it is.

13. Tooooo high of fuel pressure. Over coming the needle and seat

14. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

Hoop, that was indeed the issue. Thanks for the help!

Now if I could keep this ol' gal burning to rich!

15. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

90 Pct time it's the power valve leaking. The diaphragm splits and it sucks fuel through the split, plus the power valve will be in rich position..

[​IMG]

16. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Jets for 65 Applications

aa 352 ac 390

[​IMG]