Register now to get rid of these ads!

Caveat Emptor – Beware of this guy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stude-1923, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Please be aware of this guy. He ripped me off for $200.00+. A hard lesson to learn and I don't want you to go through the same pain.

P.S. Ryan has yet to respond.

This is a message from nick.f33 at THE H.A.M.B. ( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php ). The THE H.A.M.B. owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email nick.f33, you can use this online form:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=214849

OR, by email:
    mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

let me know via email if you still need the 1923-29 Studebaker Hubcaps.

[email protected]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 14th

Nick Ford AKA Nick.f33 AKA Orville Eugene Ford

yes, i have them for sale.

March 14th
    I really would have loved to send photos but it keeps failing each
    time i try to upload pictures.

Here are the details you would need for payment via Western union:

Name: Orville Eugene Ford
    Address: 17281 Granada Drive, farmersville, CA 93223
    Amount: $200

After payment do email me the details below from the Western union
    payment receipt:

Sender's Full Name:
    MTCN:
    Amount Sent:

thanks,
    Eugene.

March 15th to me

Hello, have you sent payment yet?

March 17th
    From me to him

my apologies. I tried to break my hand twos days ago. I tried to crush it between a rock and hard spot so to speeak. it is still very swollen and hard to move but not broken... ihope. hunt and peck typing at this piont. I am working on western unioun now. I should have it processed in the next 30minutes. I have to have you infor on one page while i go through WU. again my apologies. i'll send you the WU info in a bit.

adam

March 17th
    From him to me:

Alright. I shall let you know when i pick up payment and ship
    out. I will email you a tracking # once am done with shipping.

March 18th
    From Me

I received notification that the funds were delivered. My caps and handles look like these. Thank you for finding them and sending them to me.

A

March 22nd
    To him from me

so where do we stand?

a

March 23rd
    From Him to Me

I shipped out yesterday.

March 29th
    From me to him

nothing has arrived as yet. how were they sent and did you get a tracking number and insurance on them?

thank you,
    a

no response

March 31st
    From me to him

happy easter. any tracking info for me? starting to worry since it has been so long.

No response

2. Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  3. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Hard lesson learned.

4. Yep, those are the first things I looked at as well, even before I finished reading the OPs entire post.

Joined in March. No posts, no biography information, no pictures... A tough lesson for a new guy to learn.

Ryan probably won't respond until he's back from partying up at the LSRU... not that there is really anything he can do since neither of you are Alliance Members...

I'm sure that guy will get his spammer account banned, but that's the extent of it.

Sorry about your luck.

5. Dude, NEVER, EVER send money by Western Union to someone you don't know.

6. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I saw where he got someone else for $140 about a month ago.
    Never deal with anyone that wants to be paid through Western Union. That's a BIG red flag.

7. F&J

F&J

No, this is an easy lesson. If you read the general forums on any car site, there are plenty of warnings about W.U., as well as oddly worded messages, lack of pic excuses, etc.

8. report it, not that it is likely you will get money back, but if running scams, there are likely cameras where he/she picked up the money, so I would notifiy police local to the Western Union...

9. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

You know he doesn't live in the US. He'd never risk it. Most likely a Nigerian. They do this all day long, and earn so much money they're considered heros at home. Driving new Mercedes, wearing the best clothes etc. So you don't even have the consolation maybe you fed a poor African family:-(
    Lesson learned - never pay by WU. Another way to check these people out to ask them if they also have the really rare brass distributor cap for your car, the ones that go for $500. If they have, walk away.
    Ed

10. I would suspect that Orville Eugene Ford is completely in the dark about what's going on, and that he only had the misfortune of having his last name be 'Ford' and having some details about him available online.

I would suspect that the real scammer is based out of Nigeria or somewhere similar.

EDIT: OP suggests that the money was picked up in Cali...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  11. jwray

jwray
    from Omaha, Ne

Another way to check these people out to ask them if they also have the really rare brass distributor cap for your car, the ones that go for $500. If they have, walk away.

You know that is a genus idea. I bet that would catch allot of non car guy scammers. I am filing that away for future use.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Western Union=NO DEAL!!!
    If you do, it only encourages other scammers to infiltrate the old car hobby with scams and screw it up for all of us. You have to send a message that our hobby is not "easy pickins" so they'll scam elsewhere.

13. I know. As paranoid as I am I still had to learn the hard way. I was leery but more interested in getting the parts that I took a chance. I KNOW my wife already called me a dumbass and I am beating myself up. I feel really STOOPID. I have a few options to try, but am not looking at success. The really bad part is someone has what I need but now I have to money for it. Thank you for the tips. I will go out and have my hands broken as a reminder... oh wait I already did that.

The guy picked it up locally in CA so it is probably the 34 year old. I will just write it off as an expensive lesson. I had asked previously if there was a watch list on the HAMB and got shot down by the admin so I posted this for as long as they will let it run so maybe someone else does not get burned.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, I bet it is identity theft and some 14 year old Nigerian or Russian kid now has a $200 pair of sneakers.

We have a case down here where scammers keep "renting" some guy's house out to tourists and the guy who owns the house isn't involved. People keep showing up at his house with suitcases saying they rented the home for their vacation. It has gotten to be so common to get ripped off these days by these low lifes that it is hard to trust anyone anymore.

Don

15. thanks for the tips. I guess we all have to be a little more carefull now days.

16. Update. Contacted VISA and they are very helpful. Since it was a good faith purchase for goods and not a money order, they may be able to reverse the payment. The e-mail documentation will help as he stated the items were sent.

Also Western Union has a fraud department. They are going to investigate, for what ever that means, and try to retrieve the loss. Also I will be filing a police report for interstate fraud. This will allow the FBI to pay him and the family a visit. Since it was noted there is a history of fraud with this person, there may be grounds to prosecute at the federal level. This only means he'll get a new job in congress. :D

There may be hope. I am willing to go the distance. I'll keep up the good fight.

17. F&J

F&J

on the next part you want, if you are concerned; ask the seller "is the back side marked with a B or a B2, because I need the B one". Then wait for a reply :)

18. If it was picked up locally in CA, it seems as though you are following the correct steps.

Unfortunately low life's are everywhere.

19. Be a bummer if the honest-citizen Orville Eugene Ford wound up with two shattered knee caps....

Bob

20. I don't think you'll find that Ryan will get too involved, he pretty much only gets involved when it's between Alliance Members - Hopefully he'll ban the guy, but don't expect much else.

21. If it is the honest one, then he has nothing to worry about. WU has surveillance on all of their locations they can pull an ID from the date and time of the transaction from the transaction record and take it from there. If Orville does not know he has been compromised he is about to. I wish I did not have to go there but dang it.... I have limited funds and little patience for thievery. With luck people will not make my mistake. Next I wonder what will be done in my name as the guy has it for shipping requirements. I still have to try to protect my identity as does everyone on the HAMB.

22. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

If Western Union has a fraud department I bet they are very busy.

23. I read in a book a while back that you can do a IRS 1099 form for loses. At year end file a 1099 and send to the perp and the IRS. He is then on the hook to the IRS for your loss.

24. I am going to see how VISA and WU do. With luck it will be resolved and I'll still be able to get what I need. Worse case is the IRS.... nuff said.

25. Good for you, man! I'm glad you're being pro-active. Go get em!!

26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My wife who is VERY suspecious and questions everything was taken for 400.00 in a Publishers Clearing House scam. I couldn't believe it when she told me what happened and I told her to just chalk it up and lesson learned. She paid with a Green Dot Card [whatever that is] and filed a claim with them and filed a police report. Dang if she didn't get all of the money back minus $14.00. Pursue it a little bit and you just never know?:rolleyes:

27. Update: Using Visa really paid off. They will refund my money and then pursue the issue with Nick.F33 / Orville Ford. Since he failed to provide the parts and it was a western union money order via credit card it worked out. Thank you Ryan for trying to reach him. I would bet he bailed.

So folks what I have learned.

Trust - with caution.
    Verify with pictures and contact information.
    Get a phone number and call them directly.
    Use a credit Card with Fraud refund capabilities.
    Use PayPal or the like.
    Be in good standing with the Credit Card Company
    Do NOT let the scuggins get away with it.
    Document everything through e-mail so the credit card company or paypal has evidence.
    Be willing to press charges.

What ever happened to the days where a man's or woman's word was enough? When you shook hands on a deal and that was a binding contract to both parties, though you did not have to say a word. Dang sure miss those days.

Side bar. Boy child was hacked off thinking his sister stole money from him. He forgot that he took his wallet to school, flashed his cash around and then left said wallet in backpack. Reminding him that he is required to carry his wallet and that he learned a cheap $5.00 lesson made me feel just like him... foolish.

As they say... fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, hunt the B****** down and leave him with a nice scar and two less fingers. Just kidding. Shame on me.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wonder how much these guys have made off the HAMB classifieds?

29. 2... much. We wonder why insurance and card fees and everything keeps going up. That is a completely different tangent.