Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. mines a static drop i just gotta watch the hard dips but so far no problem rides like a dream

truu.jpg

2. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I've been thinking about doing springs and dropping mine about 3 more inches but wasn't sure. Looks good, and now I'm not as concerned about driving issues hearing from you guys

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Lowrodder that is bitchin dude. id imagine the rear bumper gives you the most trouble with dips. looks like an ironhead sittin next to it ? I envy you man, my plans were to pick up a paughco frame and scrounge up parts for an ironhead build after the trucks done

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

And apache fs, id imagine the roads down in tx are a little flatter than md. We have some SHITTY roads in some areas. I dont think youd have much to worry about, i say go for it!

5. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

No problems whatsoever! Your gonna love it man and your doing a killer job! When I bring my truck in for the repaint soon Im gonna round my bed tops like you did they look great!

6. driving up at a angle it scrapes a bit but thats the price i pay parking lots i avoid speed bumps never tried to take them but why chance it :) the bikes a 68 girder front end rigid frame got it for $1500 ive owned 2 shovels and 2 ironheads love the ironheads light weight fast oh yeah and cheaper

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

What color on the re spray meddler ? And thanks, i stole the idea for the bed rails and battery door from bam, full credit to him

And lowrodder the ironheads are definately the cheapest harley to get into. Shovels and pans catch top dollar now adays

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I may just sand the gauge panel smooth and polish it. The engine turning is a hassle and it wears down quick. I just tried to wipe it down, and it dulled the finish

9. n847

n847

Can you clear it as soon as its finshed to protect it? Theres got to be a way to make it work cause it just looks too bad ass!

10. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Sweet truck my friend. Like the color choice as well.

11. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Dude you nailed it with the stance! It looks so bitchin!

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

N847, i tried the clear and it seemed to work well, but in the end i just cant get the engine turning dialed in like i want. I have the pattern down pat, but i still think my rpm on my drill press is too high causing the burn marks in the metal. I need to think of something here........

And thanks guys, taylor im gonna drop the front a little bit more and ill be runinng a taller tire than the one pictured. Itll sit more level than it does now. the pictures dont show how much rake it really has right now

13. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I used scotch brite discs from my die grinder on my drill press for the panel in my 54. you can get small 1/2 ones and they worked great, they are meant to run at high speed so they dont burn like the craytex. They can though if you stay too long on the aluminum but wiping it down with denatured alchohol cleaned it just fine. Give that a shot. As for the respray Im pretty sure its gonna be a lexus pearl white....but that could change....

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Where do you find the small scotch brites ? Do you have a pic of the panel you did ?

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

16. n847

n847

I thought I've seen dudes do it with wooden dowl rod? Where theres a will theres a way, but I understand sometimes its better to move on to something else before you start wasting time!

17. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Shazam! The truck is really coming together nicely. I think that might be a good heigth for an old geezer like me to be able to step into? :D

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yeah, i have the signals and high beam indicator coming in the mail, so im not gonna mess with it untill there in. I need to get the seat bolted down for good, the hinge pockets fixed and the master cylinder door done

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks red ryder !!!! Lol i cant wait to cruise it !

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Couple shots from up high, my vw is parked outside in one shot. Its dropped on coils. The truck only sits an inch lower right now even tho it looks wayy lower

Attached Files:

21. subscribed took me long enough just figured out how to do it

22. What worked really well for me when engine turning with Cratex sticks was keeping WD-40 on the surface of the metal as kind of a cutting oil, using a fairly light touch and not staying in the same spot too long. About 1-2 seconds per swirl does the trick. No burn that way. Give it a try.

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I tried wd and it still gave me a burn mark, afterwards I completely sanded the panel smooth and ill start from scratch when i get the signals and high beam indicator in, ill give the wd40 another try. Also have a visor on the way

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

Green, I know there have been a lot of threads on this topic, and there are guys on here who do this stuff for a living. If I remember correct, one thread mentioned using a rubber type tip with rouge compound. If you're getting some heat discoloration it means you're cutting too hard or too fast or both.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Im probably gonna try the wood dowel and valve compound next. I think my drill press is just too quick to keep the cratex from burning

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

Can you route the belt to a different set of pulleys to slow it down?

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Its on the slowest setting right now and still too quick

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

Bummer. Doing freehand is going to be tough...you'll need both hands on the dowel to get even pressure and the plate will try to move on you. I wonder if you can somehow underpower the drill press to get the motor to turn slower?

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

We have a router variable speed control thingy but apparently the old single phase motors will burn up with that on it. I dont wanna buy a new motor because i wanna get a newer bigger drill press at some point. This one is fine for the small benchtop stuff i do and id rather leave it alone

30. Prisc5idins

Prisc5idins
    from USA

You wanna see beat go take a look at my uncles 50 gmc!![​IMG]