Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boston Ma area - Street Racing in 60's remember this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, May 3, 2012.

1. farrigno

farrigno
    from mass

was this kosty's old vette?

2. farrigno

farrigno
    from mass

looks like the same car?[​IMG]

3. Went to the new PV speed shop Friday with cousin Vinny.
    Its now named Mike's Performance (and furniture).
    Mike is still in Malden and still behind the counter.
    Clean well lit place with plenty of parking. The ceiling doesn't leak and there's plenty of parking in front and the side lot.
    One stop shopping. You can buy a set of rims and headers and the little woman can pick out a new dining room set all under one roof.
    I think they offer marrige counseling on Saturday mornings.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. A & J Speed didn't last long, opened in January 1971 and was gone late summmer '71. A & J had a top fuel dragster that I drove until it was time to go.

[​IMG]

5. Church Key

Church Key

Could you give us more details...Have they moved from the old 1000 Main St. location ? I worked there from 76 to 78.

6. Yes, they're gone from Main St.
    New location is 41 Willow Street, Malden.
    I'm going back over there Monday. Need some wheel spacers, and a case of "Trick Shift" and my wife wants to look at a new Recliner.
    Got to drop off more boxes of vintage rodding magazine I promised Mike too.
    We can both shop there in "Wedded Bliss".

Mike's Performance and Furniture ( and marriage counseling by appointments only).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  7. Church Key

Church Key

Jim, Thank you for the update. The next time I am in Malden, I will stop in and see Mike.

8. Not old enough to remember the Adventure Car Hop (although I do remember my old man talkin about it) He had the Arnie Ginsburg cassette tape back in the 80's. I can still hear the jingle. haha Anyways, the old A.C.H. pictures do remind me of the old BEA'S sandwiches on 110 in Methuen. One of the first "cruise nights" in the area. Was a cool old sandwich shop with similiar styling & the cool old neon sign. They even had a little "beach" area where you could pull up a boat & grab the best damn chicken cutlet sandwich in the state. Sadly, just a vacant lot these days.

9. A couple old pictures I found on the interwebs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could probably find some pistures of the cruise nights at home & scan them, but I don't think I wanna scare everybody with 80's customizing trends.

10. WOW! I had forgotten all about Bea's.I used to go there when I lived in Tewksbury and had my Mini Cooper wagon.They had some pretty decent cruise nights there.I remember some guy used to come there in an old flat bottom drag boat every once in awhile.Don't have any pics from there for some reason. Thanks for reminding me.

11. Tell Mike I said hello and will stop by to see him when we come out in August for the All Timer's run. Ray Smith

12. Ray.......I'll tell Mike you say hey!
    The place is nice he's got now. Like a cleaner well lit speed shop we remember in our youthful years.

13. it is 42 Willow Street actually.

14. panrat

panrat

Richie Willet built the boston hooker my brother bought it from him took it to fla.back in 1986 sold it never took photos of it please if anyone has any photos please post them my name is Richard tringali lived in Everett, ma. vine st. please post

15. I think Vinny DiPaola owned the Victoria. He's has owned more rods and 55-57 Chevys than even he can remember.
    He still has a Vicky body in his basement in Medford, it's for sale!

16. The Arlington Kid is Dave Robson. Dave has had more Victoria's, Anglia's, Tames, Deuces, sedan delivery's and other show quality vehicles than anyone I know.
    Davy has been a body shop proprietor, apartment manager, home builder, property flipper, and general contractor, and a hi-end rod builder. All around great guy.

Misplaced likes this.
  17. panrat

panrat

was that vette ever parked in a garage in cary sq. chelsea

18. panrat

panrat

did Vinny DiPaola sell the red nomad

19. Daves cars are beautiful!!!. I ran into him at a show earlier this year.Now he has a couple milk trucks in his collection.

20. Last time i talked with Vinnie he was working hard on a 40 coupe. I wonder if its done yet?

22. "Richie".....He definitely looked the part of a lady killer in that shot.

23. Vinny is working on it but at a snails pace.

24. Boston Camaro.....Do you know Fred Spina who lived on Lynn Beach or his son Fred Jr.
    Father & Son have done mountains of body work on cars of mine over the past 25 plus years.

25. Yes, he sold his red Nomad last spring. Shocked all of us. He and Janet owned that way over 30 years.
    A guy visiting one day saw his 1934 '5 window coupe and was interested but Vin had already sold it 2 days earlier to a Nz. buyer. About to leave he spotted the Nomad in the yard and made an offer.
    Down the road it went.
    Vinnie replaced it with a powder blue '56 2 door Forestry Department wagon (1 piece tailgate).
    Great driver car, dual quads, O.D. and A/C.

26. Oh good maybe ill be able to finish mine first.. I met Vinnie thru a friend that works at the arlington post office.

27. I'll bet you're referring to Johnny Strelis.

28. Yes it is, I worked with John for about 15 years. When i lived on Plum Island I went away for a weekend and the sob came to my house and liberated my Hemi. I came home and there was nothing under the tarp except an oil stained driveway!He is a fast worker when he's motivated ;)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  29. Church Key

Church Key

I don't have a complete picture of the Boston Hooker. This is when the car was being built and Richie brought it to the Boston car show to show off the bright work. Bosto Hooker.jpg