Register now to get rid of these ads!

satin paint mixing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da dodge brother, Apr 6, 2013.

1. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Had a discussion with an experienced automotive painter yesterday and he was saying that in you could use either baby powder or baking powder as a flattening agent to gain the satin look in your paint job. If this is so do you use in both the color and clear or just clear?? And how would you proportion it for the correct degree of sheen ...

www.kkoanorthevent.yolasite.com

Attached Files:

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

... or you could simply paint it with GLOSS, and keep it looking like an actual REAL and TRADITIONAL paint job ....

3. As expensive as paint has gotten I would be leery of using baking powder although talc is used in making enamel paints. HRP

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I knew one of those comments would be coming. :rolleyes: I don't think he was looking for permission to do it, just ideas.

Never heard of the talc thing, but so many companies make cool satin colors now that I like to stick with one company's system all the way through. We have been using SEM Hot Rod Black and it sprays well and looks great (in spite of what SOME think).

If you are looking to satin some other colors there are satin clears and even some satin single components available these days, and more seem to be coming all the time. To be safe, you might want to call the tech line of the paint company you will be using and run the talc idea by them.

Don

5. Ask your experainced painter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Baby Power will have perfume in it which is oil based.
    Don't think ya want to put oil in yer paint.
    Just buy a quart of flattening agent and add to 1 gallon,
    unreduced for about a 35- 40% knockdown in gloss.

6. .....Or, you could actually buy the correct flattener and do it right.

Why add crap into the clear and make it fail? Adding peanut butter will also make it lose its gloss? That's an option.

The lengths people will go though to intentionally screw up a paint job astounds me. I can't believe a quality painter would suggest doing that.

7. bobscogin

bobscogin

:confused:Why not use a flattening agent as a flattening agent? Would you use flattening agent to powder a baby's butt?

8. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

CORN STARCH! That is the correct additive. Or you can simply buy universal flatening agent from your body supply house.

9. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

Hot Rod 47, Would that be Chunky or Creamy ?

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

X2. I love these threads, makes me feel like I might actually KNOW something!

Brian

11. I would just use a flattening agent to do the job.If it comes out right you might get someone to think it looks traditional. ;)

uploadfromtaptalk1365259517298.jpg

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. ckunsman89

ckunsman89
    from cocoa, FL.

x2 on the SEM hot rod black. high quality stuff reasonably priced, and it sprays and lays out nice, even with an ameteur painter like myself behind the spray gun. It has also held up awsome in close to a dozen engine bays that I have personally seen.

13. ev88f

ev88f

I wouldn't try it on anything but simple alkyd enamels. The primary ingredient in the flattening agent for enamels is talc, so talc would work. Corn starch has been used in The past as a flattening agent but again with simple paints. I've read of guys using baby powder on here as a flattening agent and it seems to work but your car will smell like baby powder.

I wouldnt use any of this stuff on a two stage system but if youre playing with cheaper single stage enamels like the tractor paint, rustoleum etc... What the hell try it

14. When adding corn starch to paint ,
    Do you have to keep it boiling and constantly whipping it like when making gravy?

Hell anything is worth an experiment and test panel but there's no way in hell I'd do a paint job with it. It's just too much work to flush.

Flattening agent is your best, easiest, cheapest, proven, guaranteed option proven by mega buck R&D. It's your time and money to do with as you wish, but if you want to throw it away- give some to me and I'll make good use of it.

15. Please use the proper flattener.

Make sure to use the right amount.

I used too much flattener on a roof one time and I came back the next morning and it looked chopped! LOL

Oh and never get any on your tires....

16. silversink

silversink

boooooooooooo I hate shinny cars

17. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I've often heard that flattening agent is just talc. I've put a teaspoon of talc into lacquer paint to flatten it out a bit and it worked fine. I color sanded the pannel afterwards and buffed it out with no problems.

It's still around five or six years later and held up just fine.

So from my own personal experience, I'll say that talc works to flatten lacquer. Other paints I can't comment on.

18. How about wallpaper paste ?

The flattening agent I have looks just like wallpaper paste and wallpaper paste is about 1/10 of the the cost of a 30.00 qt of flattening agent.
    If I used wallpaper paste I could save 27.00 , well I already have some wallpaper paste so it would be free.

Do you think I should use wallpaper paste ?

19. bobscogin

bobscogin

Absolutely! I brush my teeth with white siliconized acrylic latex calk. It looks exactly like toothpaste at a fraction of the cost.:D

Bob

20. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I have used both baby powder and corn starch to tone down the paint for painting a few sets of wheels. For an overall finish I'd go with the flattening agent that the paint company produces for its line of paint. Or for a bc/cc go with PPG Flex n Flat clear which you can intermix standard clear if desired to get the amount of sheen you want.

21. Oh no!!!
    The label on caulk clearly states "DO NOT Get this product near your mouth Somebody will call call you a caulk sucker ":)

22. agrezy1

agrezy1
    from tn

23. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Back in the 80's we used Black lacquer primer mixed 50/50 with Black lacquer paint.You get the look of what new Gm sheet metal looks like out of the box.Semi gloss black and mixing 50/50 it does not rust thru like just primer will...

Steve

24. Now, does the black caulk come in a bigger tube? I hear it is firmer and lasts longer. Is there any truth to this?

25. So did your painter ever tell you what he was experienced in?

26. jazz1

jazz1

Go for it...let us know exactly how much starch per gallon and post some pics of the results. I have always blown my hard earned cash on flat paint or flattening agent for the desired effect.

27. BadLuck

BadLuck

The two satin jobs i did.. basecoat.. no clear..done.

Attached Files:

28. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

Well as far as the talc and cornstarch route, its is mostly done in restoration work to knock down some glossiness albeit in single stage paints as stated earlier. Rick Doss (American Restoration) uses it for that purpose. If you want durability Summit has a flat CC available and at reasonable price. Also some people have used reducer in the clear to effect a flatter sheen. My 2 cents.

29. Not sealed... no abbrasion resistance ... No uv protection ... Done
    But it looks killer !!!!

Why not shoot a low gloss clear on it ?

30. You forgot "gonna come off soon"