Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Shoebox - Mild Custom Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papasmurf240, Mar 18, 2012.

1. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

Rebel, thanks for pointing that out. I had that in there for mock up because the blocks I had were 2.5" and not 2" wide. That has since been replaced with the correct size in the proper orientation.

I love your shoebox too......shes a real beauty.

2. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

We were finally able to make some real progress on the car today. Huge thanks to Carl for all the hard work on the engine.

Starting to put the flathead back together for the last time. All modifications have been made for the T5 tranny. Drive shaft is cut, tranny crossmember is notched, everything fits great.

73.jpg

Here she is back in the car. Carbs are now rebuilt, linkages are all made and installed. The full flow oil conversion is in. Slow and steady, its taking shape.

74.jpg 75.jpg
    This is just a cool picture
    76.jpg

Here are a couple shots showing the T5 and how it all came together.

78.jpg 79.jpg 80.jpg 81.jpg
    One more just because its so sexy!
    82.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow we will hook up the rest of the wiring (I moved the battery to the trunk and still need to run some cables) and oil filter and fuel lines.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Lookin good Murph - cant wait to hear that baby purr!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hey,that looks pretty cool!
    Nice work with the motor.

5. daddio211

daddio211

Bitchin'

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I think I am going to go with the 24" length Brockman Mellowtones. I have been listening to sound clips and I think that will give the flattie a real bitchin sound. I plan on using 1 3/4 diameter all the way. Does anybody out there have a similar setup? Anything I should look out for before I start the exhaust?

7. daddio211

daddio211

Brockman's sound FANTASTIC! I will tell you that a pair of 24" mufflers will make a Flathead REAL quiet. Personally I'd go with nothing longer than 18".

I'm going straight 1.5" pipes all the way out the back. It's a 239, clean up bore and no stroke with 8.5:1 heads. IF its too loud (which I doubt it will be) I'll run a pair of 12" steel packs.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  8. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

Thanks for the feedback Daddio! That was enough to sway my decision. I heard a lot of people using the 30's and some using the 18's. I was thinking about going in the middle, but I do love the sound of a loud flattie.

Do you think it will be quiet enough at cruising speeds to have a conversation or listen to some music in the car? I have a lot of sound deadening and lizard skin so that should help.

9. daddio211

daddio211

I think you'll be fine. I do like my cars loud, but not inside. My '31 A Tudor was EXTREMELY loud inside and I've had enough of that.

I'm pretty confident my muffler-free '50 shoebox will be VERY tolerable while cruising... Until I wring it out! :cool:

10. MatcoDude27

MatcoDude27
    from Texas

Love the build I am pretty sure my 1st project is gonna be a shoebox keep posting progress

11. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you guys are enjoying this build as much as I am.

We didn't get a whole hell of a lot done today. Started fabbing a bracket for the clutch arm linkage. That is going to take a little bit longer to get finished up, but its close.

I'm crossing my fingers that next weekend is the weekend this beast will breath again!

12. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

It took a little bit longer than expected (always does), but I am proud to say that the flattie breathes again!

I hope you guys enjoy this video as much as I did.

CLICK TO SEE THE VIDEO!

[​IMG]

13. daddio211

daddio211

Sounds incredible! Good job man!

14. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I haven't updated this thread in a long time, and I don't have any current pictures to share, but the shoebox will be going to paint in the next month or so! I'll try to get out to the garage tomorrow and snap some updated pictures.

It's been a long time coming!

15. daddio211

daddio211

16. DurtyDave

DurtyDave

Thanks!!

I really appreciate your thread with photos! I've been searching for photos of a modified crossmember with a T5 for quite some time..I've got a T5 ready to go in my 49 as the 3spd/OD is worn out... Is that S10 single bolt mount working out OK?
    What rear end ratio do you have to match the T5??Is your engine around 255ci +.030 overbore??
    Really enjoy this thread, You've done an awesome job!!!

Dave

17. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

Thanks for the kind words Dave. The single bolt mount works great! The crossmember is bolted in for serviceability. I have a stock rear end in it right now. I'm not sure of the ratio. I am looking for a maverick rear end that is slightly narrower so that I can run chrome reverses without having to make any modifications. I haven't done the math on it with the 4" merc crank and .030 but it is probably around that.

18. It's been a while, any updates? What bellhousing did you use to mount the T5? It doesn't look like the Cornhusker or similar unit that uses the stock 8BA to early trans adapter.

19. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

Its been a while since I have worked on the shoebox. Ive been back at it for a few months. I've been working on alot of small things trying to get it ready for paint.

83.jpg A

20. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I made a new latch for the hood. I got tired of the pull cable always sticking and it didnt look good anyways. Here is what I came up with. I cut a hole in the latch panel and welded a piece on so that you can open it from outside under the grill.

84.jpg 85.jpg

21. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I finished chopping down all the stainless and the window templates are finished and glass is being cut as we speak.

86.jpg

22. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I wanted the rear windows to roll down. That ended up being a little more work than I anticipated. I had to slant the window channels but everything works great now. I added a spring to the regulator to keep it tight to the pillars.

87.jpg 88.jpg

23. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I finished my t5 shifter and added a nice swan shifter and white knob.

89.jpg

24. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I changed my trunk latch setup so that the cable is not on the deck lid. I used something from the local junkyard out of a toyota. I ran the cable into my fuel filler door.

90.jpg 91.jpg

25. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

My fuel tank is leaking terrible. I had it coated inside and out a few years ago. Just ordered a new steel one from Shoebox Central and will have it in next week.

Now back to installing window fuzzies and those damn staples.......

26. Those staples are a real pain in the ass. I ended up using weatherstrip adhesive and a lot of clamps. It’s still holing up fine.

27. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I think I'm going to try that trick on the rest. It is a real pain in the ass!

I think the chop was quicker than all the trim work.

28. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I haven't been posting much, but I have made a ton of progress. I ended up replacing both rockers (inner and outer) and had to do some surgery on the passenger door jamb. Also replace passenger fender bottom and inner brace.

98.jpg

I also decided to shave the fuel door which required making a different latch for the trunk release and changing filler neck and vent.

96.jpg 97.jpg

New grill!

99.jpg

Teaser shot of seats. The pictures dont do them justice. Bright white with blue piping around the pleats.

93.jpg 94.jpg 95.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    chryslerfan55, Jalopy Joker and EBW like this.
  29. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

She finally went to paint. Hopefully I'll have some real progress pictures to show later this fall / early winter and get her put back together for next summer.

chryslerfan55 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  30. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, I've missed this up until now. What a great job! I'd like to do something like this to my '51, but it's just to original for me to cut up. Love what you're doing, though!

I will say that the chopped top takes it out of the "mild custom" category, at least in my way of thinking.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.