Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd U joint wear out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Jul 11, 2009.

1. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I ran into that with a stock 51 Ford...Turned out to be bad pinion bearings ,,,,,,Give that a check. Replacing the rear end fixed my shakey problem.

4TTRUK

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you sorted it :cool:.

I've had exctly the same issue but without the major vibe. The thing is that the joint cup in the yoke looks and feels like it's ok (like your first pic)when you've nothing else to reference it to. I only realised how wrong i was when i saw a tech at a driveline shop using a light hammer blow to get the cup into the seat (like your second pic) - that made me realise how wrong mine was. I'd replaced the joint about 4 times and had got to the end of my patience when the final one crapped out in less than a few hours!

The modest vibe i had was cured with a replacement tailshaft bush. And that was as easy as anything as i'd managed to scrounge the use of a bush remover that enabled it to be done in situ.

Chris

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Don't ya just love happy endings? Glad it's fixed! Now, you should drive it down and we'll all go out to dinner...

Brian

4. May Pop

May Pop

Ive had the same problem before.
    Eating u-joints at the axle. Ends up it was the yoke was worn out letting the cup wobble in the yoke slightly. Very common on Jeep Dana 35 rear ends.

Ron

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Thanks for the info....... Filing that for future reference !!!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

Do not forget about the tires, even new tires can be bad, bad tires vibration like to set in at a certain speed. Drive shaft should be constant.

Also check for dog tracking

and that there plenty of slip in the trans yoke to compensate for full axle travel

7. Normbc9

Normbc9

I have seen this result many times. Even if all the angles are correct when the vehicle is sitting here is some part of the drive line components that when spinning are not staying at an acceptable angle. Balance of the shaft is my guess. BUT... there are a lot of things that come into play. Is the strength of the shaft equal to the torque task it is being asked to do?
    Normbc9

Attached Files: