Register now to get rid of these ads!

identify a Hudson engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chico'72, Apr 5, 2013.

1. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

Can some one identify this hudson engine??
    Motortop plate got the 262 casting, but the cylinder holes have the size of a 308 engine.
    Maybe the engine is an original 262 ci bored up to the size of 308 ci ??

help wanted!!

Chico

Attached Files:

2. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

It is a 308. You can tell by the extra reinforcement rib. Very common to find 262 heads on 308 motors to increase compression

3. 51Hudson

51Hudson

Extra re-enforcing rib where is it located? I'm just asking because I have a 262 that has an issue fitting a normal 262 head gasket.

4. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

Thanks 51hornetdude !!

I thought it was a 308.
    The cylinder holes have the size of a 308 but i was not sure.
    The engine have the twin H kit with double carburators.
    Unfortunatly the engine is cracked and i don't know if it is possible to weld such a huge crack.
    (One of the pictures shows the large crack above the freeze plugs)
    Thank you very much for your help!!!
    Chico

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

A qualified engine block welder could probably repair it but be prepared to completely remachine every place on the block since the proper repair requires heating the block up to extreme temperatures, welding while hot, then long slow cooling. By the time all this done, there will be hardly any of the machined surfaces still in spec. If that crack was much shorter and lower, it might be repaired with much less drastic measures but it looks like it runs right up to the deck which means it might impact on head bolt retention.

6. PackardV8

PackardV8

How long is the crack in CM?

We've used Lock-n-Stitch pins to seal long cracks in Cummins diesel blocks. If you're careful and patient, it can be repaired. www.locknstitch.com

jack vines

7. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

8. @Chico - That reinforcement rib is found about two inches above the oil pan rail, it runs the entire length of the block, and is visible in pictures #6, #8 & #9. The 202, 232, and 262 engines do not have this rib.

9. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

Thanks guy's

The engine crack is about 35 cm long.
    I don't know yet if i'm going to weld, or stitch it.
    An old mechanic in my neighborhood offers me to weld it, i know he weld some race engines before.
    He said that on this part of the engine pressure is not so high, so it even can be weld with copper.
    Unfortunately this guy is suffering with his health, so i have to wait untill he is a bit better.

Chico

Attached Files:

10. TwinH

TwinH
    from Finland

Mine is cracked in nearly the same place. It was stick welded but it leaks a little. Been driving it like that for years.

Repair the crack, machine the head surface, assemble and go cruising :)

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I don't want to keep raining on your parade but I urge you to look down in the water jacket near the head bolt holes-check how those tapped holes are attached. If they are merely part of the deck, they're going to induce a stress on that crack and possibly flex the deck-trying to lift it. If you're not going to have it furnace welded, recommend a good stick welding job with a lot of preheat and nickel rod. Brazing is only good to seal up a water jacket.