Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you guys consider putting a 4 cylinder in your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like what you did with the valve cover, looks great. Is that an aluminum head? I've built a few XR4Ti's over the years, I know the turbo versions of these motors pretty well :)

2. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

YES. Saw a model A sedan last summer. 2.3 with a/c. I have started getting parts for one of my own.

3. dawford

dawford

A big block light weight aluminum 4 cylinder engine capable of 625 hp without nitros, turbo or blower certainly is worth putting in almost any lite weight hotrod that has room for it in the engine compartment.

Neff & From Racing set a record in 2009 running a 3.7 Mercruiser 4 cylinder engine modified using a bolt on Ford Performance head and increased displacement.

See the Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p26LxNjm10

Some on the Hamb have dismissed these engines for various reasons citing supposed weaknesses.

With a 5.86 rear end and a 168 mph trap speed the engine is turning 9,600 rpm. So much for the weak block theory.

I am not proposing that anyone try to put a 625 hp engine in a street rod however if you watch the above video you will notice that the engine actually runs better at idle than most drag engines do that are capable of a 7.78 SEC RUN.

I am building several engines using much less sophisticated performance aluminum 460 ford heads that will produce 225 hp and idle like a Model A flathead.

The engine and 5 speed T5 will weigh about 375 lbs. Thats about 200 lbs less that the Model A engine and trans.

I am also thinking about an early Buick 3.8 Grand National turbo setup that should produce over 300 reliable hp with an increased weight of about 75 lbs.

When I get a chance I will post some pictures that are on my other computer.

Dick :) :) :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No, if I want a 4 cylinder there are millions of Kias and Hyundais being made every year. :D

5. vega1

vega1

I put one in my Shortbed Chevy truck just yesterday ..............then went and dropped it of at the yard for scrap wieght

6. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

USAC midget teams have been making huge reliable HP with 4 cylinders for a couple of decades already.
    15+ years ago, PAK / Wilke Racing (of INDY 500 fame) had a deal with MOPAR to create some huge HP 4 cylinder motors just when MOPAR was considering getting back into circle track stuff. IF I remember right, I think they spent the summer of maybe 1995 trying to get a 4 cylinder 800hp MOPAR to be reliable in their dirt midget.

7. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

Inlines are my favorite motors, a four would be good in a light car.
    If not taboo for this forum the VW TDI can make good torque and
    give spunky performance, are not too heavy either as are many
    diesels. The torque of the ALH can be boosted a modest amount
    with only a reprogrammed ECU and larger injectors, after that the
    mods get expensive. The newer TDIs are too complicated.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Ummmm... No!

9. dawford

dawford

At my age anything with less than 10 lbs per hp would be dangerous.

My marine mechanic said that he built a big block Chevy that went into a customers Model A roadster and that when he drove it the rear end seemed faster than the front and kept trying to pass him.

Unless I get into drag strip racing I don't think I will need any more power in my Model A's than I can get out of a 140 or a 224 cu/in Mercruiser 4 cylinder engine.

Dick :) :) :)

10. doliak

doliak

Hell i put one in my living room!

Attached Files:

11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

If it looked like this one, Hell Yes!

Attached Files:

12. yes, but the car would have to have a hood :)

I've been toying with the 2.0 LSJ (Eaton M62 supercharger) Ecotec in my 2007 Cobalt SS, it's 275 hp / 30 mpg in a 2700lb car right now. I would absolutely put this engine in a hot rod.

13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tubo the 6 cyl, and try to get the mileage up, maybe add FI. then you can still haul stuff.

14. ninosdad

ninosdad

A Lakes roadster sure... but a pick up with 2.3L you'd have to keep it at 4,000+RPM all the time to have enough torque to move it You are not going to save anything in $$$ either to build a hot banger is more expensive than to buy a torque loaded 300hp crate engine

15. 54rat210

54rat210

Oh yeah! 4 bangers rock

16. elba

elba

GM's Ecotech would be a good HP 4 cyl. At the Gators there was one with a turbo in a rear engine dragster that ran in the high 6 seconds at 206 mph. Could not believe my eyes.
    The Pontiac Solatice has that engine and is RWD.

17. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

yeah twins .. 4+4 = v8 :cool: