Register now to get rid of these ads!

So Who's doing Wood Graining?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51woodie, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 51woodie

51woodie

Here's my latest in progress, first 2 coats done.
    Who else is wood graining? Let's see some .......

I use Grain It Technology transfer plates.

Attached Files:

2. Lurk king

Lurk king

Looks great.
    I have never done any, but I find the process very intriguing.

3. Looks nice,we have done a lot of wood gaining over the years but very little on cars,,We did do a 38 Lincoln and a Model A-400 but for the most part mostly doors and painted trim work in houses. HRP

4. kscarguy

kscarguy

Here is a fun fact...in Dayton Ohio, back in the mid 80's, there was a man who woodgrained interior parts using the original Ford wood grain engraved plates (his father did it for Henry in the 30's). The process was really quite interesting. He inked the plate, then rolled over it with a special rubber rolling pin. The pin held the design long enough to transfer it to the dash, window trims, etc. Beautiful work. Don't know if he is still doing it today.

5. 51woodie

51woodie

That's the same process I use. JDee from Grain It makes the plates now.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I could have taken some classes from Bob Hill when he taught at JM Perry in Yakima as he did some of the best wood grain finishes I have ever seen. All freehand with brush, sponges and what ever other tool he used.

Nice work on the Burb's window surrounds 51Woodie. That's going to be pretty classy when it's done.

7. Edjan

Edjan

your attention to detail is really good. most would have forgotten to make it look like several pieces of wood.

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was in a paint shop the other day and he was wood graining with a turkey feather. The results looked great

LJ

9. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Here's some that I've done.

Attached Files:

mike bowling and motoandy like this.
  10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you've got the talent, hand graining can look fantastic, but for "regular" guys, like me, the Grain-it kits make it easy to look like a pro, when you're a shmuck! HIs kits and videos make it easy to learn, and he has many different rollers and plates for different types of wood.
    Jdee is a great guy, used to post here once in a while.

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Your graining looks killer, but I hope you used a good clear to seal it, and be VERY careful backtaping it when you shoot the body colour:eek: Please don't ask how I know of these pitfalls:eek:

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

12. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Nice job looks killer.

13. Normbc9

Normbc9

Try Keith Payne, 119 Oak View Drive, Leesburg, VA. 571-442- 0625
    He does a lot of GM restoration work with Wood Grain and the work is great.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

14. 51woodie

51woodie

Nice stuff Philly. I like the joints in the graining on your garnish mold.
    Pimpin I use the SPI clears. Good bang for the buck. This Burb is getting green color with flat clear..... hopefully in the next few weeks.

15. 51woodie

51woodie

Just finished yp the rear barn doors for the '64.

Attached Files:

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

True Artists who can do this degree of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inspirational and creative a work of art.

Very nice indeed. Jimbo

17. I know this is an old thread I resurrected, but wood graining is something almost anyone can learn with practice. The Grain-It transfer plate method is apparently the traditional woodgraining method, extensively used by most US auto manufacturers in the '30's and 40's.

It really is not that hard to do, but like any skill, a certain amount of practice is needed to get proficient. I spent about six months practicing before actually doing the few pieces I wanted to woodgrain. I may never do wood graining for anyone but myself, but it was worth the effort to get what I wanted, and to do it myself.

The following are example bits of practice work, using different graining patterns, different base colors, different graining compounds, and different toners. Lots of practice to decide on grain pattern, base color, and grain color, and to just practice getting smooth transitions with each roll of the grain transfer.

This is 4 different graining compounds, maple, elm, mahogany, and driftwood on a maple base. On left side of photo is a test panel of my car's paint color (and my reflection plus clouds).
    [​IMG]
    the next pic is actually my first piece, Butt Walnut plate, light walnut base, walnut graining compound, on about 18 by 24" sheet
    [​IMG]

this next was two different maple bases and maple graining plate used, each sheet with 4 different graining compounds, and a couple different toners
    [​IMG]

After doing a bunch of flat panels , I started trying more complex shapes, and learned more. The contours required using new ideas on how to execute my real project.
    [​IMG]

practice dash panel with instrument panel and some pin striping colors tested.
    [​IMG]

I finally got to where I was satisfied with my work, so I did my real pieces:
    [​IMG]

finished product:
    [​IMG]

Wood graining something most anyone can do with a little patience and practice.

18. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Here is some more

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 46 Olds dash and garnish molds. Redone as per OEM on all surfaces. A work in progress. Just add OEM trim however you can't buy that old car smell.
    Dash woodgrain.jpg

Garnish-rear.jpg

20. flatty1

flatty1

Very Cool
    Where do I get the kits and do clear coat it after wards? I have a 41 ford I am restoring and am planning on doing this in the next few weeks.

21. flatty1:
    google Grain-it Technology They sell all you need. Do not expect to become an expert in a few weeks. I spent about 6 months until I was ready to tackle my actual piece. But with a bit of practice, it is quite doable.