Register now to get rid of these ads!

New member 55 Starchief

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 55starchief, Apr 5, 2013.

1. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

I picked up a Pontiac starchief last year and finally got the time to tear into it.
    It's a 287 automatic power steering and brakes, i plan on keeping it pretty close to original. (may airbag it) The first thing being torn out is the braking system, but while I gather parts for it I noticed a antifreeze leak out the bock of the block down the oil pan.... ???Freeze out plug???.... I hope not a crack, not sure if the PO ever drained the engine I was told the last time it was driven Was early 80s. After going thru the manual I see what looks like two plugs one on each side of the block so out comes the engine this weekend!! This is the first car I'm working from this era and in sure il be posting plenty, so thanks for an advice of tips in advance!!

2. Had a 55 back in the 60's. Block frooze and cracked by the freeze plug.
    Why did they call it a freeze plug when the damn thing don't work.
    Anyway, we ground the crack and filled it with Devcon. Never leaked again. One of thes days I'll get me another 55. Good luck and welcome from Michigan.

3. jesse1980

jesse1980

Welcome fellow pontiac owner.

4. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

thanks for the welcomes,

im praying my freeze plug functioned right and the block did not crack.... if it did.... garabageeeee and in goes a 389. the reason id like to keep this is because i have paperwork supporting the mileage of 19,000 orignal with the original owners drivers license; who was born in 1893! plus my oil change sticker inside the door is at 13,000. id like to keep it all original but once the engine goes its a free for all...

5. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Welcome from South Ga...Enjoy

6. 55yak

55yak

Same thing happened to me once, on the left side and it is of course covered by the cast iron hydro bell housing. It's more than likely just the freeze plug but be very carefull to inspect the surface of the block the plug sits in very carefully for minor pits and clean and seal as necessary before installing a new plug. Use a really good sealant like Permatex #2, not yellow 3-M like I've seen some people do. Let it set up and cure before adding any coolant. This is a job you only want to do once.
    55yak

7. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Welcome from NC and great Poncho you have!

8. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

Thanks for the advice I began prepping the engine for pull, got everything about out as per the manual.... Quick question what is the " right engine side apron" can't figure out what they mean by asking to remover that. Also is the crank ventilation pipe the pipe that comes put of the back top of the engine and down the right passenger side? If so how do I remove it??