Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy race engine I.D.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chop32, Apr 6, 2013.

1. chop32

chop32

Maybe a little OT since its a big block, but Im hoping there are some current or ex racers out there who might have some insight.

I ended up with this Chevy Big block a few years back. I was told it was a 4 bolt main 454 short block, but when it got here I knew it was something different.
    It looks like it was a seriously built drag engine at one time, 4 bolt mains w/ socket head bolts, bronze lined lifter bores, o-ringed deck surface, screens epoxied over all the oil drain holes, everything deburred…etc. I looked in the box that came with the block and found Bill Miller aluminum rods and forged domed pistons.
    The more I looked, the more I realized this aint no factory block. There are 2 extra head bolts per side (in the lifter galley), no provision for motor mounts (or milled off), no provision on the rear main cap to mount an oil pump (dry or external wet sump), and freeze/core plugs epoxied in the lifter galley.
    The bore size is 4.6” and it appears to be a standard deck height block.
    Doing the math with a 4” (454) stroke = 531 cu.in. With a 3.76” (427) stroke it comes out to 499.9 cu. in. (Pro Stock??).
    The only markings I can find on the block are ZA 176 stamped in various locations.
    Local speed shop hasn’t a clue to its origins, anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Deuces

Deuces

Sweeeeeeeeeet!...

3. fat57

fat57

Looks like a DRCE 1 olds kb block will take all block chevy parts but need olds heads olds heads are 16 bolt

4. chop32

chop32

I had seen an actual Chevy block with the extra head bolt bosses (ZL-1 maybe), so I just assumed it took Chevy cylinder heads...Ill have to throw a head gasket on it and see.

5. fat57

fat57

Do you have the crank for it

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

X2 and the 499" makes it legal for NHRA P/S nice piece.

Pat

7. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could it be a Pro Stock Block for the early 90's Symmetrical Port Heads (ones made famous by Grumpy Jenkins.) ?? I used to have a set. They required trick parts, however, were pretty cool. Either way. It's cool.

8. xftcyrpz

xftcyrpz
    from london

They required trick parts, however, were pretty cool.[​IMG]

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

yikes---that is neat...

10. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

No boss for an oil pump. A dry sump motor means that this thing is something exotic. Any markings on the side of the block or maybe a gm part # ? Probably cost a lot to get this thing back together but I think it would be well worth it. Find a light car to put it in and hang on!!!!

11. chop32

chop32

No markings other than the ZA 176 marked on the block and on the main caps.
    A standard Bryant 3.76 stroke crank came with the other parts, Id like to assume that it is from this motor, but cant be sure.
    I also have an external wet sump oil pump to go with this setup, but the older I get, the more Im thinking that Id like to just use the Bryant crank for my 427 and sell off the rest.
    I hate it when reality sets in!
    I haven't matched the block deck to a BBC head gasket yet, but plan to do so in the next day or two.

12. fat57

fat57

Message me if you are going to sell
    mark

13. jjflash67

jjflash67
    from Ohio

I have the factory intake for the DRCE motor. Long story there.

14. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I was gonna say DRCE also. It looks like the push rod area has been clearanced to run some exotic heads like Big Chief heads maybe.