Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc flywheel allowable thickness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onegalonly, Apr 8, 2013.

1. onegalonly

onegalonly

my flywheel is 1 3/16" thick... can i turn it down to .800" .... reason for question is that my RAM hydraulic bearing is is hitting the pressure plate fingers. i need a gap of 3/8" between the bellhousing to engine block in order for there to be a desired bearing set gap of .150"... RAM tech people suggested a .800 flywheel but can't find thickness specs on flywheels to order one.....

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

call speedway, they list a flywheel for use with RAM clutches

3. onegalonly

onegalonly

speedway tech says its (flywheel) not for stock disc..looked around and found a 1/4" spacer that i'll use..i'm sure i can cut the flywheel down 1/8".. that will give me the demension i need.. thanks

4. onegalonly

onegalonly

found some good suggestions on another forum.. turned the flywheel down 3/32" and resurfaced .003.. added a 1/4" spacer between engine and bellhousing and bam! got the gap i needed

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I though you could turn them down to were the chamfer if gonr on the edge of the flwheel

6. onegalonly

onegalonly

if that is true, it is good info.. i didn't hear that on this forum or an other forum that i posted in.. all i know is that if you take too much off, the springs on the disc will hit the flywheel bolts.. learned that the hard way

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thats what the machinist told me because I had always wonderd had a customer that had a 1 ton 4by4 that I had put many clutches in and had the flwheel machined every time. When I asked the machinist that is what he said hell he may have been trying to pay for his flywheel reserfacer.