Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever forget your driving a new car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-man313, Apr 4, 2013.

1. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

quite the opposite with me , I drive my DD silverado so many miles a day that sometimes when I get behind the wheel of the 64 I forget I have manuel drum brakes. I have had a few close calls.

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have a shitty short term memory ...

3. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Yeah your crazy! My 57 Dodge has four wheel drum brakes no power, no power steering no options at all completely bare as it gets. then I get into my Wife's 2008 Chrysler Aspen with every option available, heated power leather seats, back up camera, remote start, power tailgate, power steering/brakes with Disk, sunroof, three row seating, one touch windows, 20GB harddrive built into the stereo so I can load all my songs on the computer straight into the radio it had a dvd player built in with touch screen and bluetooth wireless headsets for every seat in the truck, and its got nice black with flake paint unlike my 57(primer) the only thing they do have in common is the aspens got about 400HP Hemi with loud exhaust, so they are both loud and fast thats about the only thing to mix up between them...LOL ....yes again you are crazy!:D

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

In my last rant, did I mention how friggin' much I &^%*#$* well HATE power windows that won't let me open a window just a little bit and F**KING door locks that trap me in and won't ever seem to let passengers out at any cost short of reading microscopic Hyroglyphics on tiny buttons? You couldn't GIVE me anything newer than '71 or so!!! OH WAIT! How about that M/Fin' annoying radio that gets louder and quiter as the pile of dung speeds up and slows down? Or the fact that it ALWAYS seems to find her shitty Chinese CDs?

5. A new car is one, where, when you need to move it a couple inches, you have to find the damn key, cause everything locks up when you pull out the key.

Cosmo

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try driving a tractor/trailor for 4,000 miles or so, then jumping in a modern car or truck with power steering. Jerkin' the steering wheel back and forth...lol.

7. BOHICA

BOHICA

While I'm not the Luddite a lot of people on here are, this statement is quite a bit in line with my own sentiments. I'm generalizing a bit, but I've always been of the mind that why should one spend $20,000 buying an entry-level economy car when you can (if you're able to) build a really cool old car on your own with $20,000 for parts.

I've pissed off a lot of new Jeep owners with that logic. :D

I like new cars, but manufacturers are constantly dumbing them down. My parents' 2009 Tacoma will not keep the air on recirculate after the outside temperature drops below a certain point. Every time you turn the truck on, you have the hold the recirc button down for two seconds to keep it from switching to outside air. Ditto for whenever you set it to defrost. It's ridiculous.

8. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

If I was single that would be my logic, but being married with a daughter I have to have something new to appease the rest of the family, even though Ive been trying to talk my wife into letting me gut her Chrysler aspen(Basically a Durango) and stick everything into a old 57 Dodge Town wagon, I think that would be cooler even with a modern drive train and all the accessories. Even though I am not totally against new cars there are a few I would love to own.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And I am with you on the Jeep thing I own a O/T 77 CJ5 and these guys spend so much on these jeeps trying to make them into CJ's when you can pick up a very nice CJ for under $5G's and I get from newer Jeep guys all the time "Hey I would sure like one of those CJ's some day.".....Makes no sense, sell your wrangler and you could build 5 really nice CJ's.....OK my rants done...

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

UKAde on here got a '37 Hudson when he needed a family car. He'd had a '20s Amilcar special before.

I read about a guy who bought a Daimler limousine when he needed a family car. I always thought an Austin FX4 taxi with some sort of serious turbodiesel swapped in would work for me.

10. BOHICA

BOHICA

Brother, that would be awesome. I can remember as far back as 2004 while sitting around in boot camp wanting to take a '50s Suburban or Big Three truck and stick a late model diesel drivetrain and interior in. A few months ago at the yard I work in, my boss got in a '94 Ram with a 5 speed Cummins. Rough body, but good mechanicals. Killed me to have to pass on it. He was going to let me have it for his cost - $1800.

Have you looked into getting a later model Durango with a bad Hemi? We just got an '04 in with a bad engine, and when pricing parts to sell off of it, there are already so many of them that have gone bad that everything but the engine is ridiculously cheap.

11. 63comet

63comet

That's a traditional option! Didn't Ford start that on the original T-bird?

12. 5CHERO8

5CHERO8

My daily driver was a 1966 Corvair with a mid-engine Olds 215. The shift pattern was a mirror image of the standard Corvair pattern. My racecar was a 1966 Yenko stinger – ok it was a modified Corvair. During practice at Laguna Seca, I braked into old turn 9 and had to think what the shift pattern was in order to grab first gear. After that, I changed the shift pattern on my daily driver by using a full-size Chevy side cover for the Saginaw transmission and morse cables to connect to the floor shifter.

13. I rented a KIA Soul a while back while I was out of town - jeez, what a horrible POS that thing is! Brakes are exceptionally touchy, the electrically-assisted steering is far worse than any of my '60s vehicles, and the overall build "quality" is not there at all! No wonder the ads show hamsters driving it. The placement of all of the controls is so wrong, and so "not-normal", that I truly hated that damn car. I couldn't wait to turn it in.

Got home and back in my old stuff, and I was once again a happy camper!

14. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Yep... I step out of my Escalade and into my hot rod truck and it's a whole new learning experience for a few minutes.

15. Old cars make you "read the road" new cars with all of the antilock brakes, power everything and sound proofing so well you couldn't hear a bomb go off next to ya just makes for comfy, inattentive drivers.

16. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Open tub to a Yukon.COMPLETELY opposite.

17. D-man313

D-man313

Anybody else??

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Touchy brakes, precisely! I hate the new brakes.

It's like the manufacturers are actively encouraging people to unlearn brake modulation and instead to trust all to the ABS in each and every braking situation. It's anathema to me.

19. D-man313

D-man313

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Why even drive a new car?? My daily is a '65...

21. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

The smells and feels are one of a kind in a hot rod!!! Plus people look and stare at you when pumping the street in a hot rod. Nothing like a new car!!!

22. D-man313

D-man313

Even through it was a new car, driving a 6 speed this past weekend. Thanks again Scotty. Got into my truck, it felt sluggish, didnt know what to do with my left foot, and kept waiting for it to shift out of 3rd.

23. kismyss

kismyss

I always grab for the manual window cranks from my 37 when I get in my 04 truck.

24. LAROKE

LAROKE

You really don't drive new cars. Ya just steer 'em.

25. So true. There is no road feel, by design. It is intended to allow the absolute least-talented "driver" to get in and aim it down the road with nearly no effort or talent required.

I was noticing the newer cars at the light today. They all look exactly alike, whether a BMW, a KIA, or a Chevy. Even the side contour lines look the same among them! Nothing original. All copies of each other.

My older son loves his '76 Buick Skylark (GM X-body) coupe. V8, auto, ps and pdb. That's it. Plus, the Appliance Apache wheels I had restored and put on the car recently, it really looks cool as hell. No seven million watt noise-maker, no 20" goofy-ass bling wheels, no airbags; just a fun mid-'70s GM car.

26. rld14

rld14

All the damn time. I have about 4 cars in regular use at the moment, my 60 Lincoln, 54 Customline and an old M5 and Jaguar XF.

They all have VERY different personalities. The Lincolns brakes take some adjustment once I start driving it as its got a treadle vac and those are... Touchy ;)

What really gets me into trouble is getting into the Jag after driving the Ford for a few days and then forgetting that it accelerates in about a third the time... Driving a tired 239 with a Fordomatic and keeping up with traffic around NY City means your foot is always planted.

27. OneBadMechanic

OneBadMechanic

Used to go between a '62 F100 with manual everything to an '09 Nissan Versa. I would hop in the Versa from the truck and suddenly be stomping the brakes way before a sign or light, take fat wide turns and yank the wheel hard when turning. Going from the Versa to the truck was even worse. My preference was the truck. Nothing beats simplicity.

28. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I parked my 56 Chrysler and was driving a buddies 59 fair lane for a week. I picked up the keys from him and got in. Bout 60 seconds later he says, "what are you waiting for?"

"Ummm... how the hell do you start this thing?"
    " From the left."
    "WTF?!" It was my first ford experience.

29. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

That's funny shit right there!:D

30. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I haven't driven a newer car in 3 years and then it was an ex-gf's p/u before then it was atleast another 4 years with a friends car, why the fuck do you guys screw with those appliances??? I mean there is still plenty of old tin out there still and it's the same price or cheaper