Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hambers like me with one car garages?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, Apr 3, 2013.

1. RoryShock

RoryShock
    from Western TN

Previously in NY I had a one-car garage, but it was too small for my truck. And between my motorcycle hobby and the need to store my wife's MGB in the winter, the garage was little more than a place to house my tools and all my real work was done in the driveway.

Moving to TN, one of the things on the wish-list was a bigger garage/workshop/barn for me. Sadly I didn't get any of those, but there's enough land to build on and I have my spot picked out. Hopefully I'll break ground a little later this spring.

2. sophisto79

sophisto79

I had a one car garage in sunny San Francisco's Sunset District. Had to deal with my roommate's motorcycle, a dozen bikes, parts, and other assorted junk and it was really messy. But did some work on the T there and it was fun. Salt air ate up my poor daily as she got parked out front of the garage.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. blktie

blktie

I have a two car attached with the wife's car in one stall and my 54 Pontiac in the other. I've had coupes and roadsters in the past so there was always plenty of room to walk around, however the 54 Pontiac is a real land barge so I had to move all my tools and half my shelves to the basement. My company demo sits on the driveway. Working on anything in my garage is a challenge, especially in winter.

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I actually have a two car garage but my wife insists on parking her Prius in the garage. Fortunately, I have concreted RV parking behind gates next to the house. I work on my cars there.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Knew of a guy in Dayton,OH, near but not IN Oakwood, who did complete restorations in a one car which was part of the house-a house that was built in the '30s when cars & garages weren't as big a now. Worst problem is he had to do all of his work behind closed doors because of local covenants/zoning restrictions. In that neighborhood, you weren't even allowed to change your oil in the driveway.

But BTW, just hope most you don't have to wait till you're "over the hill" like me before you have your dream shop.

6. carmuts

carmuts

Shop is only 14' 6" X 32' so tight at best. Old shop was half that size and had a dirt floor, so better than what I started with. I did this 6 years ago, but with all that has happened in the last 6 years I have hardly had the time to enjoy it. Rod

Attached Files:

7. I built my roadster in a one car garage, 16 X 26. You work with what you have. I'm lucky because the garage is attached to the house under the bedrooms which gives me heat and AC so I was able to work all winter and in the heat of summer and be comfortable. When I built my 40 Chev P.U. I did that in a 15 X 22 garage at our old house, with no heat or electric, I had to run an extension cord out to get power so what I have now seems like heaven. It's nice to have a small search area when you lose something to.:D Kudos to you guys who are working in driveways and carports, I couldn't do that. My hat is off to you.

Attached Files:

8. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Having a garage at all sounds like decadent luxury to me. I wrench outside when the weather is nice, which is a about 1 day per year where I live.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my case the value of the truck has to get back up to where it's worth insuring.

I live in the middle of a 70 acre hay field and have a clear field of fire and a dog that will keep most guys in their car with the windows rolled up so I don't worry about the sticky finger boys too much. Something better than the 70+ year old garage I have now is on the drawing boards though.

10. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

Yup, not even a 1-1/2 car. Got alot of crap up in the rafters and in my basement. Have to do most of the work outside on the parking slab.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. thedrick

thedrick
    from latrobe pa

put the car on rolling dollies . in the summer i set up a giant harbor freight tent to work on it
    [​IMG]

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

This makes me glad I have my attached two car garage. It barely fits my galaxie and my wife's daily along with my shelves and fridge and tools, but I have a 8x16 and 16x16 sheds on the property, along with a greenhouse for all the lawn stuff, so it's not cluttered. It helps that the 16x16 has electricity and a loft too.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

After having a attached 2 car garage for 13 years I just moved in september of last year to a place with an unattached 1 car garage. definatly a big change and you have to keep it organized to be able to move around in there.

14. spaner

spaner
    from australia

i have a 34 x 63 ft garage also a double iwork in the drive way the bigger the shed more junk you store. yes and no organised areas.

15. KIRK

KIRK

It is something you just get used to. I built my car in a one car garage and it really was not so bad. Just have to keep things picked up and learn to work with your back close the wall. I have had the same car and the garage for almost 30 years and don't plan on any changes.

16. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i have a friend with a 200mph tube frame drag car he built in a one car carport---i have a 40x40 shop and a 28x32 shop , and a 24x12 carport and can't finish anything...

17. Brady

Brady

Im working in a 1 car garage. Currently have a 61 Lincoln in there have about a foot between the back of the car and my work bench and two feet between the front of the car and the door.

Put all your stuff on wheels and store anything you can from the ceiling. I second the suggestion about checking out the garage journal. Check out the 12 gauge garage over there for some cool ideas.

18. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

My garage is pretty small. I clear the entrance with inches on each side and I just make height. Once I get past the entrance I have about a foot all around. I mostly use the bed for storage and a work bench. I park close to one side to have enough work space on the other. I got used to it and it keeps me neat and organized. It helps that I have a lot of ground clearance a room under the hood.