Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Sad day in Jersey R.I.P. John Pazsik

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 00 MACK, Mar 27, 2013.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Just got a sad phone call about the passing of a well known Jersey customizer. John Pazsik was recognized in these parts for an awesome 54 Merc called "The Renegade" that was originally customzed over 50 years ago. He continued on doing custom work well into the revival years of the early 80's when he started The N.J. Renegades Car Club. In that club were several cars that he built or at the very least had a hand in! I do know that when I was 10, he would talk kustoms with me like I was 45!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

We here on the HAMB can thank John for mentoring our own, Chopolds, Mark Wojcik and introducing him to the world of real 50s style kustoms. To this day, Mark drives around in one of Johns customs that he restored in his shop, Flash Customs..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  3. jerseymike

jerseymike

sorry to hear. i had heard he wasn't doing well. in the early 80's guys like john and barry mazza always amazed me with there builds.

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's really sad to hear. John's work is still around and his legacy lives on. RIP

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

R.I.P.---condolences to the family members.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

That's a major drag! Never met the gentelman, but I liked his builds!

R.I.P. Mr. Pazsik

7. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

didn't know the man, but have seen some of his cars. may he rest in peace.

8. Rikster

Rikster

Sorry to hear that.

Condolences to all who knew him.

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The custom world has lost an imprtant figure in the passing of John.
    John "kept the torch lit" on customs all through the years, even when customs seemed to lose appeal. It was always his passion, and primary driving force.
    But John was much more than that. His talent drew in all sorts of customers to his shop. When I first started working for him, he was working on restoring a Model T Phaeton ( I believe) that had been involved in a horrific crash in Linden, the owner was at the shop wearing casts on BOTH arms. He also had a nice looking custom 70 something Vette in the shop, as well as Scotty Daniels ( a Renegades member) chopped VW. His own chopped 40 Chevy was in the corner, and a 50 Merc sat outside. This is in 1979, when NO one did custom work., or was interested in chopped cars or Mercs.
    John's painting talents, and his Candy paint was absolutely amazing!, brought him all sorts of other work, as well. He taught me the paint tricks of the 70's while painting many of the local MC club's bikes. Fish scales, blowdots, pearl fades, and ghosting, Candy, flames, panel painting, etc. On the wall of his shop, he had pictures and newspaper clippings of his work. A radical T bucket in pearl white with graphics for Bob Calandria, an article about John repairing some paintwokr on a Delage, that was once owned by the King of Siam, his own custom 54 Merc, that won just about every award in car shows in the early 60's...paint, upholstery, best custom....
    During the years, he built everything from pimpmobiles in the 70's (as did another famous NJ customizer, Les Dunham, whose work was in "Live and Let Die") custom vans, dragsters ( I've got a pic of him with his paint gun next to the "Outer Limits" rail), Corvette restoration, exotics (he did compliance work for a local gray market importer of Ferrari's, Lambos, and such), even painting frames for a local racing Go Kart builder, Kustom Karts of Union, NJ.
    When the custom revival hit in 1981, he was still building that sort of thing. I started working for him in June of '79, and I was into hot rod 55-7 Chevies at the time. I couldn't afford to have him do the bodywork on my 57 convert, so I decided to volunteer to work for him, so I could learn the craft. John taught me how to braze (he never got into welding, even after I bought my own MIG, back in 83), how to do quality bodywork, do custom work, piece back together busted up Corvettes, and most important, custom paint.
    I worked on and off for him for many years, his generosity in sharing his knowledge was unbound. Even when he was confined to the nursing home in the past 10 years orf so, he still got a sparkle in his eye when talking about the old days, and custom cars. I feel very priveleged to have known him, and will truly miss the man.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  10. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Mark, sorry to hear that.
    RIP John

11. I always hate hearing that the kustom car world has lost another good one. My condolences to all his family and friends.

Vaya con Dios, Mr. Pazsik..........E

12. thesupersized

thesupersized

RIP, dude built some nice cars...

13. KustomNiece

KustomNiece
    from Union, NJ

Wow, I am truly touched. I'm Dawn, John Pazsik's niece (my mom was his sister) It's a very sad time for our family and seeing things like this really warm my heart. Chopolds (Mark), it was such an honor meeting you after all these years of hearing stories about you. It was a sad reason for everyone from the "hay days" to get back together yesterday but so wonderful to hear how my Uncle's memory will live on. I see things like this and now know that my Uncle Johnny will live on in his cars, cars he's worked on and what he has taught you, and others. I know he will not be forgotten.

Thank you all for your kind words.

14. Another one of the great ones have left us! RIP

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

15. teddyp

teddyp

It was a sad day yesterday going to johns wake he got so many of us into customs and then back into them in the early 80,s he never left we all talk about john and how he touched all of us it was great to see alot of the old guys but a sad time r.i.p john you were one of the great ones!!

16. teddyp

teddyp

btt for the top for thoses that my have miss this

17. Please add my condolences. To those that knew him, and custom lovers around the world it's always sad to lose someone who shares a common passion with you, especially one who was that dedicated to our hobby.

-Dave

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's sad to hear. It's good to see that he had such a profound and positive effect on many people though. That's quite a legacy to leave in it's self.

19. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be praying for the family and friends for the loss. I'm so sorry for the loss.

20. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

RIP. met him like 10 years or so ago, he was happy to see me driving a 54 merc kustom, cool guy who built cool cars.

21. Spike!

Spike!

I'm happy at least he got to see his name in print before he passed. I appreciated his work.

Spike

22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Spike, his family was so happy to see him mentioned in both Alan Mayes' book, and YOURS as well. They were impressed that some of the cars he built (his 54 Merc, VIc Collins 47 Merc, my Dodge, Frank P's 54 Merc) were highly valued, and carefully restored by people today, who remember him.
    Thanks for including the Dodge, and telling his story in your book!

23. I was fortunate to be able to see the Renegade '54 Merc and the '61 Dodge in person a few years ago. Very nice work, he will certainly be missed.

24. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

I only met John briefly during the 80s, but always enjoyed Marks stories about him. His cars sure do speak for themselves, very inspiring for guys like me who got into customs during thr revival. RIP.....

25. themaven

themaven
    from north nj

Hey all, this is Jeff W. and I just wanted to say how nice it is to see all the love here for his work. He was my dad (step dad, but the only father I ever knew).
    personal & family issues aside, some of the fondest childhood memories I have are from the shows we attended with the Renegades and learning to drive the 54 Merc and his 72 Comet. We had our ups and downs through the years, but one thing always held true.. His work was and always will be amazing.

chopolds - Nice to see you're carrying on the tradition.. I actually found pics from the old shop a couple months back and you were in a few. Made me think of the old place, you guys and of course "Sander" the shop dog...

R.I.P. dad..

26. Rip john you be missed sorry for your loss