Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Dreams set in the Summer of 1959

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER, Apr 2, 2013.

?
  1. I'm looking for information on Hot Rods of 1959

80.0%
  2. Who were the Top Hot Rod Builders of 1959

30.0%
  3. What Music would you like to see in this film from this year 1959

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER

V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER
    from England

Thank you my friend,that's kind of you, like I say I'm learning all the time, I appreciate all the help and advise I'm given, that song "The Wanderer" is of such importance to the opening Scene of the film, I may have to change the year to 1961, it maybe of an advantage to other parts of the film later on? But if anyone can come up with an even greater track for this opening scene in 1959, with the Deuce thundering down the road I like to hear it! thanks once again, when I do get this film made, which maybe some years away I'd like to invite you and other members to its opening. All the best.

2. V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER

V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER
    from England

3. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

4. V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER

V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER
    from England

hot rod also hot-rod (htrd)
    n. Slang
    An automobile that has been rebuilt or modified to increase its speed and acceleration

hot[​IMG]-rod[​IMG] v.
    hot rodder, hot[​IMG]-rod[​IMG]der n.
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

hot′ rod`
    n.
    an automobile specially built or altered for fast acceleration and increased speed.
    [1940–45, Amer.]
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hot+rod :eek::D

5. V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER

V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER
    from England

We all have our own views on what is a Hot Rod, for me like I say, its about building something orgional, using your own input, modifying engine, body, wheels etc, its about the thrill you get from the open roads with listening to that V6,or V8 or V12 or even a V16. building some totally original and unique, its about sharing your knowledge with others to help someone who might need your skills, or having some parts another Hot Rod builder might need. Its not about and never will be about killing someone's dreams, whether they want to put a V12 Jag engine into Deuce or what ever, if that's not your dream then ok, but for others it might seem cool! Below is some more views and definitions of what is a Hot Rod!:)

wikipedia:

Hot rods are custom-built cars. Originally the term was used to the practice of taking an old car, usually a Ford, and improving its performance by reducing weight (usually by removing roof, hood, bumpers, windshield and fenders), lower it, change or tune the engine to give more power, add fat wheels for traction and apply a distinctive paint job. The term may have originated from "hot roadster" and the term was used in the 1950s and 1960s as a derogatory term for any car that did not fit into the mainstream. Other sources indicate that the term was derived from replacement of connecting rods in engines to allow higher RPMs to be reached without failure. When hot rodding became commercialized in the 1970s, magazines and associations catering to "street rodders" were started.

Hot rodders including Wally Parks created the National Hot Rod Association NHRA to bring racing off the streets and onto the tracks. The annual California Hot Rod Reunion and National Hot Rod Reunion are held to honor pioneers in the sport. The Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum houses the roots of hot rodding. Nowadays people who own hot rods keep them clean and try to make them noticeable. Those who work according to the original idea of cheap, fast and no frills are often called rat rods. There are many magazines that feature real hot rods, including The Rodders Journal. Commercial magazines include Hot Rod Magazine, Street Rodder, and Popular Hot Rodding. There are also television shows such as My Classic Car, and Horsepower TV. Hot rods are part of American culture, although there is growing controversy within the automotive hobby over an increasing trend towards the acquisition and irreversible modification of surviving historic - some even very rare - vehicles rather than the traditional hot rodding concept of the salvage and remanufacture of reusable junked parts.

My Hot rods:

when i hot rod something i focus on making it fast, fun, and cool...also keeping with a theme (so i don't [censored] something up)
    Let he who welds barefoot cast the first stone.

6. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

This is a TRADITIONAL HOT ROD website. If you have to look it up on Wikipedia you clearly don't know what it means.
    You won't find EFI or nitrous on a hot rod. Street rod yes, but that's not what the HAMB is about.

7. Monday morning and this guy is telling us what a hot rod is? HRP

[​IMG]

8. Unless you're gonna film it in the US you'll need to set the story in a place in the USA where it F**king constantly rains, everyone drives on the wrong side of the road and they have a passion for shitty rusty fiddly little English cars. If you're going for the authentic 1950's experience, don't forget to have all the girls heavily tatooed and lots of rat look pickups and a rock-ola jukebox in the corner of the custom shop...sorry speed shop... sorry garage...

...or go to the 'vintage shots from days gone by' thread read that end to end... that'll put you on the right track...

As for a V12 jag engine... your choice of course... horses for courses 'n' all that... but it'll be neither fish nor fowl... and may just end up being foul!

Avro Manchester BTW... different a/c ;)

9. V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER

V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER
    from England

HRP it seems I owe you and the guys on H.A.M.B some apologies, that's down to me being a ASS!! in not looking at what you guys have been working on, my mistake and my apologies, I guess we all have our opinions on how we see things, sure I like modern custom Hot Rods, but the builds I've seen here are something different, especially your 1932 Ford Truck HRP simply put Awesome built my friend, to see it being built photo by photo was great, I only wish I had half the skills you have HRP, I haven't built a thing to be honest with you, but I have the vision and inspiration to build something, and the will to learn, now this maybe some time away who knows, with no garage or funds, not even a home at present, me and my wife and baby living in one room in my fathers apartment, lost my job while taking care of my wife and baby after my wife Julee had an infection, then post natal depression, tough times, but we may have light at the end of the tunnel with an offer of a home through our city council. My dream like I say is to work from home on my writing of film screen plays like American Dreams, and yes I know it will take a lot of work to keep it on the line, but with help I'm sure I can do it, if someone tells me hey buddy, that's not the right way, then I'll listen to them and change it so it is right, to many film companies try to change things like people have said here, well I don't want that, I want to try my hardest to keep it true, and take on-board all that I can,to create something special never seen before on big screen.

Maybe someday I'll have that nice workshop at the end of my house and build my dreams from what I've learned along the way!:(:eek:

HRP I noticed this link on the page with photographs of your 1932 pickup don't open up my friend, I found the new link to it here, some great photography by this guy,and great photo's of your truck by the way, it was a pleasure following your journey through the build my friend, anyway here's those links.

Robert McCarter
    Specializing in Automotive Photography

https://robertmccarterphoto.com
    http://public.fotki.com/hotrodprimer/1932_ford_truck/tn-1200-dsc-1500.html#media

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  10. i remember my mother almost killing me when i was about the same age, cause i was singing this song at an airport in britain!!

anyway back to the point, i would watch a legit hot rod movie, but NOBODY wants to see another "cry baby". that was an insult. you can make this happen and make it real good but you need to have a good storyline and pay attention to EVERY detail. research the shit out of it. and don't make it too "perfect" either. how about having a kid growing up in some hick town where no body really knew that much about hot rods, cause they hadn't made a big scene quite yet, and he sees one in a magazine and is determined to build one, but nobody goes with this idea and eventually he loses the respect of everyone he knows. but after not giving up and finishing the car, he re-earns the respect of all his friends and they think he is the coolest cause of his car, kinda like "october sky", but with rods, not rockets.

11. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do what you want, build what you want. I you listened to everybody on here you would be building their car.

12. V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER

V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER
    from England

Yeah thanks for the advise RAREBIKE, its been good to see what people have been building, its a mixture I recon, some more traditional than others, its good just to see how people go about building their project, just wish I had my own place with a garage to work on my first Hot Rod, it would be good to learn from someone who's been building Hot Rods for years, someone who can pass their knowledge on!:)

13. reefer

reefer

Embarrassing.....the op and some of the replies.....you guys deserve each other.HRP, no offence mate, but do you post on every single thread..it sure seems so.

14. bgaro

bgaro

embarrassing for who, don't tell us what your gonna do, tell us what you've done.

15. If that's your dream, then do it. I like the concept. From my own point of view though, if you're going to do it, do it right and make it accurate down to the details. I would do a lot of research and you just might be in the right place for that (the HAMB). There are thousands of folks on the HAMB who were there. Use some of them as consultants. For me, if there one detail out of place, it spoils the whole film.

Some folks brought up Deuce of Spades. It's a charming film and I thought Faith did an awesome job, especially considering that she did everything herself and put her entire heart and soul into that film. She worked with folks who know real hot rods and know the era. We are so used to the crap that Hollywood puts out that my brother-in-law (also a car guy) and I were amazed when we watched Deuce of Spades and there was a scene where Faith was supposed to be working on the brakes and on the floor there were actually brake tools! That sounds like a little thing, but that detail to a hot rodder would not be missed and if she had had the wrong tools, we would have said, "WTF?" and gone into the kitchen for a snack.

I encourage your efforts, but please do it right. The HAMB is a tough audience but you're in the right place. You can expect to be called out on any bullshit, so play it straight and ask questions. Humility will open doors.

One more thing, don't go by Wikipedia's definition of a hot rod. If you want to know what a hot rod is, if you want to understand the culture and the era, then you're best bet is to come here for a month or two, empty your head of what you think you know, and spend some time with people who are the "real deal." Learn the real history, not the Hollywood version of history. Pick a region and understand what was going on there in 1959.

If you can stay true to all that and the story makes sense, then you could have a hell of a film. You do that and I'll buy it for sure, as I'm sure a lot of others will too. If we spot a poodle skirt or fuzzy dice, it's over.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

16. F&J is absolutely correct. The devil is in the details.

17. V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER

V8WHEELSOFTHUNDER
    from England

Thank you Saxman, I appreciate all what you've said, yeah I'd like to hear from people here on the H.A.M.B on what they'd like to see in a film, I'd be interested to find out who could build a couple of the cars for the film, maybe members of the H.A.M.B could have their input into the film with some of their cars, or build something, I'd like have my hand into building something authentic but sadly I'm not in the position to do so as yet. I found this great page from another thread, by.

FourBangNCanuck
    Alliance Member
    http://instagram.com/fetepish

Some cool looking photos to give me some inspiration, but yeah I'd like to hear people's stories who lived through this era, but also to work on the film in the future as advisers to recreate something original looking.:)

18. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)How is it going ?:cool::D