Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Find (really)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ADVANCE1, Feb 3, 2013.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Have you checked the casting numbers on the heads and block? I'm really curious to see what that engine is. As for the paint job, it seems to reflect the era, but at this point the decision needs to be made whether its worth it or not to retain/restore the paint job. If it was done by a Larry Watson or George Barris type, then keep it as it is in order to document the era. If not, strip it down to bare metal and start over. While it seems kinda cool at first, it ain't Evel Kneivel's car. A high gloss black would look killer on that ragtop.

2. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Love these "barn find" stories, and your's is one of the better.
    Keeping the paint is a cool idea but like other's have said, kind of cheezy even in the "70's. It would look great gloss black with that blue top.

3. slammed

slammed

The repaint it and ugly crowd are CLUELESS. Go save another car for that line of thinking. Some these avatars are sooooooo boring.

4. What an amazing find!!! Congratulations. I remember those leaf spring shackles,,,

5. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Congrats on an awesome find. That car is like a snapshot in time. I hope you preserve it as is or repair the existing paint job.
    Does it have a racing history? Does the previous owner have any pics of it from back in the day?

6. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

No racing except on the street, no pics from previous owner, he bought it from his brother back in about 72-73 in this cond. and put it away in 77.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Awesome and cool! These words describe it all in my opinion. Great find!

8. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

That thing is awesome. I wouldn't touch the paint...imagine the reactions you'll get from people.

Cris

9. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

So true....

10. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Looks like it could be Captain Amercicas Car!!!!

11. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

12. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Yup ^^^^^^^

13. That's pretty freaking cool and property taxes are pretty freaking cheap there !

14. that is sweet. im glad to hear you are goin to leave it alone. have fun with that one.

15. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Such a cool car. It seems like the car got lucky and found an owner who realizes what car history is about. The survival rate of the mid-late seventies car is extremely low. The car has a history that can easily be documented, you know a lot about it already. In my opinion the paint should be saved and touched up as much as possible. The solid steel slots (wheels) can still be found (or those replated but they would probably be on the pricey side) and suitable tires to replace those on it now. The drivetrain can be restored to like new. I hope you find the 2x4 intake that was on it! Like someone said before, this may be the new reborn fad in a couple years. Who knows, this may be the spark to renew the fad. Please, document, document, document!!! Hemmings is full of nice '57 Ford convertibles, believe me, none like you have exist. Your car was built at the end of the muscle car era with the flash of "new mod" but still with maximum performance in mind. Amazing, time capsul! I look forward to seeing it featured in a magazine, the car is worthy and capable!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  16. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Don't look like GT heads to me, GT's had 2 extra bolts per exhaust port. What 427 parts are on this engine?

17. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

Since car was up on blocks the tires have no cracking and must have been fairly new when car was put away, they look brand new and I would use them and just get the rims fixed.

18. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

I am sure the manifolds are 390GT though. Not sure of all of the other engine parts as of yet, still need to check all this out.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Advance check your Email and MSG , I sent , It s ok with me if you copy and post the email I sent . There is a good chance the message I sent is 1oo% true. I haven t talked to Stud /Jim in many years. The last I hear/read of him he had set up some artwork on the IU-Purdue campus here,

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  20. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

Car was painted in Powhaton Point, Ohio in 1970

21. IWB

IWB

That is a sweet find one more vote for just cleaning it up and go cruisin.

22. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

I grew up in Long Beach lived on 5th and Magnolia.

23. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

Block is C1AE-6015C which is 61-62 390c. I shut the hood and can't get it open to see what heads are, will work on it. See you all at Columbus Sat.

24. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Very cool find.....but I did lol when I read "Stud".

25. You would use 35 year old tires !!! You need to read up on tires and age.

26. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Lots of folks use old BIAS ply tires.

27. historynw

historynw

Look like they used some paisley lace curtains to trim her out. I think you'll be able to match it.

28. Great find Man. Most people that say they have a great "barn find" are full of crap. A car rusting oustide uncovered is not a barn find. Poeple use barn find to cover up the fact that the car in question needs 100% restored, Motor locked up at *hit Etc... Barn Find sounds glamerous thats all

29. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

Just a ploy to get you to buy new tires, funny

30. sorry i missed you today in columbus