Register now to get rid of these ads!

nostalgia drags Sealy,Tx

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by texas rattler, Mar 3, 2013.

1. texas rattler

texas rattler
    from texas

there just around the corner, april 12-13 2013 anybody going??? went last year and had a blast! put on by niffty fiffties i believe,they do a great job. sorry if this post is in the wrong spot.

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I went when it was in Navasota....havent since...I dont know why tho

3. cooger

cooger

Been to all of 'em-every one a full kick in the ass! Great cars, crowds (older mostly) and all pre 73-meaning gassers, etc.
    Unfortunately, if you haven't heard, Nifty 50's is gone. No more car shows on Sat.nights--big loss to all us geezers and street rodders. They're not involved this year-but the guy who did Navasota is doing it at Lone Star motorsports park in Sealy 4/12, 4/13. Go to their website for the flyer.
    See you there.
    cooger

4. First I've heard about it...had a blast last year at Little River, I'll mark my calendar for this one!

5. The there one is coming up in a couple of weeks.....Chet is putting on a good event....been to the last 2 and am scrambling to get my engine together for this one coming up...Listed as "Legends Nostalgic Drags and Rod Run"....yes worth going to!!.

6. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I went last year and will be there this year too. I will be hanging around the motor reco booth

7. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I'm planning on going in my 64 Galaxie. Do I need a helmet, and is a cheap DOT open face ok? Anything I should look out for as far as tech inspection, common things that are overlooked that I might need to have, or not have on my car? Never raced it at a track before.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  8. cooger

cooger

Last year they let just about anybody run. I'm not clear on specific requirements, but I ran with only a seatbelt. One of my buds said they told him he needed an overflow can, and I think only helmets are needed with under 12 sec. cars.
    Its all for fun, so unless the thing is total unsafe I'd think you'd be o.k.
    cooger

9. texas rattler

texas rattler
    from texas

10. saltracer

saltracer

We're gonna be there with "Bodacious"

[​IMG]

11. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

The Boss just gave me permission to run her car! I will be there if the car is willing.
    [​IMG]

12. slow1955

slow1955

13. RamJet1

RamJet1

I don't know about that specific track, but San Antonio Raceway is also an IHRA track and requires a DOT helmet if you're faster than 14 seconds. Sometimes they check the date on the helmet too.

14. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Haha, looks like I'm good then. It's just a four-door with a stock 460. I'd be suprised if it got into the 16's. Just wanted to see what it would do to get a baseline before I start upgrading.

15. radleyhardy

radleyhardy

Will be attending this for sure! Look forward to a great event

16. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

The website says 8am. I assume this is when the gates will open. Does anybody know what time the event starts? I called but got no answer.

17. texas rattler

texas rattler
    from texas

18. captmullette

captmullette

nice...... damn sure bo day shus...........

19. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Last year I got their before 9 and things were already happening...stayed most of the day too. I will be hanging around the Motor Reco display.

20. Gates open at 8:00 am on Saturday, but they are also having a test and tune etc Friday night. Not sure when the gates open then. Chet will be there early both days so not to worry. He will get you in.

The Living Lengends of Drag Racing will have several cackle cars there on Saturday. Scorpion 1, Scorpion 5, The Pony, The Gizzle Hopper, CKC Funny Car and several others. This is the thrid year for this very young event. Chet is doing it up right. Let's all go and support him.

21. cooger

cooger

we got there early last year, had to wait for the gate to open (before 8) and a line of traffic built up. They probably got that covered for this year.
    I see all these wonderful lookin' street rods all over Houston----now's the chance to see if they actually run or are good for just sittin' and polishin' chrome and billet.
    cooger

22. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

23. Marcy

Marcy

Headin' out!
    I love the smell of nitro in the morning. (....and evening)
    Chet puts on a great event.

Marcy

24. saltracer

saltracer

any pics? I didn't make it.

25. radleyhardy

radleyhardy

It was a great turnout. Didn't get a lot of pictures but there was a lot of people with fancy cameras

26. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I got a couple shots with my phone. I had a good time, I was only able to stay during the morning, not many people did the test and tune, I missed out on the actual racing but got to see the fly-over with the old planes and see the guys spread their buddies ashes on the track. Very cool event, I'll be back next year.

Attached Files:

27. cooger

cooger

I was there with 3 of my buds and our cars, all for time trials. Really disappointed in all the super long delays for track cleanups. Every track has major oil downs but taking over 1 1/2 hrs to clean one up is not good. Even a broken driveshaft at the line took 20+ mins. Track guys should have heard the guys waiting in line for the trials while all this was going on. I know about safety, this ain't our first rodeo.
    The nostalgia event is really anticipated, too bad it had to be this way.
    I think it hurt the event for next year.
    cooger

28. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Well it was a Harley that dumped the oil.. in the fastest part of the track no less...blew an oil filter...it is really hard to clean up synthetic oil. Would you rather have been the first one to run on a track that was not cleaned properly? I think the logic in being careful and time well spent using the best chemicals and equipment to make sure things were safe for a whole lot of rare cars.
    This sort of thing sometime happens on racetracks.

29. cooger

cooger

Don't think you'll have to worry about a "whole lot of rare cars" next year.
    I stand by what I said, every track has oil downs and know how to clean them up.
    cooger

30. txelectrician

txelectrician

I would check the niftee fifties web site. according to that they are back at the Kroger at champions. 7 - 11 pm.