Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question About Wheels..Opinions Wanted (YIKES!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BARNETT, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Do ya'll think Fenton-type slots wold look good polished up and used on my 65 Fairlane 500 Wa-Gone©? I'm goin for a "Bellflower" type look. I'm just lookin into options other than the usual smoothies and astros. Maybe slots will be too "drag car" lookin...even polished up?

2. k-member

k-member

3. A Fairlane is a little on the small side for a Bell/Flower car isn't it? Maybe not, you are the creative genius here.
    Polished aluminum might infer too much Aerospace/Drag race trickle down technology. Bright, heavy, clean, chrome plating would be my first choice. What about a set of early 60's chromed steel slots?
    Name of manufacturers eludes me at the moment. I think Astro made 'em.

I mean if they can be found that is. And don't cost more than keeping your back waxed for a year.

4. ponchoman

ponchoman

A lot of wheels look good on old sleds, as long as they ain't billet and 17 or 18 inches, with rubber bands for tires. Like your old slots. Personal favorites are Cragar SS's, after all these years.

5. burger

burger

Dan,

Yr dealing with a car that has a personality conflict from the factory. Half of it's a cruiser, half of it's a muscle car. ANY detail could swing the balance, so tread carefully.

Ed

6. Cragers man, I keep saying they are gonna come back strong. You can lead the way.

7. TINGLER

TINGLER

HA! Dan ain't leading the way. I've been rolling Cragar SS's since '03. If there's a Cragar renaissance, its because of me. :D :D

Having said that, I will also add that I love Cragar SS's. Especially on Fairlanes.

Barnett, feel free to put Cragar's on it....(and be a big FOLLOWER) ;) :D :D

8. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

Fentons, Cragars or even Keystones would probably look cool. My next project's gonna have Cragars, so I can be like the Tingleheimer.

9. Sorry Tingler :D

I bought my first set new in 1976 for my '67 Chevelle. next set went on my '71 Camaro in the early 80's.

The next set will probably be going on a 55 chevy Gasser ;)

Stay tuned for more details......

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Fenton flat spokes or astros.

11. Hey Tingler...I had Cragar S/S's in '81-'82! :eek: (of course they were on my Mustang 2...but I was still sporting Cragars S/S's!!) :D Rudy...Cragar S/S's would be great...if they weren't gonna cost a small fortune. What the hell happened to the pricing on them? I remember them as the cheap/cool wheel to have. Hell...Keystones cost a small fortune, too. You'd think there'sd be lots of them layin around...San Antonio use to be crawlin with Mustangs and Camaros runnin Cragars or Keystones back in the 80's. Where'd they all go?! sheesh.

Benzine440...personaly,I think a Fairlane wagon can pull off the Bellflower look. It's a pretty long ride and bigger than the Falcon, even though it is smaller than a Galaxy. I held some Bellflower pipes up to it and they looked pretty damn good.

Burger...I hear you...that's why I was asking for input. If it was a sedan, I would snatch up the slots in a heartbeat, but I'm just not sure for the wagon and the sled/cruiser look I'm after.

Brush...there's an add in the classifieds for some Fenton Flat Spokes...those are COOL! Idealy, I'd be able to run those...or better yet...RADIRS! I can't, however, justify spending almost as much on wheels as I did for the whole freakin car! Plus...I'm just an aspiring tattoo artist-apprentice/pinstriper...the cash flow is somewhat less than stellar at this point.:(

12. Oh yeah...Tingler still rules! :D

13. I sent a 15x7 Keystone to the junkyard months ago because I couldn't give it away. Sheesh! is right!

14. Did anyone else make the Radir/Fenton Flat Spoke style wheels? Does anyone STILL make that style wheel (other than the afore mentioned 2 companies)? Any other ideas on 60's style wheels? I've thought about hubcaps, but I think I'd like to have some chrome wheels since it's been decades since I last had some.

15. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Dan, do you have a pic of the car? Maybe we can photoshop some options man.

16. Here's a pic, but as you know, it's in banana puddin yellow primer at the moment, while I get the holes filled and some rust fixed. I think it's gonna go back to being gold with a white ice pearl flake roof...we'll see.

Attached Files:

17. AKATIREGUY

AKATIREGUY

How Bout Some Radir "rader" Wheels

Attached Files:

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Okay.how about this....Just use a chrome reverse and ditch the baby moons that come with the set...they are dirt cheap.Use a thin white wall(1-1.5 inch)
    And for center bulletts..head down to home depot and buy 4 aluminum fence caps....they will fit the center of the rim.Make a base plate and weld together.Polish until u can see your pearly whites.....and oh yea....slam that wagoon HARD!!!!!!!!
    I have seen it done..looks killer.

19. AKATIREGUY

AKATIREGUY

In Gold

Attached Files:

20. muffman58

muffman58

Hard to not like the Crager`s. Even make a Pacer look cool!

21. AKATIREGUY

AKATIREGUY

Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Bagged And Slammed

Attached Files:

22. hemi

hemi

The slotted mags that were chrome plated steel, with a pinner white would rule. Astro made them. Either that or a set of reverse steelies, the real kind with the three dog-dish bumps, not the cheese-ball pep boy specials....maybe have your stock rims widened/flipped and painted with a pinner white and some spider caps.

Or you could run fully polished moon discs...

Cragars look good, maybe, again with a skinny whitewall, ala early lowrider/custom look...

23. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i thought they never stopped rolling them there?

24. Alright, I have a deal on some slots that is damn near too good to pass up. If someone doesn't mind, howz about photoshopping these wheels onto the tires and car in this pic of my Wa-Gone©. I already have the skinny whites. The color in the pic is little more "pagan gold" than I am planning, but it looks better than the green.

Attached Files:

25. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

wheels no paint

PS get my PM?

Attached Files:

26. TINGLER

TINGLER

Barnett, I think those slots give it more of a performance look than a bellflower look. As a matter of fact, I think the Cragar SS's would too.

However,
    I really like those slots.

Who says you can't mix the two genres??? That I can see. I can see your wacky art coming through in something like that. (don't you just love someone describing your art as WACKY??) :D

27. I'm sure my "art" has been described in worse terms than "whacky". :D

O.k...forget the bellflower pipes...how will the slots look with panel paint, because that is the plan for the Wa-Gone...PANEL PAINT and FLAKE! I should probably just scrape together the dough and get the smoothies with bullets...I KNOW that will look "right".

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Barnet after takeing a long look at your car...

Chrome Reverse and a skinny whitewall... no moon cap, run the rim open.

Seriously...
    I dont think slots will work on it- unless you went with something flat like the radirs and chrome...

Tuck

29. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

Some trivia on early wheel companies and when they started making mags::

Ansen 1963
    Amer Racing 1960
    Crager 1962
    E-T mid 60's
    Appliance 70's
    Superior 70's
    Crestline 60's