Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How about a 53 Chevy Hardtop build !!??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leebo!, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Havent done anything glamorous on the 53 lately. Just getting some things ready to start going back together. Shortened the steering column, added new bearings, and notched 1 end for DD style ujoints.

[​IMG]

Finished patching my floorboards by replacing the pass toe board, and filling in uneccesary holes in the firewall. After this, I went ahead and KBS coated everything from uder the dash to my backseat area. Really love the KBS coating, but its soooo glossy it doesnt photograph well. No biggie, as it will be covered.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

I have been told the bad thing about using a rear steer subframe is you run into clearance/cramping issues when trying to connect gear box to column, since the gear box is so close to the firewall. If i was going with a floor shift, i could have cut and moved the holes in firewall and dash over an inch to line up properly. Since I am wanting to keep the stock style column shift, it required me to use a large 3 pc ujoint.To get around this, i thought I would make a "blister" that allowed a little more clearance for the ujoint and steering column to coexist. I started by cuttig the top of an oxy tank lid as my dish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Realized the shifter linkage stays pretty tight to the column, so I notched and sleeved the blister with a piece of tubing.

[​IMG]

Got her all fitting and bolted in, and lo and behold i have bind free steering again!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. edisonfire

edisonfire

looking good, subscribed!

5. Sin7

Sin7
    from Wylie TX

Finally found your thread Lee. It was good meeting you man. Build thread is looking good.

6. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

I'm getting ready to finish up on mine. I lack shock mounts and my panhard...so I was checking out builds. I really like how you made a bolt on mount for the panhard bar. I was looking at mine this weekend and was thinking of welding a plate and coming down in the same location on the left rail. I will steal the bolt on idea instead. Thanks!

7. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Thanks for the compliment Suicide D. Like I had said, I stole a lot of ideas from you after our messages back and forth.

My first idea was to mount the panhard to the inner framerails. After mocking it up, it seemed to have to alter the side to side travel of the axle too much. Im sure it had something to do with the pivot location. I found some heavy 3/8 or so angle iron to make this. I think it should work good. Will let you know here in another week or so!

8. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Been doing some bland stuff like brake and fuel lines. I did get sick of looking at that worn green dash, so I decided I HAD to change it. Soooo, I bought some ROth Rattlebomb flake in the warm beer color, and went to town. Used pretty much spray can stuff, than used some real clear over it when done. I will push it out in the sun and get some devent pics when I get my dash wired and everything re installed.

[​IMG]

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Subscribed Leebo!!! Nice work, keep that gal around, looks like she motorvates you in the garage!! :D

10. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Got the front sheet metal thrown on and semi-lined up the best I could by myself. had to make a new front mount to work with the nova subframe. Threw in the radiator and master cylinder. Trying to get stuff bolted up for real now.

So close, yet soooo far!

[​IMG]

11. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

looking good. Where did you get the radiator? I have 2 stock ones that I am going to run 1 of I think in my 51. I want an aluminum for the 54.

12. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

^^^ Love this shot. Motivation. Build is coming along nicely and to have a woman helping out in the garage is quite a rare blessing :)

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

Subscribing to this excellent thread, your work is coming along very nicely. Putting a two link set for those who need it who are following your thread. :D

CRUISER :cool:

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Cruiser-

Like i have said before, glad I worked through and got the 2 link working, but dont think I would do it again. I might consider it if we build a truck for my boy though.

Thanks for the compliments!

15. bobafet1

bobafet1

Cruiser,

which 2-link setup is used in the last pic?

16. Cruiser

Cruiser

bobafet1

I don't know what brand the two link is from, I only have the pictures.

CRUISER:cool:

17. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

18. englands54

englands54

What a great thread, The car looks awesome. Great work..Keep it up..

19. ScuubaSteeve

ScuubaSteeve
    from Tennessee

I'm building a 54 210. Would you mind helping me out with installing the gambino notch. What measurements do you have from the end of the frame to the notch.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Its been a crazy summer, not getting near as much work done as I would hope.

I did get it running, and took it for its first real drive this past weekend. Drove it 45 minutes into Tulsa for our car club meeting. Did pretty good, other than losing air in the front driver side bag, due to an airline coming loose and getting rubbed through by the tire. My bros from the CC came to my rescue, and I was rolling again within the hour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

With my shakedown run fairly successful, I have decided I am going to try and make It to the HAMB Drags in this. Still have some kinks to work out, but hoping to make it there safely!

[​IMG]

22. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

ScubaSteve-

I crawled under there with a tape measure while working on it last night. I ran the tape from the back edge of the notch/weld bead to the very back lip of the frame and came up with 31 inches. The tape was in a straight line, and didn't allow for the curve of the frame.

Here is the pic, PM me is you have any questions.

[​IMG]

23. thats the purple pig 49 chev from rod and custom magazine, google that and youll be able to find the whole write up, theirs is waltons engine and trans crossmember but home made the rest with 60s truck arms same as leebo, and myself

their goal was to use as much bolt on as they could for DIY convenience.. I copied it myself except the Walton's gear was too much landed here in NZ so I made it all, including the swing arms... Also I used coil overs where they put in airbags because I'm not a fan of airbags,.. I mean, the looks cool but it's a lot of money for me to look cool parked, ya still gotta have it at ride height to drive so I set mine up to be 100mm off the ground max with coil overs and it's low enough for me and clears everything, with the angle of the coil overs and 700lb springs it rides real nice too! Nice and stiff and not too bouncy to bottom out..it's cool on these how the body hangs down to the bottom of the chassis so it looks a lot lower than it is unlike a 66 impala for example... I didn't use that style notch either I just cut an arch out of the original frame about 3/4 through it directly above the diff if that makes sense and beefed up the sides and put in a bit of 1/4" thick walled pipe to make up the gap, it's low enough for me, didn't have to alter the trans tunnel or wheel wells either.. Or cut out much of the boot floor, just raise the fuel tank.. Front is all 54 chev and made springs not cut coils and it's nice.. But sorry to jack your thread haha this is my stance with the above setup [​IMG]

24. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Not considering it a Hijack 52Chvkiwi, you had some good input, as well as some good reference pics in your album. I wish now I could have gone with a static drop instead of bags, but my roads here in rural Oklahoma are TERRIBLE!

25. tell me about it! I thought nz roads were bad but I just moved to Richmond Virginia and, wow just...wow! Haha

26. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

Congrats on getting the car on the road. I haven't done much on mine this summer...I have barely been on the HAMB either. I need to get my priorities straight.

27. cederholm

cederholm

28. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Well, I'm finally back on this again, getting ready for Lonestar Roundup. I have about a 3 month period at the end of one year/first of next where I travel A LOT doing trade shows. Those are over for now, so I can get back on the fun stuff. For the most part she is mechanically sound, so now I get to start on the "look good" stuff! First on that task is taking care of various rot/rust!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made my own outer lower trunk panel with 2x1 18ga angle run through the shrinker/stretcher
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Looks great, nothing like that first drive.
    Did you take any other pics of the frame after paint?
    Would love to see them. What's the plans for a rear bumper?

Godspeed
    MrC.