Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting it painted?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EasyBake, Apr 7, 2013.

1. EasyBake

EasyBake
    from Bedford IN

I have never paid anyone for a paint job so I really don't know the protocol, this guy works or a big commercial paint place by day and does custom stuff at home, i have seen a lot of his work and he is trusted by my friends, but I am still worried about handing over a vehicle to someone I really don't know, like payment I assume you don't pay till its done? Or do I need to pay for supplies up front? Should I write out a contract or something?

2. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

i take 50% down and the rest when you pick up. do what makes you feel comfortable though its your car.

3. derbydad276

derbydad276

this!!!

4. F&J

F&J

a contract means little if there is a dispute. Sure it is better in court, but if you end up in court, it is going to cost more money.

Besides, I doubt he will do a contract in writing, if he's flying under the radar. He would be nuts if he did, with epa regs, etc etc

Half or 1/3 down would be normal.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

I would put a deadline on when the work is to be completed. If the work is not completed within the time frame, remove your vehicle from his shop. Otherwise, he may take his time, and start other projects by putting your vehicle on the back burner. For peace of mind , have an exit plan in case things go sour. I've known guys who had custom shops that kept taking on new projects and never got things done as promised.

6. I would think this guy is working at this part time so it is not his main source of income,,so he may not be as fast as the guys that charge big bucks.

Best thing to do is talk to him and ask questions,,HRP

7. x2. And half up front.

8. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

A deposit of 500, then weekly progress payments. @ x hours x whatever his rate is.As long as there is progress. When I do a job, I don't charge a deposit or progress money, but I don't keep them long, or count on the money to live. Some guys do the side stuff so they can eat, pay bills. I do it to pay for car parts and fame:D

9. What does your painter want? I run my shop the way I want. (no up front money, pay as you go every two weeks.) If you came to me I would tell YOU how it works in MY shop. If you told me a bunch of guys on the internet told you how to pay me, I'd send you packing.

10. BEST ADVICE IN MY MIND.

I needed some touch up body & paint done in time for a show. $3000 worth. I told the painter I needed it done in time for The Back to the Fifties show. 3 months he had my car & had it ready the day befor the show. I purchased the paint supplies up front & this was not a hard match to do.
    A deadline & let him know the quality you expect. Be firm on your expectations of his workmanship.

11. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

I do a fair amount of "side work". I always write out a description of what is to be done and who is responsible for doing it. It's not a contract but it goes a long way to remind what was said verbaly weeks or months ago.

12. I can't follow a dead line on my own crap that I REALLY-REALLY want to get done.

I'd ponder tinbenders post quite deeply

13. EasyBake

EasyBake
    from Bedford IN

He said he only does one car at a time so mine will be the only thing he has in his garage, he said about 3 weeks, and he just wants like 300 to cover material up front then the rest when it's done and I am happy! Seems legit to me. And I am throwing in some parts for him.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  14. shadams

shadams

Man, after the horror stories I have read here, with people that were supposed to be friends taking the down payment money to cover other obligations and leaving said friend with his dick in his hand, I have really just decided I am going to do everything myself. If I cant do it, I will have to learn or do without it. Besides, it wont ever be good enough or fast enough in my mind when someone gives me a "deal" on the work, so why put myself and someone else through all that.

15. jazz1

jazz1

I farmed out the work 30 years ago for a paint job to a guy who did one car at a time..He worked pretty fast so he could get paid and on to the next job. Those are the guys being efficient and making a living. Shortly after a friend showed me how to paint and never farmed out another.

16. EasyBake

EasyBake
    from Bedford IN

Trust me I love the idea of doing it myself that was the original plan, but between small garage space, 2 young kids that have activities every night and redoing our 120 year old house the truck is on back burner at least in my wife's eyes! And not being a painter or ever doing it before on this scale I would prob waste more materials and money than just paying to have it done.

17. shadams

shadams

Oh yea, I have wasted a ton of shit and I havent even started painting it. I would shit myself if I ever added up all the stuff that just simply was wasted or wrong due to my ignorance. I guess learning has a price one way or another. Good luck on the old house, I can see that being a priority...

18. $300 for the materials ??????///
    Can't buy much for 300 bucks
    What type primer, sealer, color, hardener, reducer, tape, sandpaper is he usin.
    Sumthin from Home Depot ?
    Ain't no way you can buy the materials for 300 bucks !!!!!!

19. I just did the same thing yesterday. Part time painter, he asked for 50% up front for paint and supplies... After I picked my colors I asked the guy to shoot test cards so I could see them in the sunlight and I also told him I wanted to visually inspect the car after he blocked it out before the paint went on. Just my 2 cents...

20. Cerberus

Cerberus

I thought the same thing. I went to Ned's Auto Body Supply last week to get a quote on PPG paint material: epoxy primer & hardner, thinner, 1 qt white paint, 3/4 gal hugger orange, activator, $644. Single stage polyurethane enamel. Then, there is masking tape, sandpaper, masking paper. Not to mention fixing body dings.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Will he guarantee his work? A big shop will. There are a crap load of horror stories dealing with "friends" or the "guy down the street".

I have a friend who got and paid for a paint job from a guy who did it on the side. It's only been 6 months and it's starting to peel in a few spots. There are usually NO guarantees with side work.

22. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

my advice is say $500 down, then check his progress every week or so and give him money based on that progress. Never, ever, ever give a painter more than 10% down. You will either get your car back undone or never, pick one.

I never understand businesses that take large deposits. When a customer brings a car in my shop I usually take zero. Even when I have to buy parts. I have their car!

Again, check weekly and give him money based on set goals. Say the first being all trim removed, then car stripped to metal, then primer...........etc

23. Depends on how bad it is to start with but you'd be lucky if you could get it ready to block for 300.00,

24. Squablow

Squablow

$300 down covers a gallon of decent fill primer, some good body filler and DA disks plus some other small misc stuff, that sounds reasonable to me as a down payment on materials, assuming you'll have to come up with more money toward the end for paint.

If all he wants is materials cost up front, I don't see any risk there. But be patient, as long as work is getting done. Someone who calls every week bitching about their shit not being done is going to get half-assed work turned out just to shove it out the door.

A good body man who'll do side jobs for a reasonable amount is very hard to find, setting deadlines is going too far. If it's getting worked on, give him whatever time he needs to finish.

25. EasyBake

EasyBake
    from Bedford IN

Like i said he works at a large commerical paint business so I am sure most of his supplies are "cheap", I think the 300 it mainly just the paint. And by no means am I paying for a high dollar show car paint job this is my daily driver truck that gets used as a truck, dont get me wrong I want it to look good but I am not looks for a cherry paint with 400 coats of clear.

26. Just did this OT 70 short step for myself.
    Not to included misc shop supplies, sandpaper - primer - tape - masking paper- tack rags - prepsol- etc
    Just the paint ( 2 quarts sealer, 5 quarts color ss urethane, hardener, reducer ) was well over $425.
    Your buddy/painter must be stealin :confused::confused:the materials from where he works.
    Imposssible to do it for $300.
    I've been @ this game for over 45 years and it ain't gonna happen for $300 unless some of the stuff is "FREE":eek::eek:

Attached Files:

27. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I do paint and body for a living and hotrod side work for fun. I have been doing this for years. For me, it depends on the size of the job. I get a materials deposit, usually a progress payment, and when they are happy, a final payment on delivery. "garage" guys get a bad wrap because they do it on the side, but if they care and are good, the work will show and no one knows the difference.

28. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

$300 for materials must mean its getting painted with equipment enamel. No way. You get what you pay for. Cant cheap out on material grade to save a buck if you want it to last. He must have a stock pile of material built up hes donating or his work is donating haha

29. jazz1

jazz1

If a $8000 showroom finish is not in your budget squirt it yourself for the time being.

Lay a coat of cheap enamel for practice on your vehicle,,you would be surprised at how good a painter you are, it ain't rocket science,,or that you a total failure as a painter however a cheap learning curve for less than $100.00.. I learned buying mismatches of quality paint at a fraction of their MSRP to lay on my daily drivers. The kids sanded and masked this truck,,I squirted the $189.00 Restoration Shop Urethane paint kit on and 4 years later the truck looked just as good when he sold the truck.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  30. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If it's just a driver, not a show car, I would go with MAACO or One Day Paint and Body. I had a two tone truck. The white was fine but the copper color was badly oxidized. I had One Day redo the copper. 3 days and it was done including some rust repair. The job was $400 with a 3 year guarantee. However, that price was 25 years ago. I've even had a Corvette painted by One Day and it came out great.