Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2013 Lonestar Roundup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I was really hoping this would be my year to go, but alas....the trip fell apart as my buddies dropped out. I'm not one for going to these show's alone because I'm a bit of a social mis fit myself and it's hard for me to just walk up and buddy up to a bunch of people I don't know. Maybe next year.:rolleyes:

3. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

My friend Jimmy brought his Merc from Wisconsin...I talked to him briefly yesterday on there trip home, his comments that stuck with me was WOW just WOW. I hope to be able to get away to enjoy it one of these years.

4. Elrod

Elrod

Excellent show pick Ryan! It was great getting to talk with you a midst the whirlwind of mental stimulus. The slip back into reality is a bit sobering, but makes the memories that much sweeter. Till the next one! Cheers!

5. Ryan, Don't be so hard on your social skills. I am not a big crowd person either, but for some reason at almost any Traditional show, I am in HEAVEN!!! I too get to see friends I have not seen in a year or more, meet icons of the Industry, I only dream of meeting. Show my kids what real genuine people and AMERICAN IRON is all about. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to make "Billy" "my 7 yr old" a tag this weekend. It was a high light of his weekend. Its now in his room along with Jay Sweets, "Grandpa's Hot Rod". We sat and read it last night, Tears flowed from my eyes, as I have some of the very memories from that little book. I have been a gear head since before I was born, its in my blood and both of my kids blood as well. Thanks for being a humble down to earth guy with high values on Family and Life. It shows in all that you do. The show was Amazing again this year. Quiet a bit different than it was 10-12 years ago, I admit, but Everyone involved pulled it off again. The few whiners there are out there need to get over it. There were cars, I really didn't care to see, but so what keep walking, with 2000 to choose from, the handful, I was not interested in slipped right by me. Have a great week recuperating from this weeks festivities.

Will

6. fms427

fms427

WOW - Ryan - glad you made it home with the reversed adapters !!

One of my vintage race cars was a Jaguar E-type with wires - after a work session changing front brake caliper, I noticed we'd reversed the adapters. Knew it was coming apart soon for more work, and took it for a shakedown around the neighborhood. Within a couple of blocks the left front wheel left me :eek: !!! So I've become a believer - the directional thing is important !!

7. Unfortunately for me, it has gotten too big. I was there on Friday and got all I could handle. Cancelled my hotel and headed home. There is no one to blame for this, it is as good as a show this big can be. Hopefully, my zeal for The Roundup will return but it will take a few years at least.

8. Nice seeing all the great people of Texas again! Great people, cars and weather.

9. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

This was my first time going to the Round up, and I can say that it was a hell of a time. I didn't get to meet as many people as i hoped, didn't experience Congress or anything but that's my fault, and I still had a blast. I'll be damned if I don't have a car out there next year!

10. Your son likes snow cones more than hearing nitro burners run? Smart kid ya got there boss :). Snow cones be beteer than alot of stuff..............specially on a hot day.

11. Ol 55, I get what you're sayin, I'd've done the same if my pal backed out but as true as The Duke, these seem to be the finest bunch of easy going car show pilgrims you'll ever rub elbows with. This was my first and i didnt know didly but felt right at home.
    Hats off to the Kontinentals for what they've started and folks like Ryan who bring us golden era yay-hoos together. This shows about the best one I've seen that showcases the machines of that era and aint all about the money....

And Ryan, I know what you mean about kids, I spend a lot of car show time looking at all the pink cars cause daddy's princess wants me to! Take care.... Hope your not swamped with people at the tent next time around I'd like to meet ya.

12. No photos? I was so looking forward to your photographic pictorial,,I believe you are among the best at capturing the best of the best. HRP

13. belair

belair

I loved it. One of the best yet. Your words that "the Round Up really needs to be lived and not covered." says it all. So does life, so all you agoraphobics need to get to the Round Up next year as therapy.

14. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

"Trying to find an unoccupied urinal"... Word.

My people freak-out didn't kick in until I went in search of facilities and got a little too tunnel-visioned on the little green rectangle indicating the plastic box was unoccupied... I neglected to note the color or picture on the front and opened the first 'green' one I came too... To be promptly confronted by a screaming woman in mid wipe...
    Felt like every occupant of all 2000 cars was staring at me.

I went back to the wife in shame and said, "Honey, it's time for a beer."

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Great trip, great people, great cars. Hard to explain the overload that occurs in your mind once you step foot in Austin but a week feels like a day and you're picked up by a tornado of awesomeness and before you know it, you're back home thinking "what the hell just happened?".

Some of my favorite people on this Earth were there and that alone is worth the 22 hr drive. The cars/food just add to the whole weekend.

Thanks to all who supported SUGAR CITY SPEED SHOP as well as all the other vendors. I had a great time chatting with y'all while trying to hold down the fort from Hurricane force winds.

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

We had a great time as well, (came home with a ton of shirts)....also picked the black T as our favorite, used it to show the wife what ours is gonna resemble when it's done. Got to see Ray Wylie Hubbard and. Jr. Brown on the same trip too.

17. autobilly

autobilly

I'm noticing lots of very nice T roadsters around in the last year or two, this one's spot-on!
    Looks like LSR lifted the bar again this year.

18. Lakehouse51

Lakehouse51
    from Virginia

Nice pick ! If it would have been a Lincoln Y- block. Great pick! If it is a manual. Fantastic pick! Leave price here-----.

19. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Great choice... Amazing car. The Riv looked great with the new wires! I didn't get a chance to stop by the booth and say hello, but I know I'll be back next year. Had a great time breaking my roundup cherry and putting nearly 2000 miles on the 36!

20. Great write up Ryan. That T is perfect and a deserving recipient.

The Roundup is on my Bucket list.

21. Fenders

Fenders

The misfits.... sounds like one of the few clubs I would joint (or be accepted into)....
    But I might bump into some Hambers at Carlisle....
    Meanwhile, back to painting my wheels red.. dark red... blood red....

22. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome stuff!! I would love to go next year...

23. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I haven't been back since 2007 and miss it every year. Work and life get in the way. There is always next year. Thanks to all those that put it on and to those who go and post pictures. See you at the drags.

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]

Really? .......... your own bank and ATM's now :D

25. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Ryan...it was good to have you as a neighbor at the show again this year, and I always enjoy our conversations, no matter how brief. I did finally get to go check out the Rivi, and the new wheels and tires look great in person. I'd leave the tires alone...they look bitchin'.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone that stopped by the Bass Kustom booth this weekend. Every year I am amazed by the kindness and support you all demonstrate, and I am extremely humbled by it all. Thanks to each and every one of you, and I'll see you back out there next year!

26. Ryan
    I enjoyed talking to you and checking out the carbs for the Y block. I fully understand your desire to find some alone time in the crowded masses.

27. For the second year in a row Studebaker Joe and I came down with my roadster on the hook (flat tow). About 700 miles each way. This year was a bit different.

I had to buy a new battery for my truck.

The roadster cooked it's coil cruising Congress.

And I woke up with a severe case of stomach flu Saturday morning.

Even so, I had a great time. See you all next time!!

28. Rusty

Rusty

good times!

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Great show. Enjoyed seeing everyone. That carb plate for the Y-block is bitching. Love it.

30. I'll be there. If I see you, I'll say hi......or not.... since I am socially challenged!:eek: