Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 Thunderbird Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by driveslow, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Paul B

Paul B

I put a 600 single feed holly on my 63 . runs great

2. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

True. I know I don't need a double pumper. But for some reason I have 2. Might as well spend the money on a new 600.

3. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

Ok. Another question. The torque converter has been sitting on the floor of the car. What's the best way to clean it out? Seems to still have fluid in it. We have an ultra sonic cleaner at work. And a hot sink. What do you guys recommend.

4. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

bump for torque converter

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Does the converter have a drain plug? I wouldn't soak a converter in anything I couldn't be 100% sure I could get all of the solvent outa of, no way I'd flush with water!

6. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

I called a tranny shop and they said they can send it and have it rebuilt. He told me to rebuild the trans and coverter 800. That's not to bad.

7. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

Engine ordered. Decided to run the trans. Talked to one of my friends who is an ase master tech. Told me what to do with the torque coverter and such. It will be a few weeks before the engine is here. So just alot of prep on making the car safe. So next month sometime it may be running! Once it's road worthy. I'll need to start replacing dented trim pieces. I need my rear bumper rechromed. In time it will happen. I'm just exited to take my girl to the drive in in it. I think it will just be a time machine at that point.

8. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

So the body has holes from where the trim pieces where, would you guys put anything down in there to settle on the bottom to desolve anything down there. Like pb blaster or atf. Or am i overthinking it? I want to put the trim pieces back on untill the body work is done.

9. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

Engine came in last week...finally. Engine stand folded at the sight of it. So now i'm asking around town to try and borrow a "good" stand. Hopefully by the end of the month it will be running.

10. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

Engine is now in the car, I will get pics up sometime. I went with headers as my manifolds where junk. Not much more for headers. The right side is hitting the strut tower a bit, and we even did the spacers. Ordered a new tranny mount to see if it will help. Getting closer.....

11. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

Heres a couple of pics on the updated status of the car.
    [​IMG]
    enginegoingin by 62tbird, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    enginein by 62tbird, on Flickr
    Yes i ran out of paint for the engine bay....oh well. I can still get to those parts with the engine in!

12. Paint some fake rust and NASCAR numbers on it.

13. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

nah, id rather lift it and put on 26's

14. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

I also do have a pretty cool oval thunderbird air cleaner, i just need to get a new element for it. A friend gave it to me. The chrome stuff is there well..the air cleaner came with the carb, and the valve covers came with the car. Should be close to running this weekend.

15. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Nice car! Following this thread with interest :) have u thought about keeping it as is minus the stuff to get it roadworthy and safe ofcourse? I kinda like the rat look and besides being cool - u dont have to worry about dents or washing :)

16. dad-bud

dad-bud

Now that there is funny!!!
    Cool looking build - enjoy the heck out of it.
    Cheers.

17. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

Speedchop, it will end up staying looking how it is for a while. And quite possibly for as long as I own it haha. Once the stance is right, i think it will look pretty cool as is. Im hoping friday i will get to hear it run for the first time. Then the whole putting everything else in and hoping it works! Haha, i think i might end up running an alternator off a sbc as they are cheap and easy to come by. I have the generator, just not sure about the mounts, and if it works. It's getting closer and closer. My plan was to get it running this summer and find a date to take to the drive in...yea, summers pretty much over haha. But oh well.

18. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone ever see an early to mid '60's T'bird Holley carb with the twin choke horns???.... Very wierd looking..

19. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

Down on the ground, close to ride height. Has no gas in the tank, no radiator or accessories on the engine. So it may go a bit lower, sags some i think. With the clearance it has i may not lower it. Dont know yet. Its getting there...
    [​IMG]
    rideheight by 62tbird, on Flickr

20. driveslow

driveslow
    from Kansas

Also, just ordered an HEI dist for her. The one that came with the car is not in to good of shape, got the generator brackets found, so if the generator works...along with everything else. A good long day or two and she could be streetable!