Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Packard info wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AeroMonte, Apr 6, 2013.

1. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

I found this car local to me and the owner is willing to part with it. I can't remember ever seeing another one like it at a show and I'm probably going to try to get it bought. It has the drive train intact, some rust in the floors but not bad, no seats. how rare is this car really, and what do you think a fair asking price should be for a non running project? I really don't need it as I have a 48 Dodge 3 window coupe but this car just grabs my attention and I want it.

Attached Files:

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The 2 door fastback is fairly rare. There must be 5 or 10 4 door sedans for every 2 door. But not as rare as a convertible or Station Sedan (woody wagon).

Old Cars Price Guide says $800 (parts car) $2400 (restorable). With rust, parts missing, not running, that one is a parts car to me.

I think they are cool, I would buy it if I could get it for a decent price. They were a big powerful car in their day and could maintain 70 without strain. So you don't need to change engines, trans etc. Plus they are pretty simple without all the automatic and power accessories that came in a few years later.

3. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I know where that car is, it's definitly not worth what they are asking if it doesn't run and the floors are gone.

4. Zeke

Zeke

[​IMG]

Go for it:D

5. spiders web

spiders web

Zeke, Bad ass! I have one of these in the 48 vintage that I'm putting a 12 valve cummins/auto in. Got 2 1/2 inch drop spindles and lowering blocks. Should cruise at about 70 mph at 1700 rpms and get somewhere around 45 mpg. Mine also has the visor. I love the look!!!!!!!!!!

6. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

I just got home from looking at the car...I bought it for a grand. It was last registered in July 1961 and the odometer shows 29,000 miles. Really a very solid car with minor rust in the floors and rockers. The only thing missing is the cloth and cotton from the seats and headliner. All the glass is good, never been painted on or wrecked. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get it home.

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

That's friggin slick......

[/B]

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Cool find. They are a bit more common the people think, once you own one they will start popping up all over. Most people overlook them until there is one in the family. My dad has a '49 4 door, and I know the owners of a '49 Woody Wagon in Grand Forks, and a '49 convertible down in South Eastern ND. There are Packard clubs all over the country, often they are very helpful in tracking down parts.

Speaking of parts: Kanter and Max Merritt Auto have good selections of lots of Packard parts. Not cheap, but then neither are Cadillac and Lincoln parts of the same era.

http://www.kanter.com/

http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/

Please do everything you can to keep the old straight eight. If you are lucky enough to have the 327, it makes a great cruiser with more torque then you will know what to do with. Edmunds even made heads and multi carb intakes for Packards. They pop up for sale every now and again, so keep your eyes open.

Good Luck.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Seats and headliner can be fixed. Seats are made of cotton padding, burlap, muslin etc. covered with broadcloth. All cheap and easy to get except the original style broadcloth which is $80 a yard and you need about 7 yards to reupholster the seats and door panels. If you go with modern cloth and/or vinyl it's more like $10 to $20 a yard.

Upholsterers who do sofas and chairs can do car seats but hate to do them because they are more work. But some will work on them if you take the seats out and bring them to the shop.

Packard Motor Car Information - Packard Forums

Here is a good web site for Packard information, just don't tell them you are going to modify it (except in the modification section).

10. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

I just got it home and gave it a good look over. I'm happy with it and think I got a fair deal. It is so complete I think it will stay original. Thanks for the Packard link. The odometer shows 26,500 miles.

11. chubbie

chubbie

Monte, Great packard! My friend has "barns FULL" of packard parts, for sale.

12. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I built one years ago the first dare to be diferant made all the rags hot rod ect even the cover a few you more than likely riding your bike, 1985 to 89 lime green fun car easy to build people did not know how to react in a world of 32 fords at that time it was real trad. at the time to trad is what you spend and I,m a cheap motherfucker and always have been, holy shit its been like 25 yrs I think the car stuff now is over rated one guy does something cool and all the rabbits follow you will have fun with the car easy tp work on built like a tank!!

13. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Oh Jerry Wessner used on a cover of rod action ,did a aticle what a great guy hummmmm wonder how hes doin he was a cool mf!!