Register now to get rid of these ads!

91 350 crate into 53 pickup(distributer questions)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950kale, Apr 4, 2013.

1. 1950kale

1950kale

Hi everyone, how are you all? i am putting a 1991 chevy 350 crate into my 1953 chevy 3800 and i was wondering about if i can run the same distributer and general ignition system. Can i install a vacuum advance, or do i need to get a whole new distributer? the ignition system looks just like any other (non-computer) one. (it has a coil and rotor and all, the only difference is that there is no vacume advance.) thank you in advance for your help, much appreciated.

Kale

2. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

You should get a distributor with vacuum advance and curved like a 70 350. After 73 the EGR systems really changed Vacuum Advance, if we plugged it, we had to put a 70 advance unit and 70 modulator or it would be pinging and early shifting.

I am assuming you won't b running egr.

Hoop

3. 1950kale

1950kale

Thanks, yea i'm gonna get an intake that will accept a quadrajet carb, so i'm not running EGR, & are you sure there is no way i could put an advance on the one already there?
    thanks
    Kale

4. Nailhead Jeff

Nailhead Jeff
    from fresno

If that 91 engine has a roller cam you will need a melonized distributor drive gear. The one off the computer controlled distributor will not fit the shaft size is different. You can order them from Summit or the GM dealer. A roller cam will eat up a soft distributor drive gear in about a week. Don't ask how I know.

5. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Yep, not practical,,,

6. 1950kale

1950kale

i believe it has a roller cam, so i need to order a what distributer?

7. Nailhead Jeff

Nailhead Jeff
    from fresno

8. odass

odass
    from se ok

I seen one of the stock distributor hooked up to a msd 6al box, I go back to my buddies house, ill get a pick, I know it ran Damn good, also I've done like 5 of these late model one piece motors all with after market cams and I have ran a hei dist , on all with no gear swaps. maybe it's the comp cams I've used. but I've got my 62 for over 5k miles no problems what so ever?

9. 1950kale

1950kale

so are you saying i may not even need a vacuum advance? does that mean i would have to hook up the computer?
    thanks for the link Jeff
    Kale

10. 1950kale

1950kale

This is strange, but my mom has a high performance ski boat from the early 90s and it has a ford 351M motor, with a 4 bbl holly and a distributer, with no advance, do you think that that might be a similar setup? i can look at that and try to figure it out, it just seems confusing that that would work with out a computer advance control.

11. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

A new electronic with vacuum advance is probably the way to go. HEI's run from 90 or so (Pro Form is GM Licensee) Small CAP Pro Comps are about 90 (mixed reviews), and name brand small caps electronic 180 to 250.

Don't forget the right gear.

You would need the Programmable 6520 MSD, a Map sensor, programming cable and software and a PC, the Box and sensor will run you about 450.

These new MSD programmable digital 6AL-2 ignition boxes give you the ability to tune an ignition curve or boost timing map from a PC. You still receive the 20 degree duration of multiple sparks combined with higher output to ensure complete combustion. The all-new MSD programmable digital 6AL-2 ignition boxes will easily connect to nearly any 12 V negative ground distributor system, even Hall-effect pickups. They offer higher output with up to 135mJ and 535 V and accept points and mag pickup triggers