Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Banger build 31 roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bear Metal Kustoms, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Haven't been on here in a while. Shop is super busy. I figured I would post pics of my new build.. 31 roadster. Will let pics do the talking.. No name intake, finned side covers, cyclone head. Much more planned but had to mock it up.. Dropping the axle, drilling, and reversing eye on spring in the morning..original Lincoln front and rear brakes...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Tried out my new 3" dome louver dies too... I like em...

3. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

Beautiful car nice find im green with envey louver's look sick are you sticking to a 30's style look-build? I'm looking foward to more pic's of the progress.

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Cool car...
    Keep us posted

5. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, it is going to be a prewar build.. Will post more pics today as the front end gets put back together..

6. draider

draider
    from Texas

Very nice. Looking forward to more pics.

7. Will350z

Will350z

Looks great! Can't wait to see it all done up

8. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Got a bunch more done on roadster today.. Dropped and drilled axle, reversed eye on spring, got motor cleaned up and ready for new parts.. Flat top pistons, stainless valves, adjustable push rods, insert bearings, balanced crank, high volume pump.. Now can add the go fast, aluminum gear, diff. Cam, cyclone head, 2x2 intake, magneto... going to work on brake system and trans. tomorrow..

Attached Files:

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a good one. Original Lincoln brakes...very cool...as is the rest of it.

And you're just making it better.

10. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Gonna remove rear mechanical brakes today and start fitting front Lincoln brakes and master cylinder today.

11. olskool34

olskool34

Very nice roadster, I like where you are headed with it. Subsribed.

12. ChefMike

ChefMike

Louvers add a nice touch to the car ! Its a nice roadster

13. A Rodder

A Rodder

Awesome build

14. Elrod

Elrod

15. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Thursday update... modified rear spring to lower it a bit, pulled all the mechanical brakes off and started sorting out the Lincoln brakes and steering column/steering box swap today.

Attached Files:

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I think it's time for another Thursday up date :)

17. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn, that's a cool ride. Glad to see you are going with a pre war style build.

18. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Update.... finished mocking up the steering using early ford tierods.. column is almost done. pulled the body today and most of frame stripped down. just gotta pull the engine now. all the brakes have been fitted etc. using original Lincoln backing plates with Ford drums, and early Ford juice brakes on the rear. all the parts are off to the blaster now then prep for paint.. frame, wheels, suspension should all be in color next week. have a bunch of parts showing for the banger this week from the guys at H&H. They are awesome to deal with. will update more the end of the week..

Attached Files:

19. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Motor pulled today and started prep for paint, and started prep for paint on body, custom brake master bracket built.. parts off for powdercoat now.. should have motor and trans painted by Friday and start putting all my new parts on.

Attached Files:

20. Very nice! I'd say your era is more in the 46-48 range based on your parts (dropped axle, Cyclone head, dual Stromberg intake, juice brakes, etc.). Nothing wrong with that at all!

21. Really dig the louvers too! This shot just does it for me!!

[​IMG]

22. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Yup... Started out going to be pre-war... Them kinda moded into mid 40s once started collecting some parts... Figured I would build what I thought looked good.. Not too worried about pleasing the purists...

23. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

3rd time was the charm painting the engine. puling my hair out.. one problem after another.. set a few things in place to show direction I'm going. Rear axle painted and assembled, body on the lift as we tidy up underneath it. only have 4 weeks to have it all together....

Attached Files:

24. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Anyone have any info on these heads? I know they came in a couple diff. compression ratios. Need to figure out which one this might be. Year of manufacturer, compression ratio.

Attached Files:

25. That head is a stunner!

The September 1947 SCTA program for El Mirage lists H.L. Markham of the Albata club running a '33 B motor with a Cyclone head. That's the earliest I've seen mention of a Cyclone head on a banger...up to that point most guys who didn't go the OHV route used Winfields.

I believe these were made in 7.5, 8, and 10:1. I'd guess yours is either the 7.5 or 8:1 version - the chambers look a lot like some of the aluminum repop Winfields.

There should be a serial number on the head, usually in the area of the "Cyclone" script (if it wasn't ground/polished off)...perhaps Cyclone Kevin can help with specific production info.

26. Looks like Markham was using the Cyclone head on his B-motor as early as May 1947...From the AHRF (American Hot Rod Foundation) website;

"The year is 1947 and Howard Markham is running the old Rufi/Beck car at selected S.C.T.A. events. He used car no. 222 at the May 25th and July 6th races. The Class B streamliner was powered by a Model-B Ford with a Cyclone head, Dullen Cam, and home brewed intake manifold."

[​IMG]

27. A Rodder

A Rodder

Said it before. ...
    Awesome build!

28. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"Not too worried about pleasing the purists..." You should have no worries from purists or anyone else. Fine job.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

29. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the info.. I saw a sales page for them on eBay.. Thought about buying it.. There is no number on my head... I got it as cast.. And it didn't have a number...

30. You done good! Most of them are pretty beat up, that's by far the nicest I've seen. Looking forward to the rest of your build!!